Author Topic: Need some advice on Neo Geo  (Read 1188 times)

MurderDate

Re: Need some advice on Neo Geo
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2008, 07:58:49 AM »
Sengoku is the most atmospheric video game I've ever played.   I agree it's primitive but I don't necessarily always consider that a bad thing.  Outside of the amazing graphics and general design of the game , the actual game play is damn good.  It's stiff just like all of the other Neo Geo games from this era - but I think using the joystick to swing your sword around  and clearing the screen of the enemy is fun as hell. The game is brilliant, in my opinion. Genius.  I love it.  I love the graphics btw. 

I can't wait to play the sequals, which graphically look awesome but don't have the same bleak/psychotic/heavenly/hallucinatory look as the first.

Magician Lord is cool and even though I don't like it as much as I hoped (yet) I won't call it disappointing (yet).  but it sure is tough as balls! :o
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

Joe Redifer

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2008, 09:48:31 AM »
Magician Lord is only tough if you play it on the AES.  It's easy as pie on the MVS (and also lacks the intro).

Keranu

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2008, 09:59:21 AM »
I prefer the first two Sengokus over the third. The third one completely lost the 80's feel of the first two and it had those annoying frog enemies that took too much time to kill because they were too small.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Lochlan

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2008, 10:42:41 AM »
I prefer the first two Sengokus over the third. The third one completely lost the 80's feel of the first two and it had those annoying frog enemies that took too much time to kill because they were too small.

Whaaa?  A different graphic style and a couple frog enemies will sour you on a game with a superior game engine?

Sengoku 3 doesn't have the same "feel", yes, (I will agree that the earlier games had some interesting character design) but the feel it had was great (the graphics are among the best on the Neo) and it also had a fighting system that was far, far more complex and interesting -- it's nearly as complex as a fighting game, in the best possible way -- the controls are much tighter than in the earlier games, too.

Not to mention the great character selection worked a lot better than those transformations ever did.

Gameplay >> presentation, and Sengoku 3 has them both in spades (especially the former).
I'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

Keranu

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2008, 05:38:38 PM »
I never said Sengoku 3 was a bad game and I thought it was pretty nice, but I personally prefer the first two. Fancy complex fighting systems can be cool and all, but sometimes the simpler the better.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Lochlan

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2008, 06:25:21 PM »
I never said Sengoku 3 was a bad game and I thought it was pretty nice, but I personally prefer the first two. Fancy complex fighting systems can be cool and all, but sometimes the simpler the better.

No, you said you hated it and you hated me, so now we are sworn enemies. :evil:

Death to the heathens who would sully the glorious name of Sengoku 3!

nodtveidt

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2008, 01:01:57 AM »
Senwhat?

Turbo D

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2008, 10:11:37 AM »
Sengoku is a bad-ass sidescrolling beat-em up where you travel through insane worlds battling sick creatures while morphing into samurai and ninja!

Keranu

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2008, 04:19:55 PM »
Don't forget that you get to play as Kid Rock in the game!

Lord Thag

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2008, 10:28:48 AM »
I agree with you guys on Sengoku - awesome game. They used to have it at the Chuck E Cheese I worked at as a kid. Not only was it a fun beat 'em up, it was friggin' loooooong, which made for some great marathons.

Plus, why would anyone not want to play as a metrosexual pink cowboy who morphs into ninjas and samurai? I loved the cutscenes too. Every level says EXACTLY the same engrish blurb.

Good times, I really need to find a copy.
Dodging little white bullets since the Carter administration

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2008, 08:40:34 AM »
Sengoku you can get really cheap on AES. I got the US version for like $25. Sengoku 2 is more up there at around $100. I just wasn't much of a fan of part 3. The punch attacks always seemed kind of awkward like the electricity guy you could play as on Final Fight 3.

MurderDate

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2008, 02:08:37 AM »
best advice to give someone on here re: Neo Geo ... It's nothing like the Turo Grafx.  apples & oranges - both are fruit
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

Lochlan

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2008, 03:23:36 AM »
Sengoku 2 is more up there at around $100.

If you can find it, that is (and for the JP version -- US version is about $50 more) -- it's one of the rarer AES titles.

(And I will never, for the life of me, understand this 2>3 mentality.  You're all crazy, I say!)

Joe Redifer

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2008, 01:10:53 PM »
Part 3 is definitely the best (with part 1 being nearly unplayable).  Still, I'd rather play Streets of Rage 1 or 2 than Sengoku 3.

MissaFX

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2008, 07:39:16 AM »
It's been years since I pulled my NEO games out of storage, but these might be the only ones I still own since I sold off most of my arcade stuff years ago:
Crossed Swords
Garou (I have a pirate/knockoff cart of the prototype roms)
King of Fighters '98
Last Blade 2
Metal Slug X
Ninja Combat (or I think that is the name)

There's good reasons though why I kept each game.  Ninja Combat is supposed to be a side scroller, action game like those old Ninja Turtle kind of games where you just kill enemies over and over.  I am sure you can find heaps of people willing to dump it and Crossed Swords for nothing at all.  The other carts I have are more expensive though, but KOF '98 is probably a lot cheaper now than when I bought it.  Why do I still have 98 and not another one?  I don't remember. :oops:  I remember KOF 97 being fun though as well if you want to get a cheap KOF game just to have one.  The ones before 97 are not worth buying imo.

I keep wanting a mini MVS 2 slot from Japan...but even that would be hard to fit into my RV.  I already took the passenger seat out of it and I have a stack of AV stuff and consoles there.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08