Author Topic: The issue with celebrity autographs  (Read 757 times)

Joe Redifer

Re: The issue with celebrity autographs
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 02:33:37 PM »
Who the hell buys autographs?  That's no fun.  It's much cooler to obtain them yourself.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 04:37:48 PM »
Who the hell buys autographs?  That's no fun.  It's much cooler to obtain them yourself.

Yeah, I always make them do it in a rather non-transferable way, like specifically addressed to me, or with a wacky sketch. When I met Shoji Kawamori I had him draw me a Super Deformed VT-1D (DYRL version), which is probably the last thing anyone would want from him. Its my favorite Macross mech though, so its perfect for me.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 05:04:00 PM »
if the dickmo's need money that bad why don't they just sit in their house , sign crap , and sell it on eBay?

In a few weeks theyd be loaded.

Some of them do.  As much as I love Working Designs, Vic Ireland does this himself.  He sells signed copies of Lunar on ebay for about $200 or so...
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

SignOfZeta

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 07:28:52 PM »
if the dickmo's need money that bad why don't they just sit in their house , sign crap , and sell it on eBay?

Some of them do.  As much as I love Working Designs, Vic Ireland does this himself.  He sells signed copies of Lunar on ebay for about $200 or so...

Wow. That's really f*cking pathetic.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 01:16:49 AM »
Yea Vic has been doing it for the longest now on ebay with alot of his left over Working Designs stock.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 02:58:55 AM »
Wow. That's really f*cking pathetic.

Indeed, though not nearly as pathetic as the sorry sacks that are buying 'em.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Sinistron

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 03:03:06 AM »
If it was a $20 blanket fee to collect all the autographs you want once inside- that would be more than reasonable.  $20 for a single autograph though from these cats- most of whom you mentioned are tired wash-outs or relatively obscure- definitely not worth it nor would their signatures be worth more than the photo print they'd sign on.  I definitely don't feel bad for these guys either- they've probably exploited their one moment in the sun over and over instead of going out to find more meaningful work.  

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
Quote from: Tatsujin
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 04:22:25 AM »

>_<

When the hell is he going to start up something else again.

right now, nonworking designs is no fun >_<
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

MissaFX

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 04:29:26 AM »
I am guessing it is two factors merging together in many cases: A lack of access to the person they like and desperation. 

In other cases I attribute it to collectors with too much money and not enough sense of what to do with it. 

And I am not even getting into the fact that tons of people make things with fake autographs to sell which makes a lot of the market questionable to begin with.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

SignOfZeta

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 04:50:20 AM »

>_<

When the hell is he going to start up something else again.

right now, nonworking designs is no fun >_<

While WD and Vic had their place long ago they are no longer needed or relevant.

Back in the 90s people like me really wanted more RPGs in English, and for some reason WD was the only company that would actually do it. Nowadays the scene has changed so much. The vast majority of any cool Japanese gamesoft will eventually come here anyway from a publisher that will actually deliver it on time, or at least the same year it was scheduled for.

The only thing missing from translated JRPGs now is the idiotic "humor" that I never need to see again.

Sometimes you need a windbag like Vic, but now its time to untie his little knot and watch him fly away.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 12:36:35 PM »
I wonder if he is working at Burger King now or something similar.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 01:18:31 PM »
I wonder if he is working at Burger King now or something similar.

If there is such a thing as karma, then he's working at Software Etc.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 02:29:11 PM »
Does that place even exist any more?

SignOfZeta

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 04:19:24 PM »
Does that place even exist any more?

There is some sort of game store that they all morphed into, I think. I can't remember the name as I usually buy imports. Last month I bought a PSP at a place that was an Electronics Boutique in 1991. I'm not sure what its called now though.

nectarsis

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2008, 04:25:09 PM »
Electronics Boutique (latter EB games), Babbages, Funcoland (I think thats all of em) are all now the monster conglomerate that is Gamestop.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>