Author Topic: Censoring / Sanitizing North American Games  (Read 3593 times)

esteban

Censoring / Sanitizing North American Games
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2005, 12:43:47 PM »
I want to support these fabulous folks:

http://www.amigaforever.com/

because they do things right (it's totally legal), plus they pack a whole bunch of historical documentation with it.  Kick ass awesome docs, videos, etc. ($60 for everything, $30 for just emulator).  It's the way I feel about MagicEngine as well... I could have used my brother's key, but I wanted to support ME so I got my own.  On PC, I've tried AMIGA emulators... I've had the best experiences with amiga forever (they really try to get all the nuances... like the sound of the floppy drive!).

PLUS, they have a cross-platform package with Windows / Mac OS X.  My new laptop is a mac, so...
  |    | 

GUTS

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2005, 03:08:49 PM »
Ah that would be cool if it came boxed like real software with actual docs and stuff.  I wouldn't mind paying for Magic Engine if they ever incorporate some filters, Turbo games look like Legos on my monitor.

nodtveidt

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2005, 05:08:57 PM »
Umm...magic engine HAS filters...two to be exact...

GUTS

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2005, 08:27:31 AM »
Well I haven't tried magic engine in a couple years, there weren't any the last time I downloaded the demo.

nodtveidt

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2005, 12:34:15 PM »
Two filters were added in ME 1.0. Time to upgrade. :D The hires filter is completely badass. :D

nodtveidt

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2005, 12:15:28 PM »
Back on topic: here's another good "sanitized" game...The Legendary Axe II. This was actually the only change in the game that I know about, aside from the title screen.

US version:

Japan version:

esteban

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2005, 04:53:32 PM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
Back on topic: here's another good "sanitized" game...The Legendary Axe II. This was actually the only change in the game that I know about, aside from the title screen.

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!  Guess, what, I think this might be the first game to lead off my article.  THE SCREENSHOTS ARE GORGEOUS (they are the reason, in fact, I want to use them to lead the article :)).

Please keep up the good work!  Come on folks, I know you have noticed things like this, I need your help ;)
  |    | 

nodtveidt

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2005, 05:18:50 PM »
Hehe cool...I actually played through both versions tonight just to capture those screenshots. :D

esteban

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2005, 06:25:20 AM »
Hehe cool...I actually played through both versions tonight just to capture those screenshots. :D
I figured as much!  Which reminds me:  LA II is on my TOP 10 of best HuCard soundtracks of all time.

I love the compositions, the PSG "instruments", the mood each song evokes (plus, each song totally matches the atmosphere / mood of the level it was intended for)....

What do you think?  I won't be offended if you think LA II ain't so spectacular :)
  |    | 

nodtveidt

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2005, 12:38:47 PM »
Actually, I agree...LA II definately has one of the best soundtracks on hucard. The only track I wasn't too partial to was the one for level 6 (sounded rather generic in places but it was good overall). The music for the final level was just plain awesome and the boss track was cool too. :) Honestly, I can't think of many games off the top of my head with a better soundtrack on hucard than LA II, except maybe Neutopia II or Violent Soldier/Sinistron.

esteban

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2005, 01:48:01 PM »
Actually, I agree...LA II definately has one of the best soundtracks on hucard. The only track I wasn't too partial to was the one for level 6 (sounded rather generic in places but it was good overall). The music for the final level was just plain awesome and the boss track was cool too. :) Honestly, I can't think of many games off the top of my head with a better soundtrack on hucard than LA II, except maybe Neutopia II or Violent Soldier/Sinistron.
it's nice to know i'm not the crazy one!  you see, I've also told folks that I dug the 2 simple songs on Blodia / Timeball.  I do like those songs, not top 10 of course, but they're definitely underappreciated tracks.  Well, my credibility was shattered for saying anything remotely positive about Timeball (which isn't so bad a game -- another instance of my credibility crumbling).

Back on topic: Blodia was not censored / sanitized in any way when it was released in North America under the title "Timeball".
  |    | 

zborgerd

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2005, 09:20:57 AM »
Quote from: "stevek666"
it's nice to know i'm not the crazy one!  you see, I've also told folks that I dug the 2 simple songs on Blodia / Timeball.  I do like those songs, not top 10 of course, but they're definitely underappreciated tracks.  Well, my credibility was shattered for saying anything remotely positive about Timeball (which isn't so bad a game -- another instance of my credibility crumbling).

Back on topic: Blodia was not censored / sanitized in any way when it was released in North America under the title "Timeball".

I actually really like Blodia/Timeball.  I think it's a very unique puzzle game, and is great to play on the Express everyone once in a while.  I particularly like the second song when I play.  :)

esteban

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2005, 02:17:57 PM »
Quote from: "zborgerd"
I actually really like Blodia/Timeball.  I think it's a very unique puzzle game, and is great to play on the Express everyone once in a while.  I particularly like the second song when I play.  :)

yes!  so do I. There was another TG-16 board where the folks, as an ongoing joke, would make fun of Timeball / Blodia.  It was funny because I never could say that I actually liked the game.  And since there weren't many puzzle games for TE, I spent a lot of time playing Timeball, Chew Man Fu, and Cratermaze. Oh, and boxyboy.

FYI: There was a pirated HuCard (a multi-card, if you will) that had 4 pc-engine puzzlers on it... including Blodia (boxy boy, drop rock, and can't remember the last one)!  That would have been great for portable puzzling on the go!
  |    | 

GUTS

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2005, 02:29:55 PM »
Blodia is one of the worst games ever made!  Of course coming from the man who enjoys China Warrior, it doesn't surprise me that you like it, haha.  My guilty pleasure is Ordyne, that game sucks but I love it.

zborgerd

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2005, 03:50:31 PM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
Blodia is one of the worst games ever made!  Of course coming from the man who enjoys China Warrior, it doesn't surprise me that you like it, haha.  My guilty pleasure is Ordyne, that game sucks but I love it.

Nothing wrong with Ordyne.  I've only been able to play it a few times though before getting bored and tired of its cuteness.  :)

Want a bad game, play Drop-Off.  WORST puzzle game ever.  Blodia looks like a work of art when it comes to Drop-Off.