Author Topic: Honestly. Do you tell people you meet in real life that you are a gamer?  (Read 1252 times)

Black Tiger

I've never had someone introduce themselves as "Hello my name is Susan, I am a golfer".

If retro "gaming" somehow comes up in a conversation with someone I've recently met, then I don't try to hide anything. But just like anything about myself, I don't suddenly go off on a rant about how its my whole life, because its not.

Most people think its cool when it does come up, just like how most men and women my age think that other "kid's stuff" from the 80's is cool. Usually they ask the best way to track down an NES or Atari.

The retro angle does seem to carry the mystique of a genuine hobby though, as opposed to "All I do is play PS3 games all day long!!!"
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

nectarsis

Well said BT  :clap: :clap:
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Game and Watch Kirby

I do, actually. I have no problems telling anyone that I'm a gamer whenever I get the chance to. People are typically all right with it (though there was a peer or two that thought of it as awkward for me to be interested in them), as it's asked as something I like to do for fun or one of my interests. I've even made a few acquaintances and friends through exposing this fondness myself, YouTube or otherwise, also. However, the only real time I would keep my video game business private is if a family member were to walk in or ask what I was doing, and I was planning to play or playing them. I normally would stop or tell them that I'm hanging out/doing nothing special (which is, in part, true, since the activity is normal for me to do). I halt my doings in case they want to talk to me, and since I'm considered to be the only true gamer among it, I don't say much pertaining them due to the lack of proper understanding.

There are a few questions that I would like to ask you, too, Nintega: Since you fear exposing your interests for video games to new people you meet in real life, has the idea ever occurred to you that you could meet a YouTuber that you've had a great deal of contacting with in real life and they wanted to talk about games with you? Perhaps, even, were you scared of exposing your hobby when you've first became a member there (or anywhere else on the Internet, for that matter)? Lastly, have you tried to tell anyone (a good number of folks and the opposite gender, referringly) that you like to play them before? If not, when you have the opportunity to, tell someone that might be interested to hear that you do have a likeness for them, and see what happens. It may turn out better than what you think.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 05:59:31 AM by Game and Watch Kir »
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx.com

MurderDate

I don't say shit about myself to anybody until they ask.
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

ceti alpha

Say it loud, and say it proud: "I LOVE TEH TURBO!!!"

A friend of mine called me the other day after work asking what I was up to. I was completely honest. I said I was trying to beat the last two levels of Dragon Spirit. He then asked, "What's that?". I replied, "It's a game for the TG-16." He then said, "Dork." My retort was, "Indeed. But isn't that like the pot calling the kettle black?".

You can't take yourself too seriously. If anyone really tried to make fun of me for being into retro gaming, or gaming in general, I would have a field day. Because the chances are that these people are watching American Idol or Big Brother while we're trying to find out how the hell to get the necklace that gives you 99 continues in Parasol Stars.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

termis

I don't generally talk about it because no one really cares, nor do I expect them to.  And even when the topic comes up, it revolves around the shit that everyone knows about, i.e. Super Mario Bros, Zeldas, Tetris, etc.  Other than that, I've yet to come across anyone outside of my old-time friends where I can have a conversation for more than 30 seconds about the consoles I usually play.

Why the hell does it matter, anyway?  I don't go and tell people straight off the bat of the "cooler" shit I do either.

Sinistron

Why the hell does it matter, anyway?  I don't go and tell people straight off the bat of the "cooler" shit I do either.

Eggs Act Lee.  :-"

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
Quote from: Tatsujin
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

Lochlan

I tell everyone what a huge nerd I am, and mostly I am loved for it.  Not that I introduce myself as such, but after a couple "what do you do"-type questions it becomes immediately obvious.

I'm double majoring in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (with a minor in math!), I love cartoons, I love comic books, I love Godzilla and Ultraman, and I have over 700 video games (including 3 arcade cabs).

Only somebody really lame wouldn't want to associate themselves with me based on the above.  My girlfriend is so understanding of my nerdiness that she allows me to overtake a whole room in our two bedroom apartment for my games -- that's love, right there.
I'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

nectarsis

MARRY HER  :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :dance:
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Keranu

The biggest nerds are the ones in denial.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Nintega Turbine Trio-CBS

I tell everyone what a huge nerd I am, and mostly I am loved for it.  Not that I introduce myself as such, but after a couple "what do you do"-type questions it becomes immediately obvious.

I'm double majoring in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (with a minor in math!), I love cartoons, I love comic books, I love Godzilla and Ultraman, and I have over 700 video games (including 3 arcade cabs).

Only somebody really lame wouldn't want to associate themselves with me based on the above.  My girlfriend is so understanding of my nerdiness that she allows me to overtake a whole room in our two bedroom apartment for my games -- that's love, right there.

Holy shit lucky you.  :shock:

Nintega Turbine Trio-CBS

Well people based on what you folks posted, I am coming to the conclusion that I'd probably fit in where ever you all live at because in my neck of the woods almost everyone, if not everyone period,  is judgemental, ignorant, and high strung. You'd lose some brain cells trying to makes friends with those spawns of Satan.  [-(
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 02:28:58 PM by Nintega Grafx-16 »

Zeon

Holy crap! I didn't realize telling others about your interests and hobbies (in this case retro games) was such a big deal! Maybe I live in bizzaro world or something, but one of the first things that comes up in a conversation with people I meet in person or other wise is my hobbies. In my case it's my passion for retro games. Not once has anyone called e a dork, nerd, or whatever and act like I was insane. Although I am sure a few could care less, most think that my passion for games is awesome. In fact many are always having me remember a game they saw or played as a kid. When people come over for the first time, they typically spaz at my collection (though I personally don't think it's THAT great). Often we end up playing old games for hours.

Seriously why would anyone who's social hesitate to tell people about what interests them? Things like sports and cars bore the hell out of me, but I'm not going to ignore you/look like you are crazy just because our interests aren't the same. Sure I won't be able to keep up in a conversation in sports, but I'll listen.

MissaFX

Well people based on what you folks posted, I am coming to the conclusion that I'd probably fit in where ever you all live at because in my neck of the woods almost everyone, if not everyone period,  is judgemental, ignorant, and high strung. You'd lose some brain cells trying to makes friends with those spawns of Satan.  [-(

You just described all the people who live in the town near where I live now.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

geepee16

it's even harder for japanese to admit it sometimes because the perception is a little harsher for gamers here.  i have never avoided saying it though.  it's an easy way to screen people too.  people will either accept it as a fact of who you are, try to change you or just be turned off.  the latter don't like you and likely won't.  the middle probably do you like but don't respect you.

just be who and what you are and don't hide it.  you'll ultimately hate yourself or resent the person you changed for if you try to keep it secret. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 06:21:39 AM by geepee16 »