Author Topic: Censoring / Sanitizing North American Games  (Read 3597 times)

esteban

Censoring / Sanitizing North American Games
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2005, 04:09:55 PM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
Blodia is one of the worst games ever made!  Of course coming from the man who enjoys China Warrior, it doesn't surprise me that you like it, haha.  My guilty pleasure is Ordyne, that game sucks but I love it.
:) Yeah, if I had any credibility, I lost it by admitting to liking China Warrior and Timeball :).  I really haven't played much Ordyne, but I'll dig it out and see how I feel.
  |    | 

GUTS

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2005, 07:35:44 PM »
Actually you'll probably dig it too, if for nothing else than it's incredibly bad music.  The first level has some of the worst, yet most memorable music in a hucard.  I can still remember that one and the Neutopia II song, hah.

torgo

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2005, 04:53:43 AM »
I'm new here, and I'm pretty sure that nobody will believe me, but I used to test quite a bit for TTI. I also talked with Victor Ireland at Working Designs quite a bit.

Victor had very strong convictions in terms of retaining the integrity of the games that they converted. the nudity and a part where a girl flips someone off are the only things pulled from CF2 as far as I can remember. It's been a few years  :D

I was a tester for Splash Lake, and to tell the truth, for the last couple of years, the only game that actually went through any graphical changes was Air Zonk. Everything else became merely a language translation.

The changes in Air Zonk consisted mainly the Charged Bomb, that was originally a big pile of poo in the Japanese version. That game was on such a fast track, that the US names of the characters and levels were applied via a hasty phone call. "I need to rename all of this for a meeting taht's in a half hour!" The names that John and I came up with are what were applied to the final game.
PS Nation

esteban

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2005, 09:23:09 PM »
Quote from: "torgo"
I'm new here, and I'm pretty sure that nobody will believe me, but I used to test quite a bit for TTI. I also talked with Victor Ireland at Working Designs quite a bit.

Victor had very strong convictions in terms of retaining the integrity of the games that they converted. the nudity and a part where a girl flips someone off are the only things pulled from CF2 as far as I can remember. It's been a few years  :D

I was a tester for Splash Lake, and to tell the truth, for the last couple of years, the only game that actually went through any graphical changes was Air Zonk. Everything else became merely a language translation.

The changes in Air Zonk consisted mainly the Charged Bomb, that was originally a big pile of poo in the Japanese version. That game was on such a fast track, that the US names of the characters and levels were applied via a hasty phone call. "I need to rename all of this for a meeting taht's in a half hour!" The names that John and I came up with are what were applied to the final game.
Rock on, thanks for the scoop.  If you can think of anything else, please feel free to share it with us!  I am still working on this article... and of course there is a entire section dedicated to "Scatalogical" content that was found in Japanese versions....

I NEVER KNEW ABOUT AIR ZONK!  awesome.
  |    | 

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2005, 03:49:59 AM »
In the Hucard "Photograph Boy" I forgot what the name is in Japanese, but somewhere in the game has a racial charactererization of Michael Jackson. Big red lips and everything.

esteban

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2005, 12:56:12 PM »
Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"
In the Hucard "Photograph Boy" I forgot what the name is in Japanese, but somewhere in the game has a racial charactererization of Michael Jackson. Big red lips and everything.
Excellent, I'll have to find that part of the game (I've only completed the first level or two). This game was already going to be included in my article-- but for the "streaker" and "showering ladies" you take pictures of (and gawd knows what else in the later levels!).

Unfortunately, I don't own the HuCard (perhaps a future purchase) because the instruction manual might have some neat stuff... the cover (check out www.pcecp.com) certainly hints at lots of "unsavory" elements in the game.

I remember someone had taken screenshots of lots of things from this game... though I can't recall the link off-hand.
  |    | 

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2005, 03:00:46 AM »
For anyone who's played Final Zone II in English (I only seen the clip in Japanese language.)

What did Momoko say to Bowie that made him slap her?

Emerald Rocker

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2005, 06:34:36 AM »
[The setting is Momoko's house. For some odd reason, the big, balding military man Hansen is in the house. Hansen has no relevance to this scene. Momoko, annoyed that her lover, Bowie, is leaving for another battle, confronts him.]

Momoko: "Why won't you quit your war games?"

Bowie: "Sorry, this happens to be my hobby."

[Bowie slaps Momoko across the face.]

That'll teach a woman to question a man's motives!
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Keranu

« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2005, 07:00:08 AM »
Haha, that's awesome.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

torgo

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2005, 04:24:33 AM »
That is still one of the funniest moments EVER. Just because of the long-ass load time right before the slap. My friends and I were dying when we first saw that.
PS Nation

Keranu

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2005, 01:38:45 PM »
Oh man, I tried beating this game on the 4th and I made it to that part and couldn't stop laughing at how hilarious that was! I love how there is a little pause inbetween what Momoko said and Bowie's slap.  Unfortunately I didn't beat the game. I made it to the last level without dying, but I heard fireworks going off, so I had some exploding to do instead (which turned out not happening).
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

TR0N

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2005, 10:26:41 AM »
Does any body know the differnce with the, U.S&JPN version of Devil Crush?

I've herd the U.S one is missing the pentagram :?:

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

esteban

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2005, 12:44:55 PM »
Quote from: "Tron"

Ahhh, excellent question!  I'm sure the emulation folks can figure this out quickly.  I don't own the Japanese HuCard (it's always pretty expensive when I stumble upon it).
  |    | 

twor2005

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2005, 05:41:39 PM »

Looks like the pentagram is changed to one of those 8 sided stars like the smaller ones on the lower part of the board in both versions. More consistent that way if nothing else. No other differences that I can see.

esteban

« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2005, 06:12:20 PM »
Quote from: "twor2005"

Looks like the pentagram is changed to one of those 8 sided stars like the smaller ones on the lower part of the board in both versions. More consistent that way if nothing else. No other differences that I can see.
Thank you!  This was a good find, because I didn't even have "occultism" (though I did mention religion) as a category for my article.  If folks want to send me (or post) screenshots, that would be swell. KEEP 'EM COMIN!
  |    |