Author Topic: Censoring / Sanitizing North American Games  (Read 3592 times)

Black Tiger

Censoring / Sanitizing North American Games
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2005, 01:10:30 PM »
Quote from: "stevek666"

What's funny is that FZII, as a game, sucks. But there is so much to still appreciate about it (I love the music, and some of the scenes are pretty kool -- like the confrontation with Ruman at the end).

Of course, the Bowie-Momoko Face Slap cannot be topped. :)

The best example I can think of is Golden Axe PCE. I love it, it was the first CD game I ever saw and was one of the first 3 bought. Regardless of how bad the ingame aesthetics and challenge may be, finishing it and watching the ending cinemas is more rewarding than most games.

That's the appeal of so many Turbo games, as well as a lot of PCE titles.

We may not have received the best games from Japan, but most Turbo games always had some kind of cool factor to make up for imperfections.

Final Lap Twin wasn't the best arcade style racer, but it's one of favorites. Motoroader & Bomberman look like homebrew games, but anyone who's actually given them a chance knows how addictive they are.

Valis II and Red Alert wouldn't be the same if you stripped them of cinemas and CD music.

But its not like it is nowadays, with games being all about looks and becoming barely interactive movies. The Final Fantasy series(excluding XI) isn't even RPG anymore. Snatcher is more interactive than FFX.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

GUTS

« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2005, 02:28:03 PM »
Final Fantasy X ruled man, awesome game!  It always irks me when people call FF games "interactive movies" when they have quite a bit of depth if you bother to actually play them.  Somebody made an actual DVD of all the movies and cinematics in FFX and it was about 3-4 hours long, that's out of a 40+ hour game, so that's only 10% of the time you're watching something intstead of playing it.

Snatcher was a great game too, I don't see where the level of interactivety and amount of cinematics has any relation to how fun a game is.  Hell, simple point & click games like Monkey Island are some of the best games I've ever played.

Keranu

« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2005, 02:34:29 PM »
A Keelan quick post:

Final Zone II - Doesn't suck, rules. The Bowie slap is a classic and I loved ever second of it!

Honeymooners - AWESOME!

Cheers - One of my favorite sitcoms, at least the first half Shelly Long instead of the other bitch Kirstie Alley.

Point and click adventures - Totally rule, but the traditional graphic and text adventures (such as King's Quest) are even better.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #108 on: September 09, 2005, 02:40:36 PM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
Final Fantasy X ruled man, awesome game!  It always irks me when people call FF games "interactive movies" when they have quite a bit of depth if you bother to actually play them.  Somebody made an actual DVD of all the movies and cinematics in FFX and it was about 3-4 hours long, that's out of a 40+ hour game, so that's only 10% of the time you're watching something intstead of playing it.

Snatcher was a great game too, I don't see where the level of interactivety and amount of cinematics has any relation to how fun a game is.  Hell, simple point & click games like Monkey Island are some of the best games I've ever played.

I also loved cinematic games(like Snatcher).

My point was that emphasis has been put more so on aesthetics over gameplay as years go by.

Final Fantasy is the best example, because if you remove the cinemas from the few games that have any, you can see than overall depth of gameplay has been going down a slippery slope from FFVII onward(although IX seemed better than XIII), where as leading up to FFVI, it was just the opposite.

And this is what has setup gaming in a very dangerous predicament leading up to the next generation. Casual gamers now rule, they're the market. And they judge games by budget just like movies. And now only big time developers are going to be able to afford to develop games that take advantage of the 3D power of new consoles.

What this should mean, is that we finally get awesome 2D games again, but somehow I don't think thats going to be the case.

I just hope that publishers start to look at ways of making money in general, not just risky smash hits. Because just as Nintendo can afford to make its own games for its own system, any publisher can make good money putting out a good 2D game, like recent Castlevanias, because it'll cost way less of a fraction to develop than it will proportionately earn in sales.

Keranu

« Reply #109 on: September 09, 2005, 02:44:52 PM »
I totally agree with your Final Fantasy post about the gameplay getting worse. Not only that, but the stories and characters have just gotten so f*cking retarded that I'm not sure if I could keep tolerating them because they just sort of get gayer as each one comes out. Even though that isn't a very fair judgement, but I mean damn , characters like Tidus? I thought Squall and the rest of the retards in FFVIII were worse enough.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #110 on: September 09, 2005, 02:55:29 PM »
Haha well we're on opposite sides there, I thought X had an awesome story and great characters.  Plus there was just so much to do, I spend a good 15 hours at the end of the game just playing around finding stuff and exploring, it was equal to or more fun that I'd had with any other RPG out there.

My idea of games going down the tubes is shit like Dead to Rights (the incredibly cliched 3rd person shitfest shooter trying to be "HARD"), Tom Clancy games (repackaging the exact same f*cking game and releasing it 2-3 times a year) and pretty much anything made by EA (complete lack of polish and qaulity control, basically Acclaim but with sports games that actually sell).

neokellyzero

« Reply #111 on: September 09, 2005, 03:00:53 PM »

I just hope that publishers start to look at ways of making money in general, not just risky smash hits. Because just as Nintendo can afford to make its own games for its own system, any publisher can make good money putting out a good 2D game, like recent Castlevanias, because it'll cost way less of a fraction to develop than it will proportionately earn in sales.

I think this may be the case in the near future-  If you look at fashion and music it seems that many of the popular styles and themes tend to be recycled about every 20 years-  The same may be true to some extent in the gaming industry.  Think about it-  2-d gaming was really at it's height in '86-'94.  In theory nostalgia should start setting in on a larger scale within the next five years, and we should see a pop in the demand and manufacture of quality 2-d gaming-

Black Tiger

« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2005, 03:10:16 PM »
Quote from: "neokellyzero"

I think this may be the case in the near future-  If you look at fashion and music it seems that many of the popular styles and themes tend to be recycled about every 20 years-  The same may be true to some extent in the gaming industry.  Think about it-  2-d gaming was really at it's height in '86-'94.  In theory nostalgia should start setting in on a larger scale within the next five years, and we should see a pop in the demand and manufacture of quality 2-d gaming-

I hope that we get industries within the industry, like with death metal. Death metal fans are loyal, I download free mp3's to try out albums and if I like them I buy the CD, and the scene thrives on its own.

There's a huge market not only for 2D and just plain good games, but also retro games. If someone put out a new spec defying PCE CD games, which would cost like nothing for a real developer and it got actual promotion and magazine coverage, it would sell more than well enough to make a good enough profit.

But lets take it even further. Do you think that anyone would buy a brand new reprint of Dracula X, possible with bonus materials, for $30? It wouldn't cost Konami a dime to develop and they'd make a killing even if they sold it for $5 a pop.

But its a slap in the face that most companies refuse to even put old content on new platforms and when they do, charge a lot for a little.

Thats why the Capcom Classic Collection is so cool.

TR0N

« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2005, 07:58:53 PM »
Quote from: "Black_Tiger"

But lets take it even further. Do you think that anyone would buy a brand new reprint of Dracula X, possible with bonus materials, for $30? It wouldn't cost Konami a dime to develop and they'd make a killing even if they sold it for $5 a pop.

But its a slap in the face that most companies refuse to even put old content on new platforms and when they do, charge a lot for a little.

Nuff said Midway,Atari,Namco and Capcom don't have problems with putting out collections.

You think, Konami would jump on the band wagon by now.

Still they refuse and don't want... to listen to fans for some reason :evil:

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Black Tiger

« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2005, 07:10:50 AM »
Quote from: "Tron"

Nuff said Midway,Atari,Namco and Capcom don't have problems with putting out collections.

You think, Konami would jump on the band wagon by now.

Still they refuse and don't want... to listen to fans for some reason :evil:

Thats the thing, they have put out collections of like 30 mostly boring games for psx & saturn in japan. If they charged like $10 for these things it'd be fine.

The closest they've come to to Capcom's generations is stuff like Salamander Deluxe pack for Saturn and Castlevania Chronicles for PSX.

But they didn't include the Gradius' in one nor the Nintendo 8 & 16-bit Castlevanias in the other. I mean, we're talking like 1 meg of disc space for a product that they aren't selling elsewhere commercially(and as such is legal to emulate in the U.S.).

If they want to sell old games as singles, then it would be nice to get them in their original format. Famiclones wouldn't be made if there wasn't a huge demand for them.

Imagine if some licensed out the PCE Duo and got it down to like half the size of a Sega CDX and sold it for $100. As much as collectors push up prices on Duo systems, there's enough of us who actually play the games to sell out new hardware.

A company was supposed to release an NES style Famiclone in the U.S. this month that plays both NES & Famicom game. I wonder if Nintendo managed to stop it before any got out.

http://www.playmessiah.com/index2.htm

They've got some cool accessroies for NES & SNES.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2005, 07:32:02 AM »
Nintendo didn't intervene, in fact from what I heard Nintendo actually gave Messiah the green light. Besides, the NES patent's 15 years is up, or for that matter "BEEN up". That Generation NEX is a pretty slick and maybe more durable than those fragile Famiclones from Hong Kong.

My biggest concern is that if the system will play the music in Akumajo Densetsu correctly.

And they might be at Gamestops, because on their site, they were on preorder.

Alot of people are already lamenting the price of the system too being 60. But that's because in the GNEX, it also has some new school quirks added to it, wireless controllers and rumble feature.

Black Tiger

« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2005, 11:19:39 AM »
Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"
Nintendo didn't intervene, in fact from what I heard Nintendo actually gave Messiah the green light. Besides, the NES patent's 15 years is up, or for that matter "BEEN up". That Generation NEX is a pretty slick and maybe more durable than those fragile Famiclones from Hong Kong.

My biggest concern is that if the system will play the music in Akumajo Densetsu correctly.

And they might be at Gamestops, because on their site, they were on preorder.

Alot of people are already lamenting the price of the system too being 60. But that's because in the GNEX, it also has some new school quirks added to it, wireless controllers and rumble feature.

I first read about it in Retro magazine where they made a couple of comments about Nintendo trying to stop it.

If 15 years(why is music 50?) is all that you get for a patent in the U.S., then why isn't someone whipping up some hi-tech Turboduos already?

I'd gladly pay $60 U.S, for a NEX. I'd also pay as much for a Turbo Dux as the real deal if it'd be more reliable and wireless(but this is one system that should get the S-Video upgrade).

GUTS

« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2005, 01:33:55 PM »
^^ Probably because the games are so hard to find, where NES games are dirt cheap and everywhere.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2005, 08:16:37 PM »
Well if that's the case, Gamestop needs to get back into selling NES games all over again.

nodtveidt

« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2005, 03:54:56 AM »
(why is music 50?)

Because music is copyrighted and hardware like this is patented...two different legal protection systems.