Author Topic: Duo-R / RX owners represent!  (Read 3164 times)

somery

Re: Duo-R / RX owners represent!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 02:19:54 PM »
somery, welcome to the club. First - do you live in the US? 2nd - what type of TV are you hooking up to? Don't worry so much what other people are using, focus on how you intend to hookup to a TV. Does your TV have S-video or Component input? If so I highly suggest hopping on the Jrok 4.1 group buy. That will allow you to take that amped RGB signal, and convert that nicely to a component video connection - basically the best connection that you can have on most TV's.

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=5741.0

Got an RGB capable monitor? All u need is to hook that sucker up! First need details on the TV/monitor u are going to use.

Thanks!  :) 

Yup, I live in the US. Second question is a bit harder. The TV I'm using right now has composite and s-video inputs. I'm planning on buying either a newer, better TV or an RGB-capable monitor in the next month or so. Are RGB-capable monitors something I can find in thrift stores? That's where I find a lot of my stuff. I'm talking older CRTs and such. That's not my only option, but it would be nice. Which would you suggest: new TV or (large) RGB monitor? What's the general price range for such things?

Sorry, maybe this is the wrong thread for these types of questions. Thank you, though!  :)

somery

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 02:37:28 PM »
Hmmm, okay. I've peeked around eBay a bit and I think I'm gonna go with getting a new TV with component inputs. This way, I think I can just buy the PSX-to-component cable from eBay for about 5 bucks and use that on the TV. Sound good?

Duo_R

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 03:47:46 PM »
Somery - although component and RGB are almost the same thing, they are a little different. The component TV u are going to buy cannot accept a pure RGB signal. I have another post u should read up on. That is why I suggested the Component 4.1 Jrok board. It will allow ur component TV to accept the RGB signal.

See this thread:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=3038.msg102114#msg102114
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

somery

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 10:35:56 AM »
Good information. Thanks!  :mrgreen:

GohanX

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 06:15:45 AM »
I've got a doujindance RGB Duo-R as well.  I've never used a Jrok board, but I use my Duo, PSX, Saturn, DC, SNES, X'Eye, and Master system all though an Atlona/CYM RGB to Component transcoder that you can pick up on ebay for about $60.  You have to perform an audio mod on it, but it's really simple. It works great.

Anwyay, here is my beautiful system.  I had an issue with the audio not working out of that PSX-scart adapter thing, so I added RCA jacks to the back of the system.

I also have my original unmodded Duo R system. I need to get around to selling it one of these days.

WoodyXP

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2008, 07:00:46 AM »
I have a couple unmodded R systems.  Here's the specs:

DUO-RX
------------
* Bought it back in '05, acquired while I was in Okinawa
* My primary PCE system, it kicks ass.
* Sorry for no pics, but it looks like a DUO-RX

DUO-R
------------
* Bought it in '07, in Aomori, Japan
* It's a kick ass system, currently in storage.
* I picked up this system because I saw the price tag on it.. $12, CIB.  I almost shit myself.
* Again, no pics.  But it looks like a DUO-R.
* Oh.. and the controller is BROWN.  The previous owner was a chain smoker, big time.  System itself
   is perfect.

That is all.  8)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 07:09:47 AM by WoodyXP »

Duo_R

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2008, 08:11:43 AM »
Link up to that ebay seller for the transcoder please? Any screenshots of how she looks on the TV? Must look really nice.

I've got a doujindance RGB Duo-R as well.  I've never used a Jrok board, but I use my Duo, PSX, Saturn, DC, SNES, X'Eye, and Master system all though an Atlona/CYM RGB to Component transcoder that you can pick up on ebay for about $60.  You have to perform an audio mod on it, but it's really simple. It works great.

Anwyay, here is my beautiful system.  I had an issue with the audio not working out of that PSX-scart adapter thing, so I added RCA jacks to the back of the system.

I also have my original unmodded Duo R system. I need to get around to selling it one of these days.

Add my YouTube channel:

GohanX

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2008, 09:46:14 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SCART-RGB-to-YUV-Component-Video-Converter-Adapter_W0QQitemZ370104714353QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370104714353&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A13%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

There's a link to a closed auction.The picture doesn't seem to be working for me though. I don't see any open ones right now, but that same seller usually has half a dozen up at any given time.  There are two types - one that says CYM (like in that auction) and one that says Atlona.  They are the same box, but the Atlonas come with a US/Japan 120 volt AC adapter, and the CYM comes with a 220 euro adapter.  It's easy enough to buy a generic universal adapter for the 220 ones though, I think it's 9 or 10 volts.

Here's the audio mod you have to do.  I am GohanX on those boards:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177830&highlight=transcoder

I took it a step further and put audio jacks on mine. It's a tad more difficult, but you don't have to worry about the cable coming loose.

I don't have a way of taking a decent screenshot. I've never been able to get a decent picture of the TV with my camera, but it looks great on a component CRT.  The colors on the PC Engine aren't quite as good as some of the other systems, I think mine is amplified just a tad too much, but it still looks great and I'm not going to mess with it.

I've compared my Wii with component hookups playing Virtual Console games with the original systems using the converter in component.  They look almost exactly the same, you have to really nitpick to find the differences. The exception, of course, is most TG16 games and the Wii's awful filter.

Duo_R

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2008, 10:20:29 AM »
JKM - thanks for the info. However, I do know the RGB box does carry audio signal, maybe nothing happens to it (or isn't passed through to the PSX connector) but I do know it goes into the box. You can easily reconnect if it doesn't go all the way through. I will test mine some more. But if you have one of these, no nead to install RCA's on your Duo-R, u can pass it through the box, or even wire it to the Red / White RCA's on the box.
Add my YouTube channel:

ogre

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2008, 02:02:21 AM »
I use the Atlona Rgb scart converter and it works great, but if you want to avoid doing the audio mod and still have audio out from all systems use this:http://cgi.ebay.com/Pass-through-Scart-to-RCA-adaptor-with-S-VHS_W0QQitemZ200270336082QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item200270336082&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318.This will passthrough all 21 pins and allow for audio out.

GohanX

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 07:36:34 AM »
JKM - thanks for the info. However, I do know the RGB box does carry audio signal, maybe nothing happens to it (or isn't passed through to the PSX connector) but I do know it goes into the box. You can easily reconnect if it doesn't go all the way through. I will test mine some more. But if you have one of these, no nead to install RCA's on your Duo-R, u can pass it through the box, or even wire it to the Red / White RCA's on the box.

Yeah, the little PSX box that came with mine was defective, and I couldn't seem to fix it.  That's the reason for the audio jacks on the Duo. It was cheaper for me to install audio jacks than have a custom RGB cable made.

ogre: thanks for that link, I never knew such a thing existed.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 07:38:31 AM by JKM »

jboypacman

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 12:41:31 PM »
I picked up my Duo-R at this year's Midwest Gaming Classic and i love it! Great system with tons of awesome games. :D

Duo_R

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2008, 08:57:34 AM »
JKM - I cannot find any pics of the CYM or the Atlona boxes. can you take a snap of your setup. If I buy the CYM box can I just give it 9-10 volts (how much amperage does it need)? I dont' see the Atlona boxes. Also, is there a retail store that just sells these? I am really intersted in.

Also, I have a concern using the UK model in the US. Is there a difference in the YUV signal? Similar to problems with NTSC and PAL?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SCART-RGB-to-YUV-Component-Video-Converter-Adapter_W0QQitemZ370104714353QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370104714353&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A13%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

There's a link to a closed auction.The picture doesn't seem to be working for me though. I don't see any open ones right now, but that same seller usually has half a dozen up at any given time.  There are two types - one that says CYM (like in that auction) and one that says Atlona.  They are the same box, but the Atlonas come with a US/Japan 120 volt AC adapter, and the CYM comes with a 220 euro adapter.  It's easy enough to buy a generic universal adapter for the 220 ones though, I think it's 9 or 10 volts.

Here's the audio mod you have to do.  I am GohanX on those boards:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177830&highlight=transcoder

I took it a step further and put audio jacks on mine. It's a tad more difficult, but you don't have to worry about the cable coming loose.

I don't have a way of taking a decent screenshot. I've never been able to get a decent picture of the TV with my camera, but it looks great on a component CRT.  The colors on the PC Engine aren't quite as good as some of the other systems, I think mine is amplified just a tad too much, but it still looks great and I'm not going to mess with it.

I've compared my Wii with component hookups playing Virtual Console games with the original systems using the converter in component.  They look almost exactly the same, you have to really nitpick to find the differences. The exception, of course, is most TG16 games and the Wii's awful filter.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 09:05:01 AM by Duo_R »
Add my YouTube channel:

Banana

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2008, 06:34:36 AM »
How much do these go for?

oldskool

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2008, 03:23:19 PM »
They are usually about $200 shipped, more or less.  Check out www.risingstuff.com I believe they have one available!  That's where I got mine.  I also periodically see them on Ebay for 190 ish plus shipping.