Author Topic: AKIRA.....THE FILM????? !!! I just heard about this..  (Read 1000 times)

rainbow_bright

AKIRA.....THE FILM????? !!! I just heard about this..
« on: July 25, 2008, 05:37:41 AM »
Now Admittedly I am not a big anime fan thesedays, but this can't be good. Can it?

nodtveidt

Re: AKIRA.....THE FILM????? !!! I just heard about this..
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 08:59:08 AM »
Why not?

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 09:34:41 AM »
I didn't like it even when it was new about 6,000 years ago.  Highly overrated and made me think that anime was extremely pretentious.  Tetsuo!  Testuo!  Shut the f*ck up already, a$$hole!  What a dumb movie.

Digi.k

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 10:30:25 AM »
I didn't like it even when it was new about 6,000 years ago.  Highly overrated and made me think that anime was extremely pretentious.  Tetsuo!  Testuo!  Shut the f*ck up already, a$$hole!  What a dumb movie.

Was this the english dubbed one?.. the early one where all the characters sounded like T.M.Ninja Turtles cause that was baddddd... :o

Storyline is a bit weak considering the original size of the manga and how they had to shave off lots of the storyline for the movie but when it came out it got a lotta people into anime..it got me into anime!

considering it came out in 1988 I still love it I think its a classic and ageless mostly because I was wowed by the visuals.. ^_o
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 10:33:02 AM by Digi.k »

guyjin

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 10:58:13 AM »
Akira is overrated. Not the worst 124 minutes of my life, but not a classic.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

albinoMithos

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 11:00:29 AM »
Yeah really it was OK at best.  I'm not sure why it's highly acclaimed.

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 11:02:09 AM »
Akira is one of the few animes I enjoy (and one of the first I've seen).

A live action film would probably be as good as a live action Street Fighter. ;)
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

rainbow_bright

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
It was the first anime I watched, and one of only two I now own.

Turbo D

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 12:23:59 PM »
I enjoyed Akira a lot. I don't know how good a live action version could be, but I'd watch it anyways.  :)

Bonknuts

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 04:10:27 PM »

Highly overrated and made me think that anime was extremely pretentious.

Maybe 'cause you guys didn't see it bank in '89? It was a big deal then.  Also, "anime" wasn't around back then.

Was this the english dubbed one?.. the early one where all the characters sounded like T.M.Ninja Turtles cause that was baddddd... Surprised

There is a new English dub version.

albinoMithos

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 05:07:38 PM »
Maybe 'cause you guys didn't see it bank in '89? It was a big deal then.  Also, "anime" wasn't around back then.

You're kidding right?  1989?  Anime was around then.  Was it in America, not the large volumes of it we get today, but it was around.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 06:53:46 PM »
Quote from: Digi.k

Was this the english dubbed one?

It likely had English dubbing, but it was the LaserDisc and it probably had both soundtracks... can't recall if it had subtitles.  But it was also one of the first animes I had seen, though I probably didn't watch it until 1991 or so. 

The first true anime I saw was at some convention in 87 or 88 maybe of a girl in a sailor suit jumping around kicking holes in giant robots.  It was playing at some dealer's booth and when he saw that I was just standing there watching it, he turned it off.  I have no idea what it was, but for a long time after that I would look at LaserDiscs to see if I could rent it.  Imagine my surprise that nearly ALL animes have some chick in a sailor suit.  I rented one and I'm not sure if it was it or not.  One of the other girls in the video I rented was very interested in making the main sailor suit girl hers.  It had great dialog like "I must make her mine!".  No further explanation was offered.  Japanese with English subtitles.  I maybe have a clip of it on S-VHS somewhere.  It sucked.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 06:55:54 PM by Joe Redifer »

termis

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 07:16:20 PM »
Akira is also the only anime DVD that I cared enough to buy.  It can't be labeled overrated by some if majority didn't think it was great.  It was a neat film where all those little attention to the details made it cool -- things like those light streaks, the look of the neon glow, shattered glass sparking, the guy getting shredded up by bullets, etc, etc.

I remember an anime-fan buddie of mine hating on Akira, saying how overrated it was, and how the general laymen think that's how all anime are supposed to be and shit like that.  And yeah, I can give him that, but then this guy goes off and watches little girlie sailor-suit-type anime.  Hm.. so shit like that is supposed to be the real-deal anime?  :-s

Anyway, back on topic, I can't really see how this thing is going to look half-decent as a live action film.  I can already imagine that it'd rely heavily on CGI, which is a bit off-putting IMO.

Keranu

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 09:10:07 PM »

Highly overrated and made me think that anime was extremely pretentious.

Back when I was a kid, we used to always call it "Japanese animation". This then evolved into "Japanime" and eventually became "anime" once it was really getting mainstreamed out here.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Bonknuts

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 05:36:30 PM »
Hah - Keranu understood what I meant  :D