Author Topic: Brand New Selad Import Adapters!!  (Read 377 times)

atr3yu

Brand New Selad Import Adapters!!
« on: August 02, 2008, 03:59:25 PM »
http://home.clara.net/robwebb/shop/pce/pce.htm

Pricey but worth it if you really want one as it is sealed and in great shape. A buddy ordered one from there and I wanted to make sure all was godd before telling anyone though I doubt they will order it :lol:

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: Brand New Selad Import Adapters!!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 09:40:06 AM »
man, there is some other nice stuff too.

might grab a stepdown transformer ,heh
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

vestcoat

Peluso8

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 01:14:10 AM »
These are half the price.
http://www.telegames.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=329_107_108&products_id=7922&osCsid=0263c2b78936f2d6778a67366ff3a6db

You're looking at $70US shipped. Thats more expensive than buying a PC Engine. If you're buying one to collect it, thats fine but if you're buying to use it, it really makes no sense. :)

Joe Redifer

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 02:22:24 AM »
I doubt anyone would buy a converter for collection purposes.  They'd want to use it.  I'd sooner buy a PC Engine for collection purposes.  As a bonus, the PC Engine can be used!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 03:26:26 AM »
You're looking at $70US shipped. Thats more expensive than buying a PC Engine. If you're buying one to collect it, thats fine but if you're buying to use it, it really makes no sense. :)

Agreed, but only if one is looking to simply play PC Engine titles.  It makes a bit of sense if one is looking to use a Tennokoe Bank and/or an Arcade Card with their TG-CD/Duo and would rather not permanently modify their hardware.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

SignOfZeta

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 06:42:16 AM »
So...are people actually aware that HuCard converters aren't official merchandise? Its a useful, but hand-made piece of junk. There is no "factory seal" because there is no factory and the little baggy is open at the top.

For fifty quid plus shipping you could have a PC Engine, and a TG-16 both. These things are just stupidly overpriced.

My converter came free with a copy of SFII', which was a $130 game at the time and mods were unheard of. In that 1993 context they make sense. Now that mods are easily availible for $65 or so, and systems for even less, these things just don't make any sense except from a "collectors" perspective, and they are super lame in that regard too. Sort of like collecting Taco Bell cups or the stickers Game Stop puts on all your games.

Edit: I just noticed that that same page has a CG2 with Tenokoe 2 and controller for £44...seriously, adaptors are stupid.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 06:44:00 AM by SignOfZeta »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 08:30:43 AM »
Its a useful, but hand-made piece of junk.

Really?  Mine does exactly what it was designed for, so I don't know how it could be classified as useless garbage.  :P

Now that mods are easily availible for $65 or so, and systems for even less, these things just don't make any sense except from a "collectors" perspective

As vestcoat noted above, they can be had for $70 shipped - essentially the same price as a region modification.  As I said, they make perfect sense for Arcade Cards and Tennokoe Banks, as you'd be hard pressed to pick up a Duo for that amount and not everyone wants to drill holes in their Turbo.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 09:24:12 AM »
Its a useful, but hand-made piece of junk.

Really?  Mine does exactly what it was designed for, so I don't know how it could be classified as useless garbage.  :P

Read your own quote of my post. I specifically said it had a use, its just not a very relevant one in today's NEC economy. I'm not sure where the $70 figure came from, but fifty quid is about 1 hundred US dollars even, plus shipping. Most people interested in converters have US systems, so they can either spend $70-115 on a once-relevant piece of hackware, or have a mod. I guess some people are really picky about not modding their systems, but to my eye a descretely installed switch at the back of the system that you can't even see is a lot more tidy than a huge piece of plastic sticking out of the front with your HuCard exposed.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 10:12:57 AM »
Read your own quote of my post. I specifically said it had a use, its just not a very relevant one in today's NEC economy.

That's just me being equally facetious.  By definition, junk is useless.

I'm not sure where the $70 figure came from, but fifty quid is about 1 hundred US dollars even, plus shipping.

Was my post in code?  Follow the link found in vestcoat's post and you'll find Telegames selling the same converter for £25 (a.k.a. $70 after adding shipping).  :wink:

vestcoat

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 11:35:27 AM »
Yes, adapters are totally stupid and overpriced.
However, there is one point that everyone overlooks whenever the old Converter vs. Mod debate comes around: converters can "modify" more than one system.

Mods are great if you have a lonely Duo.  Converters start to make sense if you have multiple U.S. consoles.

I have a Turbo Duo and I'll eventually get it modified but I'm not in a hurry--I don't want to have all of my eggs in one basket in case something goes wrong that I can't repair.  I use my Mirai adapter with my Duo for Arcade Card games and the Tenonkoe Bank.  To make the Duo's card slot last as long as possible, I play all of my actual hucard games through a TurboGrafx with a TurboBooster Plus, using the same Mirai for the imports.  The adapter sees more action when I want to play PCE games on my TurboExpress.  All of this makes it worth the $. 

$70 is as cheap as non-Barney converters get these days and, if your set up is similar to mine, it might be worth it.  I picked one up from Telegames a few months ago after five years of gaming made my old one rather touchy.  The Mirai converters are good but they do wear out over time.  Oops...Having said that, I once again concede to the superiority of system modifications! :D

(Unless someone can find a Kisado for less than $70)

SignOfZeta

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 04:29:03 PM »
Yeah, I'm down to just two systems these days, but they are both Japanese and so are almost all of my games. If I had US systems I would need the adaptor for every game I have except Chu Man Fu, so it would always be sticking out of my system like a permanent diving board. Nowadays when I want to play CMF I just flip the switch.

Peluso8

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 01:48:22 AM »
What would it take to make one of these? I have a friend who would love to tackle something like this, if there was step by step instruction.

Turbo D

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 08:31:05 PM »
The only hard part is getting a hucard connector. I imagine the pcb would be easy to have produced.