Author Topic: Duo-R / RX owners represent!  (Read 3111 times)

Ace

Re: Duo-R / RX owners represent!
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2010, 04:56:28 PM »
Here's my PC Engine Duo-R with some extra goodies I got with it:

-Owned this PC Engine Duo-R for about one week
-Bought it off a local seller who put up an ad on Kijiji
-Sure beats the crap out of the HORRIBLY unreliable TurboGrafx CD.  With this, I can play Gradius II and other Shoot-em-Ups that require the Super System Card without having to worry about a gear shattering on me
-I did not mod the system, but I found it with an 8-pin DIN instead of a 5-pin DIN on the Multi-A/V out, which can only mean it was RGB-modded.  I don't know if the amplifier is there as I never opened my PC Engine Duo-R to check, but if I were to guess, I think there would be an amplifier for the RGB
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 06:53:56 AM by Ace »

turbogrfxfan

« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2010, 12:31:29 PM »
When you have the chance to get one - buy it  :D
Honestly that was the best thing I've ever bought - I didn't regret it one second. I play every system I have on the Astro City (even my PSP  8) )

whats an astro city?
"is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

Turbo D

« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2010, 12:39:35 PM »
It's one of those funky SEGA arcade machines.

http://www.zax.com.au/astrocity.html

CaptainBit

« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2010, 09:22:28 AM »
Got my Duo R two months ago, it's my first PCengine system and I love it so far.

So much so that I made an over dramatic completely unnecessary unboxing video of the package that contained it.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2010, 09:35:13 AM »
So much so that I made an over dramatic completely unnecessary unboxing
of the package that contained it.

Woohoo, bonus Arcade Card!  That was funny, but would've been more fitting.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

turbogrfxfan

« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2010, 07:23:44 AM »
Got my Duo R two months ago, it's my first PCengine system and I love it so far.

So much so that I made an over dramatic completely unnecessary unboxing video of the package that contained it.

lol thats frikkin great!!
"is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

ApolloBoy

« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2010, 05:10:18 PM »
Now that I've made aware of this thread by tatsujin, I thought I'd chime in here. Anyway, I just got a Duo-R a few days ago after selling my TG-CD setup (which now belongs to Dalder), and wow what a system! I've been playing it a lot since I got it and I think this will be the only PCE/TG-16 system I'll ever have next to my TurboExpress! I gave it a good cleaning too and it looks gorgeous. It's bone stock, but I plan on modding it for RGB as soon as I get one of those SCART to component converters. Here's a pic:
Quote from: Arkhan
it makes me laugh because people are like I REMEMBER PLAYIN THAT BACK IN THE DAY, MAN THAT WAS FUN.

and then I go "yeah I remember playing that 2 days ago because I still have my SNES, retard"

ceti alpha

« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2010, 05:13:30 PM »
...I think this will be the only PCE/TG-16 system I'll ever have next to my TurboExpress!

That's what they all say. :P You're not even slightly curious about the Supergrafx? heh

Seriously though, your DuoR looks great. I can't wait to pick one up myself. :)

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

ApolloBoy

« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2010, 05:31:32 PM »
That's what they all say. :P You're not even slightly curious about the Supergrafx? heh
1941 and Daimakaimura are neat, but I don't know if it'd be worth splurging that much just for the SGX and those two. :P
it makes me laugh because people are like I REMEMBER PLAYIN THAT BACK IN THE DAY, MAN THAT WAS FUN.

and then I go "yeah I remember playing that 2 days ago because I still have my SNES, retard"

Tatsujin

« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2010, 06:25:40 PM »
Nice Duo-R dude :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

ceti alpha

« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2010, 06:26:34 PM »
1941 and Daimakaimura are neat, but I don't know if it'd be worth splurging that much just for the SGX and those two. :P

haha. It's definitely a novelty item. Just give it time.  :P

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

ApolloBoy

« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2010, 08:08:22 PM »
Nice Duo-R dude :)
Thanks, I was amazed at how good it looked after I cleaned it up in the sink (making sure to completely disassemble it beforehand of course). The Duo-R seems to be one of those systems that looks even better in person than it does in pictures.

nat

« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2010, 06:57:38 PM »
The problem I have with the Duo-R/RX is that because they are made with that light colored plastic, many of them have yellowed. Those that haven't.... well, they will sooner or later. It's not really a case of "if," just a matter of time. There are all kinds of "tricks" to clean up yellowed systems, but it's a lot of work, and in most cases they just get yellow again even quicker.

I have a black US Duo and it's the best looking console I own. A black Duo with the caps replaced (as mine is) is virtually indestructible. Sure, the lasers will go eventually (as with ALL CD-ROM based systems, including the Duo-R), but that's a simple replacement. Plus I never, ever have to worry about yellowing.

For the technically un-savvy, a black Duo is probably more of a gamble than it's worth.... But for those with any kind of technical ability, I'd recommend a black US Duo with a cap replacement any day. And speaking of the black Duos: the JP version looks extremely goofy with those purple buttons. US all the way.

All that said, an un-yellowed Duo-R is a nice looking machine. Nice score Apollo.

Tatsujin

« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2010, 07:23:09 PM »
I agree with you on everything but this:
And speaking of the black Duos: the JP version looks extremely goofy with those purple buttons. US all the way.

I like the symbiosis of the purple and green elements, rather than the full blacky. Also on the JP one there is written PC Engine DUO which sounds and reads better than Turbo DUO. We do not talk about cars with a twin trubo engine, we talk about a PC Engine game machine.

Nevertheless, both are still looking uber great and are probably one of the best looking game machines ever created by our humanity and beyond of that.

www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

SignOfZeta

« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2010, 08:13:07 PM »
The problem I have with the Duo-R/RX is that because they are made with that light colored plastic, many of them have yellowed. Those that haven't.... well, they will sooner or later. It's not really a case of "if," just a matter of time. There are all kinds of "tricks" to clean up yellowed systems, but it's a lot of work, and in most cases they just get yellow again even quicker.

I have a black US Duo and it's the best looking console I own. A black Duo with the caps replaced (as mine is) is virtually indestructible. Sure, the lasers will go eventually (as with ALL CD-ROM based systems, including the Duo-R), but that's a simple replacement. Plus I never, ever have to worry about yellowing.

My Duo isn't even slightly yellow. I'm not sure why. When it does go yellow, I'll just RetroBrite it. I did it with my PCE/CDROM2 system and as much as a pain as it was, it was a lot easier than replacing all the caps.

It wouldn't matter to me anyway. The Duo R/RX has always been my preference. The briefcase is the only system I like more. Its merely good luck that the Duo R/RX also the best value. I'd own one even if it were an overpriced unreliable piece of shit, as the US Duo has become.