Author Topic: Is there such a thing as too much Turbo goodness?  (Read 654 times)

Press_Run

Is there such a thing as too much Turbo goodness?
« on: November 24, 2008, 02:38:55 PM »
Recently, I shorten my gaming spending habit to Turbo games as a way to manage my spending, or that's what I thought. The holiday rush has popped up tons of good Turbo good opportunities on Ebay, so much so, that I feel like my head is going to EXPLODE!  :shock:

I've already spent over my personal budget already and yet the opportunities keep coming, Super Air Zonk, Bonk 3, Dynastic Hero, Neutopia 2, etc. Have any of you felt Turbo "overloaded"?

Turbo D

Re: Is there such a thing as too much Turbo goodness?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 03:27:53 PM »
I too feel like my head is going to explode! There are so many awesome deals to be had on both online auction sites as well as forums. Did I mention I don't have any cash to spend? What makes it worse is that I still need to buy gifts for people this holiday, not because I have to but because I want to. haha. I guess I'll just have to be tied over with my 169 turbo/pce games.  :mrgreen:

zektor

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 04:22:03 PM »
Yep, I have felt the same way many times. But, don't let the hobby get the best of you. If you go in hot and heavy and buy everything you will find that you are broke rather quickly, and even worse may even feel compelled to sell off your new goodies to pay your bills! :)

I recently completed (today!) the TG16 USA set. Loose hucards only however. This is how I limited myself and made an attempt to spend less. Even still, some of these loose games *still* ran me some coin. But I didn't grab them all in one shot. This collection has been going on for AWHILE.

I guess what I am trying to say is that there will always be a deal to grab. Just when you think "I gotta have it..I'll never get this chance again", you end up getting the chance over and over. Just go easy with it. Buy and enjoy a good game and then move forward to the next :)

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 04:44:26 PM »
Surprisingly this time around any TG/PCE buying will be for my son only prob for xmas. I already nabbed him boxed complete Blazing Lasers and Ninja Spirit Tg games. I will prob nab him a few more. Buying for myself as of late has amounted to GI Joe figures, Laserdisc, and a couple of Neo games and a 2-Slot. Guess Im just not feeling the Nec bug this time of year, then again, I have almost all the stuff I want on it, except a few titles here and there...

gekioh

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 05:11:16 PM »
I totally LOVE just how Zektor put it. Couldnt have said it any better my self! I know that for me, last year I went through such a "man just gotta have it phase" and almost certainly every time sold something off just as equally valuable if not what i bought within the following month. And all just to pay a bill or have money for groceries, etc. Last year I had bought and sold such goodies like Super Air Zonk,Bonk 3 CD, Syd Mead's, M&M III, on DUO, and other such goodies like a mint copy of Battle Mania II, Radiant Silvergun, Shinrei Jusatsushi Taramarou, countless rare Transformers. And sad to say I no longer have any of this stuff cause I bought it all in to short a time span. Theres a lot more too just cant think of it all. I have really learned now to take it easy now(I hope anyways),. But yeah its true, IMO there will always be someone out there selling what you want, just gotta find out who and where rather it be online auctions or forums! Pays to be vigilent and patient. Too much all at once will most certainly result in having to sell what has just been bought, at least in my experience!

Press_Run

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 05:59:15 PM »
Yep, I have felt the same way many times. But, don't let the hobby get the best of you. If you go in hot and heavy and buy everything you will find that you are broke rather quickly, and even worse may even feel compelled to sell off your new goodies to pay your bills! :)

I recently completed (today!) the TG16 USA set. Loose hucards only however. This is how I limited myself and made an attempt to spend less. Even still, some of these loose games *still* ran me some coin. But I didn't grab them all in one shot. This collection has been going on for AWHILE.

I guess what I am trying to say is that there will always be a deal to grab. Just when you think "I gotta have it..I'll never get this chance again", you end up getting the chance over and over. Just go easy with it. Buy and enjoy a good game and then move forward to the next :)

The one thing worrying is missing out on a great deal and having to pay for it later. Especially when you have resellers cropping all the good picks for themselves and charging triple for it. But this may be a blessing in disguise as the sudden surge of rare games may allow great deals to present themselves. Anyway after this last "spree", I'm going to take it easy and shift my focus onto video reviews. (Got to prepare with reviews for Y's 1, 2, 3, and 6.)

Btw zektor, congrats on finishing the HuCards collection. It give me a little hope that nothing is impossible to achieve. Last I checked my complete Hucard collection is at 51, so I'm than halfway in that department. I'm surprised you didn't start at thread boasting this monumental occasion. Anyway, more power to you my friend and good luck in completing the CD collection, cause you're going to need it.  :wink:

mobiusclimber

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 06:24:18 PM »
 I'm having this problem myself, but with PCE CD games. But its probably worse for me since I'm just starting my collection. I think I'm getting to the point now tho where I need to stop buying and just PLAY THE DAMN GAMES ALREADY. And maybe that's just how you have to approach it. If you keep looking for deals, you're going to find them. So instead of looking every day, play the game you just got for awhile until you're tired of playing it, then look for more stuff.

zektor

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 07:02:17 PM »

The one thing worrying is missing out on a great deal and having to pay for it later. Especially when you have resellers cropping all the good picks for themselves and charging triple for it. But this may be a blessing in disguise as the sudden surge of rare games may allow great deals to present themselves. Anyway after this last "spree", I'm going to take it easy and shift my focus onto video reviews. (Got to prepare with reviews for Y's 1, 2, 3, and 6.)

Btw zektor, congrats on finishing the HuCards collection. It give me a little hope that nothing is impossible to achieve. Last I checked my complete Hucard collection is at 51, so I'm than halfway in that department. I'm surprised you didn't start at thread boasting this monumental occasion. Anyway, more power to you my friend and good luck in completing the CD collection, cause you're going to need it.  :wink:

There is always the worry of missing out on the "great deal". Trust me. Been there, done that...times twelve. The deals WILL come around again. We are at fault when it comes to those resellers in most cases. We are feeding them. They buy the good deals up, and we pay them a premium. If we would just STOP doing this the prices will go down. These people do not care about the games like we do. They care about money, plain and simple. And, when they have to pay that re-listing fee over and over and it gets to a point in which they have already lost without a sale..well...they will simply give it away more or less. These are great games no doubt. But they are also vintage games and without US the demand is really not there.

Again, the deals will always be there. You can stop collecting right now and re-visit a year from now and still find great deals. I have been down this road before. I collected the TG16 six years ago and almost completed....then I sold it off to pay bills. I started again under a year ago and I completed it. The ONLY game that I could not snag in all of that time was Magical Chase. This may be one of your only hurdles..at least when it comes to USA hucard collecting.

Sinistron

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 09:57:42 PM »
I've had a turbo/pce overload last year- so much that I don't feel that I have to buy games for at least a few months- as I have many unplayed games sitting here waiting for me.  It's a good thing- just make sure that necessary areas of your life don't suffer from your turbo spending- wouldn't be good to eat ritz crackers for dinner, have your girlfriend get up and leave you, or hand in rent payments late due to overspending on turbo.

All that said- the best is if you have people buying you gifts for Christmas- to put turbo/pce games on your wish list.  I received Dungeon Explorer II, Sapphire (official bootleg or whatever you call it), Drac X and others as gifts and they're gifts that keep on giving- and they're games that increase in value (not that I plan on selling them ever- I don't).

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
Quote from: Tatsujin
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

guyjin

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »
hooray for recessions?  #-o
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 02:46:09 AM »
There's no such thing as too much Turbo goodness for me.  I'm taking my sweet time building a collection (16 years and I'm not much more than halfway there), as I'd rather buy a few games, play the heck out of 'em, and then get something 'new'.  People having to sell their collections to pay the bills is kinda sad (though good for me, I guess), and I'm glad that I can't foresee a future where selling my collection to raise a few hundred bucks would ever be necessary.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ceti alpha

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 07:47:09 AM »
There's no such thing as too much Turbo goodness for me.  I'm taking my sweet time building a collection (16 years and I'm not much more than halfway there), as I'd rather buy a few games, play the heck out of 'em, and then get something 'new'.  People having to sell their collections to pay the bills is kinda sad (though good for me, I guess), and I'm glad that I can't foresee a future where selling my collection to raise a few hundred bucks would ever be necessary.

Yeah, it's going to be a long haul for me as well. I've been steadily collecting for just over a year now and I only have 45 games - most of them are complete (Jap/US). I figure this will be my average yearly number, give or take. I might look into buying bigger lots of games as well to cut down on shipping costs. Right now, even with my small collection, I still have games I've barely touched and I've only cleared 10 of these games. It's always tempting to buy a shitload of Turbo, but I actually look forward to collecting Turbo/PCE for years and years.  :mrgreen:

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 08:31:01 AM »
Right now, even with my small collection, I still have games I've barely touched and I've only cleared 10 of these games.

You have a good excuse though; it's pert near impossible to play games when your Duo is being held by fun hating customs agents.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ceti alpha

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 08:42:01 AM »
Right now, even with my small collection, I still have games I've barely touched and I've only cleared 10 of these games.

You have a good excuse though; it's pert near impossible to play games when your Duo is being held by fun hating customs agents.

haha. Yeah, Canada Customs definitely have me flagged. NO FUN FOR CETI!! lol

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

darcotrigger

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 01:36:54 PM »
 Wow. Reading this thread made me calculate my Turbo spending. Almost $450 of my worthless Canadian dollars were spent on the hobby this last month. Oh well, I have a ton of really cool games to get me through the holiday season now, and then I can start back up with my OCD game collecting in the new year.