Author Topic: Why is the TurboBooster as big as the console itself?  (Read 1509 times)

Nintega Turbine Trio-CBS

Re: Why is the TurboBooster as big as the console itself?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 04:32:22 PM »
Back in the 80's people were complete dipshits (unlike these days where everyone is smart)

I strongly disagree because in this decade, many people let George W. Bush stay in the White House for another 4 years.  [-(

guyjin

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 11:44:34 PM »

:)

A match made in heaven:

it's like the mutant child of a TG16 and a neo geo!  :lol:
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Tatsujin

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 12:48:43 AM »
THIS IS MADNESS!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

ceti alpha

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 01:39:40 AM »
So this is why George Bush is opposed to stem cell research!  :idea:

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Turbo D

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 10:57:50 AM »
George Bush doesn't want me to use stem cell research to bond a turbo with ps3 for bluray arcade cd madness!

spenoza

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2008, 12:43:16 PM »
You forgot to change the name to Military Fatness.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Nintega Turbine Trio-CBS

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 12:56:31 PM »
Oh my Sara looks different with that Super Turbo Booster II EX+ Alpha  :D

esteban

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2008, 03:00:41 PM »
You forgot to change the name to Military Fatness.
Hahahahhaaaa. I was going to recycle my old (lame) comment that HuCard was short for HumongousCard, but Fatness puts that nonsense to shame.
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2008, 03:56:59 PM »
Oh my Sara looks different with that Super Turbo Booster II EX+ Alpha  :D

How exactly would you play a CD with the booster on? Perhaps the Super Turbo Booster II EX+ Alpha already includes CD support (as well as HD DVD/BluRay/Laserdisc support, of course).
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2008, 04:01:12 PM »
I know the Super TurboBooster II' EX + Alpha can play Blu-ray, LaserDisc and Vinyls, not sure about 8-track cassettes or CDs, though.

nectarsis

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2008, 04:03:40 PM »
The 8 track player was a seperate addon w/cassette capability.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Keranu

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2008, 04:13:27 PM »
I heard it can run CEDs as well.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

sideshow

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2008, 07:15:51 PM »
Turbo Booster plus was such a ripoff.  I mean if it gave you digital 5.1 suround it would of been worth it but come on.  The turbo CD expansion was worth it mainly because of Ys I and II but booster is a not go.  It was a marketing hoax of the 80's.  Good idea making it a huge piece of hardware.  Tricked most people in thinking it could tap into the pentagon and such.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 07:19:37 PM by sideshow »

Black Tiger

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2008, 05:54:26 AM »
Turbo Booster plus was such a ripoff.  I mean if it gave you digital 5.1 suround it would of been worth it but come on.  The turbo CD expansion was worth it mainly because of Ys I and II but booster is a not go.  It was a marketing hoax of the 80's.  Good idea making it a huge piece of hardware.  Tricked most people in thinking it could tap into the pentagon and such.

The Booster Plus was the equivalent of a back up ram cart in the 32+-bit generation. It was still worth it just for composite out. Getting to replace the shell in the back with something you never have to remove just to plug in the ac adaptor was a bonus too.

The PS3 shipping with only composite cables for hundreds of dollars more than the Xbox 360 is a way bigger rip off than the TG-16 requiring a Turbo Booster to use a video connection most TVs didn't even support at the time.

Where I lived the Turbo-CD was $800 and the Turbo Booster was $50. Not only were dollars much more valuable back then, it was more so if you weren't an adult. The Turbo-CD only ran two games for quite a while. Even after Ys I & II finally came out, that was a huge amount of money to run a single game. Plus the Turbo-CD was such a huge piece of hardware that the combo was the largest console since the pre-8-bit generation.

Try telling a kid who doesn't want to continue keeping pages of password logs just to play Dragon's Curse or continue guessing at all the password icons in Neutopia that look identical to others on TV sets of the time in RF that they should steal a few cars to finance a Turbo-CD instead of simply skipping their next game purchase to make many of the games they've already own playable.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Gentlegamer

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2008, 01:22:07 PM »
I've discovered that the Xbox makes a great Turbografx-16 + TurboBooster shelf in your entertainment center since it has pretty much the same footprint.  :)