Author Topic: Need some advice on Neo Geo  (Read 1193 times)

TR0N

Re: Need some advice on Neo Geo
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 04:53:30 PM »
Hmm, my only words of advice are.......

On The Gweeeeeen

You win this thread, dude.  That's awesome to the 69th power.

On a semi-related note: has anyone here played Kabuki Clash?  It's moderately priced (for the Neo0, but is it worth a shit, especially when compared to the Arcade Card game?
I have it's a different fighter for the neogeo.

It's not in the same league as,Last blade or Samurai Shodown far as weapon fighters go on the neogeo.

Still it holds it's own and i find it to be decent..but i'll say the boss's in it are rather cheap  :P

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

guyjin

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 07:17:47 PM »
Still it holds it's own and i find it to be decent..but i'll say the boss's in it are rather cheap  :P

Cheap SNK bosses? I don't belive it.  [-(

:wink:
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

TR0N

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 07:21:18 PM »

Cheap SNK bosses? I don't belive it.  [-(

:wink:
Cheap as a hooker that's been ridden to many times  :P

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

SuperDeadite

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 11:31:40 PM »
You have the AES Blazing Star?  Ummmm.... dare I ask how much you paid for that?

Yes I own an original AES Blazing Star.  The supermarket in my hometown had Blazing Star
in their MVS cab, and I loved playing it so much.  Years later when I learned about it existing
as an AES cart, it became one of my "dream games" so to speak. 

After I moved to Japan, I began collecting for the Neo.  After almost two years, I finally found
a store with Blazing Star for sale, and I bought it.  (I would never buy such a rare game
without personally inspecting it, so no internet shopping for me.)

I don't like thinking about money that is already gone, so I won't give you the price I paid.  In
Japan prices are cheaper then ebay, but it was still the most expensive game I have ever
purchased.   It was also the most expensive game in the entire store.  The clerk was in absolute
shock when this stupid-foreigner wanted their most expensive game.   :mrgreen:

https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=4839.msg88690#msg88690

Since these were posted I've also picked up Magician Lord and KoF'98.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Joe Redifer

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 12:09:33 AM »
Magician Lord is pretty rare.  I had to pay $240 for mine on eBay because they are so uncommon. JOKING!!!

I am interested in Matrimelee.  I think that title is hovering around the $180 mark brand new.  I recently picked up Shock Troopers 1st Squad.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2008, 12:46:54 AM »
Magician Lord is pretty rare.  I had to pay $240 for mine on eBay because they are so uncommon. JOKING!!!

I am interested in Matrimelee.  I think that title is hovering around the $180 mark brand new.  I recently picked up Shock Troopers 1st Squad.

Matrimelee is fun if you like silly games.  The music is either love-it or hate-it though.  (I love it myself) I'm curious about your "Shock
Troopers 1st Squad."  Only the sequal "Shock Troopers 2nd Squad" had a real AES release. The first game was MVS only.  Meaning
you either have a conversion, or 2nd squad....

http://www.neo-geo.com/snk/masterlist.htm
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Joe Redifer

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 08:09:52 AM »
It be a conversion, yo (but with real SNK parts from an original MVS cart).  Very high quality. 

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 05:36:38 AM »
Great cart Joe, I got mine 2 years ago. It is the one cart I really didn't mind doing a conversion of at all. Did you get it from Cgame in Singapore? He does a great job.

Some great action based games you may like would be Top Hunter and Spinmaster. Those games go for around $80-$100, not too bad. I noticed your not big into the 1-on-1 fighters for the Neo, but Last Blade 1 and 2 are just really, really fun. Plays way better than most weapon based fighters.

nodtveidt

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2008, 05:55:08 AM »
The original Last Blade is much better though, they kinda screwed the formula with the sequel. It just doesn't have nearly the same appeal, and isn't nearly as fun.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 01:05:32 PM »
Yeah it was from cgame, he does indeed do an awesome job.  I'm surprised it didn't come with some sort of fabricated manual.

I do want Top Hunter, Spinmaster, Matrimelee, Blazing Star (saw the AES version down at Goodwill for $20, still thinking about it) and maybe another fighter.

bust3dstr8

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2008, 04:43:23 PM »
Yeah it was from cgame, he does indeed do an awesome job.  I'm surprised it didn't come with some sort of fabricated manual.

I do want Top Hunter, Spinmaster, Matrimelee, Blazing Star (saw the AES version down at Goodwill for $20, still "thinking" about it) and maybe another fighter.

What da??  Huh...... :-s  Warning!!  Brain Meltdown!!!!
Joe????  are you a few fries short a Happy meal bro???

Clowns Suck

Joe Redifer

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2008, 04:51:11 PM »
I don't like what McDonald's recently did to their fries.  This is the second time in their history they've purposely made them worse.  I will no longer buy fries at McDonald's.

Keranu

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 05:21:26 PM »
The original Last Blade is much better though, they kinda screwed the formula with the sequel. It just doesn't have nearly the same appeal, and isn't nearly as fun.
Gameplay wise I prefer the sequel, but the backgrounds and music in the sequel just aren't as appealing as the first.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

MurderDate

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 03:52:47 AM »
In my opinion, the best reasons to get a Neo Geo are:  SENGOKU, SAMURAI SHODOWN II and THE ART OF FIGHTING.
From there you've got WINDJAMMERS, METAL SLUG, BASEBALL STARS 2, NEO TURF MASTERS, BLUE'S JOURNEY (I guess), LAST RESORT, BUST A MOVIE (AGAIN), MAGICIAN LORD, NAM 1975...    With one or two exceptions those are all cheapies (atleast on an MVS) - this group as a whole is pretty much the best early 90s creme to waste your time with outside of the TG.
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

Lochlan

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 03:11:24 PM »
In my opinion, the best reasons to get a Neo Geo are:  SENGOKU, SAMURAI SHODOWN II and THE ART OF FIGHTING.
From there you've got WINDJAMMERS, METAL SLUG, BASEBALL STARS 2, NEO TURF MASTERS, BLUE'S JOURNEY (I guess), LAST RESORT, BUST A MOVIE (AGAIN), MAGICIAN LORD, NAM 1975...    With one or two exceptions those are all cheapies (atleast on an MVS) - this group as a whole is pretty much the best early 90s creme to waste your time with outside of the TG.

I agree with all your suggestions except for Sengoku (I'm not big on AoF either, but it's funny for what it is as a 2-player game).  That game sucks horribly.  Really, really boring for a beat 'em up, and some of the worst graphics on the Neo (I would say it looks worse than Magician Lord, but that's a matter of opinion I guess).  The second one is pretty bad, too.

The third game, on the other hand, is a work of pure genius and is one of the finest beat 'em ups ever crafted.

And I wouldn't say "those are all cheapies".  Out of the ones you mentioned, only Sengoku, SamSho II, Art of Fighting, and Blue's Journey are what I would consider to be consistently inexpensive.  Magician Lord and Nam 1975 aren't super expensive, but both *can* be around $50 and are both somewhat difficult to find on MVS (as opposed to the home cart system, where they are both $20 games you can find anywhere) -- especially in kit form, if that's your sort of thing.  (Both are excellent games, however, and should be sought out in any case)
-Neo Turf Masters is ~$60
-Last Resort is $70+ (although it's the best shooter on the system, I like it more than Pulstar and Blazing Star)
-Winjammers is ~$50
-Baseball Stars 2 is ~$40-70
-Bust a Move Again is ~$100-120 (and IMHO if you really like bust a move that much you should just buy some of the ports -- I say this as someone who owns this cart)

I'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.