Author Topic: What is the most that YOU would pay for Dynastic Hero?  (Read 1233 times)

ceti alpha

Re: What is the most that YOU would pay for Dynastic Hero?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 07:38:32 AM »
i would dance around with $175... to me that would be a good deal and with the canadian dollar right now i still would be paying about $300 in US anyway :P

hehe Sparks. It was fun while it lasted, eh? At least I can say I took advantage of the high Loonie while I could. But I also picked the $175 range. I have a PCE copy, as well as a CDR nectarsis included in a game lot.  8) Unless I spot it somewhere for a really good deal, I'll probably have it on the Wii before I have teh real dealz.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Sparky

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 07:48:12 AM »
I'd pay whatever the JP version goes for. What is that, like $20? There is no way on God's green earth I'd pay $200 or whatever its supposedly worth. Screw that. I already have way better TG/PCE games than Dynastic Hero and none of them cost me even half what idiots are paying for this game.

oh dont be like that, to a collector getting that $20 game is laughable :P... when the real deal is with the $200 game that is out there... so this idiot cant wait to get it one day  :dance:
I know its crazy but its all how you look at it Zeta.

Turbo D

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 09:00:35 AM »
There is always the Genny version.  :-"

ceti alpha

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 09:15:54 AM »

SHAME ON YOU!!!  [-X [-X  :lol:

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

darcotrigger

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 01:24:06 PM »
Quote from: darcotrigger

After years of collecting Neo Geo AES games, I think I may have become desensitised to wasting my good money on a hard to find game. 

Well, what else are you going to spend your money on?  Videogames rule!  Now give me your AES collection.  I won't even charge you shipping!

Thats a pretty sweet offer! I'll keep it in mind :P

SignOfZeta

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 03:50:07 PM »
Quote from: Sparky

oh dont be like that, to a collector getting that $20 game is laughable :P... when the real deal is with the $200 game that is out there... so this idiot cant wait to get it one day  :dance:

I know. You wackos want it to cost more so you can go more broke buying it and be more real. If it cost $10,000 to collect the TV Sports series you'd be all over it.

What collectors don't seem to understand is that they are both "real". Its not like the Japanese version is a bootleg or anything, in fact since the game is of Japanese origin the PCE version, if anything, is more real than the US one. Weren't all HuCards made in Japan anyway? To me a US release of any NEC game item (the huge ugly black TG-16, the stupid cardboard boxes, or the horrific cover art) is just a bizarre fluke. The system barely even got a US release really, considering how much software is JP only.

What really amazes me is that when I first got my Duo (1992) my friends and I would always track down the JP versions if possible (or playable, given the language issue) given the superior cover art, lack of censorship, etc. This was quite difficult back then. Now that most PCE games can be had for $20 or less its simply stunning that people would pay eight times the price for a far shittier version of a game.

I mean, you could have a US copy of Magical Chase, *or* a JP copy of Magical Chase and Dracula X for the same money...seriously...probably a Bomberman '93 and a Star Parodia too, depending on the price climate.

mobiusclimber

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 04:14:01 PM »

SHAME ON YOU!!!  [-X [-X  :lol:

How now, the Genesis rocks! Don't buy into Johnny Turbo's lies. :D

Press_Run

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 06:02:06 PM »

I know. You wackos want it to cost more so you can go more broke buying it and be more real. If it cost $10,000 to collect the TV Sports series you'd be all over it.

What collectors don't seem to understand is that they are both "real". Its not like the Japanese version is a bootleg or anything, in fact since the game is of Japanese origin the PCE version, if anything, is more real than the US one. Weren't all HuCards made in Japan anyway? To me a US release of any NEC game item (the huge ugly black TG-16, the stupid cardboard boxes, or the horrific cover art) is just a bizarre fluke. The system barely even got a US release really, considering how much software is JP only.

What really amazes me is that when I first got my Duo (1992) my friends and I would always track down the JP versions if possible (or playable, given the language issue) given the superior cover art, lack of censorship, etc. This was quite difficult back then. Now that most PCE games can be had for $20 or less its simply stunning that people would pay eight times the price for a far shittier version of a game.

I mean, you could have a US copy of Magical Chase, *or* a JP copy of Magical Chase and Dracula X for the same money...seriously...probably a Bomberman '93 and a Star Parodia too, depending on the price climate.

It like the blind calling the 'blind'. Zeta, if the reverse was true, you'd be buying those PCE games no matter how much it costs. Your fascination with Japanese games would puzzle most people as well as the norm would be to stick with games spoken in their native language. When you think about it, the norm tends to go along side with an old saying "Out with the old, in with the New", and you're on a site praising a system that's nearly 20 years old. Face it you're a wacko like one of us, or else you wouldn't be here.  :dance:

Playing games is one thing, but collecting sets of them is a whole different league. Some collect for the thrill of the hunt, some do it just for the nostalgia, some for finding rare items, some do it for respect, some for the idea of having a complete, etc. My point is collecting goes beyond simply playing a game, it's about doing what we like and how we WANT to do it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 06:04:59 PM by Press_Run »

nectarsis

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 07:24:13 PM »

ANd some of have/had desires for a complete US collection.  Yea it may be a bit crazy, but hey doesn't hurt anyone, and if I have the $ to blow, oh well.  As for the US "barely getting a release" as sad as some of the methods that were used over here... 147 US release vs. 735 PCE not to terrible really for a very distant third place system in the US.  ANyone who's been on the site for awhile knows your "anti collector" stance, thats fine your opinion/perogative.  Yet to call those that are idiots is just condescending  crap.  I "collect" and play, it has little to do with "that games big $ it MUST be good"  :roll: but what I like or want.  I don't regret "collecting' or having as many games as I do because it will carry me thru what IMHO is the worst gaming generation since the original video game crash.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 07:56:47 PM by nectarsis »
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Sparky

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 11:44:42 PM »

Zeta i agree totally the PCE is a slicker system (wish it came in black) way better cover art and more fun games to be had … But i really dont care... my love is with the Tg16/Duo its what i wanted when i was a kiddie and i never got so i am living my gaming wet dream baby.:dance: and now i just want all the games for it so bring on Dynasty Hero... hells i may even spend $300 on it... my next big purchase is dedicated to you SignOfBitter :P (notice the smiley, just pulling the chain man)

And dont hate this collector to much, i was more a gamer not to long ago but my 3 year old is way more fun right now.
In the end i enjoy what i am doing :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 11:46:28 PM by Sparky »

Sinistron

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 01:26:58 AM »
In the end i enjoy what i am doing :)

Unlike some people.  If Zeke's life was more full of smiles than perhaps he wouldn't be all puffed out over how other people choose to live and spend their money.  Here's another way to look at this- would you call a man with a fine art collection that has appreciated in value an idiot?  Games like Dynastic Hero just get more and more valuable- and you can actually play it- not just hang it on a wall and stare at it.  I myself wouldn't pay over 100$ for it as I said (though who knows if a 120$ one was staring me in the eye- which won't happen) but a few years from now- if someone I know bought a Dynastic Hero for 200$ and it's suddenly worth 600$- if I thought this guy was an idiot- guess what I'd be?  The only idiot of the two.

The system barely even got a US release really, considering how much software is JP only.

-Exactly what makes the US Turbo so collectible.  Fewer pieces to track down. 

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 03:43:11 AM »
You wackos want it to cost more so you can go more broke buying it and be more real.

Riiiiggghhht.  $250 will make me broke.  If that were true, I wouldn't be buying any games.

You have your irrational hatred of the TG-16 design, boxes, and cover art (none of which affect game play); maybe U.S. collectors have similar hatred for mismatched peripherals, unreadable chicken scratches, and useless spine cards and registration cards.  Either way, who gives a shit?  Like you said, both versions are 'real' and play substantially the same, so why do you care if some people prefer one over the other and are willing to pay extra? 

What amazes me is that you ever had friends.  :P

Why would it amaze you that you tracked down PCE versions back in the day?  It wasn't exactly an uncommon practice, but it's funny that you condemn people now for paying extra for the US versions when you were once willing to pay more to get the Japanese version.  Neither cover art or censorship substantially change game play or the game's overall aesthetics, so at least I'm paying extra for something that does affect game play (readable text).

Or here's a thought - I'll buy the U.S. copy of Magical Chase and Dracula X and Bomberman '93 (U.S. version, of course) and Star Parodia and whatever else tickles my fancy.  How unfortunate for you that this 'idiot' (among others) has a job and plenty of patience.

P.S. - If the Turbo is a fluke, it's in good company with the AES and the 3DO. 8)
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Sinistron

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 06:24:42 AM »
Or here's a thought - I'll buy the U.S. copy of Magical Chase and Dracula X and Bomberman '93 (U.S. version, of course) and Star Parodia and whatever else tickles my fancy. 

Well said Necro.  Zeke can go jump off a pier and take his lame face radio with him.

atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

MotherGunner

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2008, 09:01:22 AM »
I'd pay whatever the JP version goes for. What is that, like $20? There is no way on God's green earth I'd pay $200 or whatever its supposedly worth. Screw that. I already have way better TG/PCE games than Dynastic Hero and none of them cost me even half what idiots are paying for this game.

AMEN!!!!

Edit: to be clear the amen was for the "JP version goes for.." part. NOT the rest.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 06:05:25 PM by MotherGunner »
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

mobiusclimber

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2008, 09:20:27 AM »
Seriously, guys, there's nothing noble about spending a shit-ton of money on one game. You're just pissed because someone pointed it out. Not everybody has a "collector" mentality, and to be perfectly frank, that mentality ISN'T healthy. It's your money, and you're free to do with it as you please. The KLF burned a million pounds, you guys throw a several hundred away on one game. You're free to do it, but don't delude yourself into thinking it isn't wasteful, even forgetting all the actually noble things you could be doing with that money. This will never make sense to anyone who doesn't share your "unhealthy" obsession. There's no amount of whining about free will, collectability, or "I wanna play it"-ness that is going to convince someone else that's it's a good idea to spend $200-500 on a piece of plastic, particularly when it's only true value is for collection purposes. It's hard to fathom how someone would spend $200 on Panzer Dragoon Saga, but at least in that case it's a game that you can't get anywhere else by any other means.

I'd be willing to bet there are collector attitudes that piss you guys off as well. The person that has to have all sealed games or the guy that buys up ten copies of that incredibly rare title just to stick it on the shelf. The deeper you get into collecting, the stranger the behavior looks from the outside. Justify it to yourself, but it isn't ever going to make sense to anyone else. That's because it really DOESN'T make sense, and if you could step back and take a look at it objectively, you'd see that. What difference does it make whether it appreciates in value or not. You're not buying it to some day resell it at a higher value. And if you never buy it, it's not any great loss, so who cares what price it's at in some hypothetical future? The only person who cares about these things is the person who's goal it is to resell.

Please realize, I'm not actually knocking any of you guys for wanting this game, or for shelling out the cash for it. I just think that your rationalization is a bunch of b.s. It sounds more like you're trying to convince yourselves than anyone else. You're the alcoholic claiming you don't have a problem, trying to explain to sober judges why there's nothing wrong with your drinking. It really doesn't matter in the end, tho. We all have our addictions and our vices. Just don't think you'll convince anyone that it isn't a vice.