Author Topic: The issue with celebrity autographs  (Read 760 times)

Dark Fact

The issue with celebrity autographs
« on: October 18, 2008, 03:59:03 PM »
I'm starting a thread here dealing with an issue that's been with me for a week.

Last week, the city of Winnipeg where I live had its own annual comic book convention.  The programming for the con was one of the best I've ever seen.  We had many celebrity guests including John "Q" De Lancie, Lou "The Hulk" Ferrigno, Jeremy "Boba Fett" Bulloch, and Levar "Geordi LaForge" Burton. 

However, a single autograph from any of these guests involve having to pay a minimum of $20.

Now, I understand their positions as celebrities but I've also been to conventions where other famous names gave their autographs for free.  And now, I'm on the fence as to whether or not it's considered worth it for any celebrity to charge for autographs when there are those out there who care about the fans and let them have their sig for free.

So what do you all think? Is the charges for a signature worth it? Or is it a case of the celeb using their star power to exploit their fans?

Discuss.

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Michael Helgeson

Re: The issue with celebrity autographs
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 04:18:05 PM »
Well, personally to me, unless they plan to provide you with a certificate to go along with it to validate your autographed item, then no, they should not be charging for it, as it would serve more or less just as  a memento for personal reasons, not monetary gain. Money wise it wont do you yourself much good to have if you plan to sell to others unless you have actual proof of some type its theirs and not forged. If they are at least willing to let you take pics as they sign said object,then I guess so maybe, but really its a rotten deal either way. To me the right thing to do,the respectful thing would be to be willing to take time aside to to do it for free for the fans that otherwise attend. Attendance by die hard fans is pretty much what pays their bills. Fans don't show, then the actual convention isn't going to be willing to pay "celebs" to show up. They are paid to be present and attract fans. The other aspect of it would be that what little fame these guys have left is simply due to the die hard fans. The casual person isn't even going to care to have their sig. So in that respect, its def a rotten way to repay the people that keep you on the map so to speak.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 04:46:45 PM »
Charging for an autograph is a dick move on the celebrities part.  Is that 20$ really that needed by the famous rich person? ... no not really.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Tatsujin

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 04:51:55 PM »
So what do you all think? Is the charges for a signature worth it?

NEVER!!! and doesn't matter how much celebrity he/she is!!! if they starting to take money from their poor fans just for signatures, they're not worth to be called celebrities anymore.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 04:55:17 PM »
I realize some of those those old Time Tunnel and Galactica b-casters need the money, but I never pay for an autograph on principle. If they are that hard up they can find some high margin item to sell.

Sadly, it is the practice and its not likely to change.

Most of my autographs and sketches are from black and white comics and manga/anime people who wouldn't even think of charging money. Of course, their income is still in-coming, where as "Riddler Henchman #3" hasn't seen a check in 30 years.

mobiusclimber

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 04:57:47 PM »
I think it might be a way of keeping people from profiting from the signature, and also you have to realize if they didn't charge money there would probably be a really long line and just signing autographs would take up the whole time. Of course, the "celebrity" in question should be donating that money to a worthy charity.

WoodyXP

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 05:04:32 PM »
Of course, the "celebrity" in question should be donating that money to a worthy charity.

Word life.. that's the only time I'll pay for an autograph.  If it's for a fund raiser I'm all for it.

guyjin

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 05:19:13 PM »
That's obnoxious. None of these people are hard up for money (unless they've developed a taste for blow); while it might be a requirement that the con imposed, It's a crummy thing for a con to do.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 06:41:36 PM »
I'd never pay for a signature, though I can understand why some celebrities do.  If it were me, I'd also want to limit the profiteers after seeing half of the shit I signed turn up on ebay shortly thereafter.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Tatsujin

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 06:54:24 PM »
ok, that's a good point you made there, nec.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

SignOfZeta

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 07:16:01 PM »
That's obnoxious. None of these people are hard up for money (unless they've developed a taste for blow); while it might be a requirement that the con imposed, It's a crummy thing for a con to do.

Yeah, that's not always true. Don't assume everyone signing autographs is William Shatner. Some of these people are 70 years old and live on nothing but a Social Security check and what they get at cons.

Like I said, I'd never pay for an autograph, but at the same time you need to understand that not everyone you've ever seen on TV is a multi-millionaire.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 07:49:19 PM »
I've gotten William Shatner's, Patrick Stewart's, Lou Ferrigno's (surprised to hear he is still alive) as well as other autographs for free.

Dark Fact

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 05:28:34 AM »
The whole argument with people paying for signatures only to not put them up for sale immediately afterwards on the street or online is pretty much a likely story to me.  Even if you did pay like $20 - $50 for an autograph, I still believe it won't stop the person from putting it up and making double the amount back.

No, for a celebrity to prevent something like this from happening, they should always do the traditional "make it out" procedure so that the autograph would be personalized to the person receiving it.  Not only does it make the autograph more sentimental to the person receiving the autograph, but if they were to put it up on eBay or some other auction site, it wouldn't be worth it to the buyer because their name isn't on it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 05:36:44 AM by Dark Fact »

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

rag-time4

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 07:48:36 AM »
I don't think charging for autographs at a convention is a big deal at all. Usually they get paid by the convention, and the convention makes money to help pay for the convention expenses.

Now if a celebrity charged $20 for an autograph in a more personal setting, that would be a bit wrong...

One of my absolute favorite celebrities, Bill Russell (first black head coach in the NBA), used to refuse to sign autographs when he was an active player / coach, but he was always willing to shake someone's hand and start a conversation. But now he's willing to sign for conventions to make a little money.

I think it's great, if people are willing to pay for it, then why not?

I choose to respect these people's time. If they're willing to spend their time to sign autographs, I have no problem with compensating them for that time. Although I agree the ones that don't need the money should donate it or put it to good use. But that goes for everyone. Does Angelina Jolie really need to be paid millions for every movie she does? Maybe they should just stop paying movie stars after a couple movies and just make 'em work for free...

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 10:19:38 AM »
if the dickmo's need money that bad why don't they just sit in their house , sign crap , and sell it on eBay?

In a few weeks theyd be loaded.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.