Author Topic: Can a DVD be made regionless?  (Read 896 times)

ParanoiaDragon

Re: Can a DVD be made regionless?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 10:25:52 PM »
I never could find anything stating what region the dvd is, unless it says it totally in japanese, which is unlikely.  I see all the other stuff like MPEG-2, Color, 4:3, & then a bunch of other boxes in japanese.

Keranu

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 12:05:42 AM »
By the way, this sort of bullshit is just part of why I hate DVD. LD forever!
My thoughts exactly!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

SignOfZeta

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 04:17:18 AM »
I never could find anything stating what region the dvd is, unless it says it totally in japanese, which is unlikely.  I see all the other stuff like MPEG-2, Color, 4:3, & then a bunch of other boxes in japanese.

If I had to guess I would assume you have some Taiwan pirate version of Y's. All the pirate stuff is region 0, so would play anyway.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 01:09:14 PM »
What is so great about videos that are from another region?  I hate anime with a passion, so I doubt I'd ever have any reason to import anything.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 01:33:18 PM »
Incase anyone is wondering the player I use,the Philips DVP3960 can be made region free easily,and supports divx playback. This player is usually found cheap as hell,and supports HDMI,and component. The only lacking feature is no s-video out oddly enough. Not a major deal though. It still supports composite and provides a clear picture through that too.

http://reviews.cnet.com/video-players-and-recorders/philips-dvp3960-dvd-player/4505-6463_7-32364788.html

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 03:01:56 PM »

If I had to guess I would assume you have some Taiwan pirate version of Y's. All the pirate stuff is region 0, so would play anyway.

Actually, I bought it from Falcom directly, it is part of one of the Falcom Special Box's(I forget which year).

quoth09

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 10:03:09 AM »
Ok, so, I just ripped a dvd out of curiosity(region 1) with DVD Decrypter.  Does anyone know how I can change the region, or make it regionless?  It seems like I need a file of some kind.  Possibly a region patch?  Oh, & btw, out of curiosity, I popped in the only foreign dvd I could think of that I have at the moment, & it worked in my DVD player!  It's the Ys 6 Movie Collection.  I assume it would be region 2, but, I suppose there's the possibility that it would be regionless?  Anyone know about this?

If all you are wanting to do is make a backup of a different region disc, and not modify anything, the easiest way is:
Use AnyDVD (or DVD43), then make an image or copy using Alcohol 120%, or some other disc imaging program (keep in mind, it should show Region 1 or Region ALL on disc type when you go to make the image), then burn.

As an alternative, you can use AnyDVD (or DVD43), and then use DVD Decrypter in ISO Read mode to make an image of the disc, but Alcohol 120% is much faster. You can do the same with DVD Shrink as well, or cut out audio languages/subs or other stuff if you are burning onto a DVD5 and the disc you have is a DVD9 (dual layer), which most usually are these days.

Also, if you have the plain files extracted on to your hard drive, and you just need to change the region: on DVD Decrypter, go to Tools, IFO, Region Patch, and then select the region you want, it should then ask you for the IFO or BUP file to patch.

As for the Ys disc, it could be regionless. If you bought it directly from Falcom, I wouldn't worry about it.

What is so great about videos that are from another region?  I hate anime with a passion, so I doubt I'd ever have any reason to import anything.

Out of anyone, you were one of the last people I would expect to be asking a question like that, especially since you work with video so much.

If you throw anime out the window as a reason of importing, there are still plenty of reasons, as it applies to most films:

1. IF you have a surround system that can take advantage of DTS, a lot of JP and European DVDs will usually have a DTS audio option, while the US versions will not, and only have Dolby Digital. DTS is not as popular in the US, as it is in the rest of the world. Anyone that knows anything about audio and the differences between DTS and Dolby, will tell you that DTS is better. Also, the bitrates on the DTS that is usually released on US discs, is usually half-bitrate at 768kbit, versus foreign discs usually being at 1536kbit. There is constant discussions about 448kbit Dolby 5.1 being better than 768kbit (half bitrate) DTS, but I believe it all depends on the movie. Now, given this is all about DVD, all of the stuff that is on HDDVD and BluRay is a different story, b/c it is usually uncompressed.

2. Video Bitrates on JP and Euro releases are usually higher than US versions. Especially JP releases, which have better Contrast levels, due to NTSC JP being IRE 0, versus NTSC US being IRE 7.5. Mastering also tends to be better as well.

3. Extra features not found on US releases that are on foreign ones: varies from movie to movie, but I personally like watching foreign trailers, etc. There is usually always something on foreign releases that are not on US ones. Also, a lot of countries get Special Editions, not to mention JP cover art, and everything else that goes along with it all. Extras tend to be plentiful on JP releases compared to US ones.

4. Movies / Videos that are just not released in the US correctly or at all, and may not ever be...dare I bother making a list? I have at least a few in my collection that will never be released over here, or correctly. Example: Kill Bill 1 (if you like the movie) is unedited in Japan, while over here in the US, they not only cut out parts, but made one scene completely black and white, while it was in color on the US releases. Blame the MPAA for those types of blunders; I don't care what Tarantino said about it being a different version or cut: when you completely remove scenes, it's considered EDITED!

If those aren't reasons enough for you (or you just don't care), then keep on doing what you are doing.
Warm milk, turkey, those can make you sleepy(well, the consumption of, you can't just hand around a turkey or a glass of warm milk, & expect to fall asleep).

guyjin

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 10:16:57 AM »
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 10:26:18 AM »
That's a lot of serious arguments for one of Joe's patented facetious comments.

Why?

Because they torture baby squids with cattle prods and squish them in vices to get the ink.  Poor baby squids.  [-(
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Joe Redifer

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 12:04:41 PM »
Because anime has become so cliche, their framerates are usually poor, I don't care for the artwork styles(**GASP!!!!**), their stories usually suck anus and they're just not interesting.

Quoth:
I am well aware of the difference between consumer Dolby Digital and consumer DTS (I have authored in both formats).  DTS really isn't as much better as you make it seem.  It's all in the mastering.  In fact the DTS tracks on DVDs by the Disney umbrella of companies usually sounds noticeably worse than the included Dolby Digital track (Pirates of the Caribbean, for example).  Also, keep in mind that the DVD laser can only read so much.  You can't increase the sound bitrate AND the video bitrate as well otherwise you risk playback issues on many players.  In DVDs that include DTS, the video bitrate usually hovers around 5-6mbps at maximum.... if you're lucky.  I like to author my DVDs at 8 mbps for video and even that is considered "pushing it".  It's not about how much can fit on the disc, it's about how much can be streamed at once.  In summary, DVDs are just a crappy format.  I also don't like my MPEG-2 encoded at 25fps with pitch-bended audio as they do in PAL-land.  24fps or nothin' (unless the original material is in a different framerate, of course).

I will concede to your Kill Bill volume 1 argument.  But that really should have been released as an UNRATED ZOMG DVD instead of just the theatrical "R" version.  I love how "UNRATED" is always bigger than the title of the movie on those lame ass comedies.  Hopefully they will come out with a Blu-ray version of Kill Bill that has the ZOMG UNRATED version.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 12:07:34 PM by Joe Redifer »

Black Tiger

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 03:32:23 PM »
Because anime has become so cliche, their framerates are usually poor, I don't care for the artwork styles(**GASP!!!!**), their stories usually suck anus and they're just not interesting.

I don't like almost all modern anime, but I still consider myself a fan of the genre in general.

I also don't most games that are released now, but I don't hate video games either. :P
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 04:25:35 PM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

quoth09

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 04:34:51 PM »
Quoth:
I am well aware of the difference between consumer Dolby Digital and consumer DTS (I have authored in both formats).  DTS really isn't as much better as you make it seem.  It's all in the mastering.  In fact the DTS tracks on DVDs by the Disney umbrella of companies usually sounds noticeably worse than the included Dolby Digital track (Pirates of the Caribbean, for example).  Also, keep in mind that the DVD laser can only read so much.  You can't increase the sound bitrate AND the video bitrate as well otherwise you risk playback issues on many players.  In DVDs that include DTS, the video bitrate usually hovers around 5-6mbps at maximum.... if you're lucky.  I like to author my DVDs at 8 mbps for video and even that is considered "pushing it".  It's not about how much can fit on the disc, it's about how much can be streamed at once.  In summary, DVDs are just a crappy format.  I also don't like my MPEG-2 encoded at 25fps with pitch-bended audio as they do in PAL-land.  24fps or nothin' (unless the original material is in a different framerate, of course).

I will concede to your Kill Bill volume 1 argument.  But that really should have been released as an UNRATED ZOMG DVD instead of just the theatrical "R" version.  I love how "UNRATED" is always bigger than the title of the movie on those lame ass comedies.  Hopefully they will come out with a Blu-ray version of Kill Bill that has the ZOMG UNRATED version.

I have compared too many DD to DTS, and the winner has always been DTS for me. It's my opinion obviously. You have your ears, I have mine. I have also authored in both as well, and honestly, I would rather do PCM. But when it comes to 5.1 or whatever, DTS has much better quality under compression, and the dynamic range blows Dolby out of the water, and makes it sound like a music box in comparison.

That's Disney. I ignore anything they release, because I'm not a child. They release children's movies. They condone that everything is all fine, wonderful and happy in the world, and ignore everything bad. As such, I could care less what Mary Poppins is doing to Aladdin, or what Evil Witch is feeding a poison apple to a Dalmatian. For people that have kids, great. Not my thing, nor will it ever be.

I'm well aware of the bitrate limitation of the DVD format, as I know you do as well. In regards to everything hovering around 5-6MB, it all depends on the master, as well as the company. There is more than enough bandwidth available to do a full bitrate DTS track and still get 8MB video. I have seen it on discs this way also, but very few. Had no problems playing on either of my players, or my computers.

You are right though, space isn't an issue. Companies can easily do a second disc for extras, and leave the whole first disc for the movie. With dual layer discs, for a 2hr movie, it is nothing to be able to do it. They just don't b/c the common consumer doesn't even notice, or demand it.

PAL is Europe. I was mainly talking about Japanese releases, which are in NTSC @ 29.97, or 24. Some movies aren't released in NTSC format areas, so you don't have much of an option, and when they are, sometimes those companies use PAL masters, which have ghosting after the conversion usually, unless they know what they are doing (usually they don't).

Just about everything I have compared when it comes to US and JP releases, the JP versions came out on top, quality wise.

The whole unrated thing has become over hyped. Most of the time I ignore it, or I find out from other sources if it is true or not. As far as it being released unrated over here, I really doubt it will be anytime soon. Tarantino is too buddy buddy with major film making to do anything like that. Go look up what all he said about the editing to the movie over here when it came out, and his reasoning. It's nothing but excuses. That is all any of it ever is.
Warm milk, turkey, those can make you sleepy(well, the consumption of, you can't just hand around a turkey or a glass of warm milk, & expect to fall asleep).

MrFulci

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 06:17:33 PM »
What is so great about videos that are from another region? 

Reasons for me include:

- I cannot find the movie in Region 1, but it is available someplace else.

- Movie is; widescreen, unmatted, uncut, better picture, etc    Something that makes it more desirable than it's region 1 version.

DTS has never been a deal breaker for me. I am picky about video, so I have displays calibrated. 5.1 is good, whether DTS or dolby. 2 speakers and a sub is also OK with me. My eyes are better than my hearing, hahaha.

If I want better audio (and picture quality!) quality, there are always Blu-Ray's uncompressed audio tracks....  If that movie is available on Blu-Ray.

I disagree with quoth that nearly everything Japan stomps the region 1 version of the DVD. I've been into DVD for years, sometimes this is true, but not always. Then again, if you refer to japanimation, that may be true, since most of that is from Japan.

-----------

Also, a few years ago when I heard of Oppo I was skeptical about the players. After playing with 3 of them (970, 981, and 983), and owning two, I say they are great for folks into great quality players, with region-free and PAL/NTSC capability.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

SignOfZeta

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 06:51:54 PM »
Back in the days of LD importing stuff from Japan made a lot of sense. Since the DVD boom though I haven't found one non-anime thing I've ever wanted a R2 version of. It seems like if a good R1 version doesn't exist, you only have to wait a few months before they shit out 3 or four more special editions and you get the special material you wanted.

termis

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 07:30:42 PM »
There's just something that makes me hate anything that's region-fixed.  I like my choices, no matter how little I may use it.

Basically, EVERYTHING that's connected to my TV is region free -- Duo (US/JP switch), Saturn (US/JP/EU switch), Dreamcast (modchip), & the DVD Player (region-free).