Author Topic: Duo-R / RX owners represent!  (Read 3115 times)

ceti alpha

Re: Duo-R / RX owners represent!
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2010, 03:24:05 PM »
I agree with nat - the US Duo all the way! The all black is super sexy.

I'm still trying to decide what to get as a secondary/back up system. I'm torn between the Supergrafx w/SuperCDROM2 or the DuoR/RX. I'll probably go with the SGX/SCD since I want a Supergrafx at some point anyway. I can't go without owning Ghouls 'n Ghosts on an NEC console.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nat

« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2010, 04:26:48 PM »
If you're set on getting a secondary system, there's no reason not to shoot for a SuperGrafx, if you ask me. My "second" system is a SuperGrafx coupled to an IFU-30/CD-ROM^2.

ceti alpha

« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2010, 09:02:35 AM »
If you're set on getting a secondary system, there's no reason not to shoot for a SuperGrafx, if you ask me. My "second" system is a SuperGrafx coupled to an IFU-30/CD-ROM^2.

haha. I like how you have "second" in quotes. I assume you put that in quotes because if/when I end up with that system it will immediately become my primary system.

nat

« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2010, 03:20:39 PM »
Oh, not necessarily. Only to infer that neither system is really "second" to the other. I love each, and each has its perks... The Duo looks f*cking slick, can play US carts, is super quiet, and faster seek times than the SuperGrafx+CD-ROM^2. The SuperGrafx has the wireless controller setup and can play SuperGrafx games, but no US carts. But that wireless controller is a big draw.... I know, I could technically use a wireless tap on the Duo as well but the wireless receiver sits on top of the SuperGrafx like it was designed for it.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the SuperGrafx has superior audio output, especially the PSG bass frequency range. I mean, there's a distinct audible difference between bass response on the SuperGrafx vs. Duo when comparing the same game.

At the end of the day though, the Duo gets more play than the SGX, primarily because region isn't an issue with it. I can't bring myself to physically modify the SuperGrafx....

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 03:24:30 PM by nat »

ceti alpha

« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2010, 06:05:16 PM »
That's really interesting that the SGX has better audio than the Duo. The wireless setup is also very awesome.

I don't blame you for not wanting to mod the SGX. It just doesn't seem right poking holes in her.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2010, 07:59:09 PM »
It seems like the shear hugeness of the SGX+IFU would also contribute to keeping it in the closest most of the time. It truly is absurdly large.

cornacchia

« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2010, 05:28:22 PM »
I am the proud owner of a PC Engine Duo-R.  I have it modded to play any region Hu cards and it has purple/blue leds.  It is AWESOME.  I was gonna post pics but my camera is dead.  I just wanted this to be my first post.

Tatsujin

« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2010, 05:47:30 PM »
A nice 1st post :)

Welcome to the forums and have fun with all the lunatics in here :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

bartre

« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2010, 07:46:55 PM »
And another first post in this thread!
I've had my duo-r since may, looking nice, but no mods(yet, need that region mod)
it's served me well playing a couple scattered hucards, but mostly CDs.
just finished Ys book 1 on it the other day, on to book 2!

cornacchia

« Reply #129 on: September 30, 2010, 02:11:03 PM »
Here are some pics of my Duo-R

The region switch

ceti alpha

« Reply #130 on: October 05, 2010, 10:39:18 AM »
Sexy. As is the blue LED.  8)

bartre

« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2010, 05:06:24 AM »
And another first post in this thread!
I've had my duo-r since may, looking nice, but no mods(yet, need that region mod)
it's served me well playing a couple scattered hucards, but mostly CDs.
just finished Ys book 1 on it the other day, on to book 2!
I just opened my Duo-R the other day, to evaluate if i could do the region switch myself, and to check the CD mechanism.
Interestingly, someone did an LED mod to it, i was unaware of the mod, i just thought that's how it was normally.
I really dislike LED mods when it comes to systems.
so, no more LED mod, back to the nice red access light

exodus

« Reply #132 on: October 09, 2010, 02:18:53 PM »
Mine's not modded or anything, but I have had it for about 8 years, and it became my primary system pretty quickly, since I rarely play U.S. hucards these days.

nothing too exciting about it other than the fact that I bought one in Japan in 2002, took it back to my hotel, and found that they'd given me the wrong adapter. I'd purchased a cheap-ish one, and it was yellowed and smelled of smoke - I took it back to the store and pointed out that the adapter was wrong. they checked it out, looked for a replacement, couldn't find one, called a manager, hemmed and hawed, and then decided I was right, and they gave me this shiny new white one instead. didn't smell of smoke at all! No extra charge, even though it should've cost 3,000 yen more.

Back when Japanese customer service was good, even for foreigners! Plus I was in Osaka, which helped...

WoodyXP

« Reply #133 on: October 10, 2010, 07:25:31 AM »
Mine's not modded or anything, but I have had it for about 8 years, and it became my primary system pretty quickly, since I rarely play U.S. hucards these days.

nothing too exciting about it other than the fact that I bought one in Japan in 2002, took it back to my hotel, and found that they'd given me the wrong adapter. I'd purchased a cheap-ish one, and it was yellowed and smelled of smoke - I took it back to the store and pointed out that the adapter was wrong. they checked it out, looked for a replacement, couldn't find one, called a manager, hemmed and hawed, and then decided I was right, and they gave me this shiny new white one instead. didn't smell of smoke at all! No extra charge, even though it should've cost 3,000 yen more.

Back when Japanese customer service was good, even for foreigners! Plus I was in Osaka, which helped...

That was awesome.

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #134 on: December 01, 2012, 06:21:14 AM »
Just became the very proud owner of my first Duo-R on 11-21-12 !! I purchased it from bartre here on the forums for $235.00 shipped .. It came complete with one controller and it also came region free modded .. I'm absolutely loving it !! I rubbed her down with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and she turned out really nice and clean !! Now I just need to bleach down my controller and I'll be all set .. Sorry about the crappy pic, bad lighting ..
                    Thank you bartre, you passed down this sexy bitch to a very happy man that will cherish her always !!!

http://imageshack.us/a/img593/5105/dscn1584k.jpg
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!