Author Topic: Censoring / Sanitizing North American Games  (Read 3598 times)

Black Tiger

Censoring / Sanitizing North American Games
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2005, 04:21:20 PM »
Quote from: FYI: There was a pirated HuCard (a multi-card, if you will) that had 4 pc-engine puzzlers

I have a 4-In-1 Sports Hu Card.

Each time you turn on the system, a game just randomly boots.

It has a raised shell casing, kinda like the flash-rom HuCard.

If I remember correctly, it wouldn't fit in my Supergrafx but it does fit in a GT.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Black Tiger

Re: Censoring / Sanitizing North American Games
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2005, 04:44:12 PM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
Quote from: "stevek666"
The nazi party, IIRC, simply took this existing symbol, and slightly altered it (why? would they do this... i can't remember).

They didn't. The swastika is an old Aryan religious symbol. Just as Japan used Shinto as a state religion as part of their agenda in WW2, Hitler and his Nazi party used the swastika and other Aryan symbology as part of theirs. It's merely a religious thing. Of course, since stories are often misconstrued and mistold, especially in countries which fought against the Nazis, the symbol became one of evil rather than the good symbol that it was to millions of people for centuries.[quote]

The Nazi's actual logo is of a swastika turning a particular direction, tilted and encased in a circle. Although they also used the tilted swastika without the circle for some three dimensional purposes.

The general swastika has been used all over the world in different variants pretty much throughout recorded history.

http://www.manwoman.net/swastika/swastika.html

The Manji symbol is pretty much as opposite a swastika as possible from the Nazist version.

But some ignorant and ironically biggoted parents/parent groups in the U.S. demanded that the Manji symbol be removed from a japanese Pokemon card.

It was only sold at retail in Japan. Just because it was imported like other Pokemon stuff during the craze, these losers had the card banned in it's own country instead of doing 5 minutes homework and explaining it to their kids.

Just like with other issues that parents try to ban games for instead of educating, or "parenting" their own children themselves.

It's like Cheif Wiggum said to Homer & Marge:

"I really wish you people would solve these problems yourselves. I mean, we can't be "policing" the city all the time".

I think that they should've just slapped an 'M' symbol anywhere that they really needed it(I think they could've just erased it alltogether) in TM/FEOE II: MM and brought it over.

I wouldn't be offended or take it as censorship if they did then or now with the remakes. I'd just be glad it got translated at all and I'm the world's biggest TM/FEOE fan.

Since it would be an english version of the game, it's reasonable to have an english equivelant.

But I also think that the real reason they never did bring it over was because of the amount of work that would've been involved in translating what was refered to at the time  as the 'biggest game ever'("over 550 megs!").

esteban

« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2005, 05:11:40 PM »
Quote from: "Black_Tiger"
Quote from: stevek666
FYI: There was a pirated HuCard (a multi-card, if you will) that had 4 pc-engine puzzlers on it... including Blodia (boxy boy, drop rock, and can't remember the last one)!  That would have been great for portable puzzling on the go![/quote=stevek666]I have a 4-In-1 Sports Hu Card.

Each time you turn on the system, a game just randomly boots.

It has a raised shell casing, kinda like the flash-rom HuCard.

If I remember correctly, it wouldn't fit in my Supergrafx but it does fit in a GT.

Ahhh....  what games are on the 4-in-1 sports HuCard? I've never seen that!  The Puzzle 4-in-1 is similar to a regular HuCard (not raised) with the cover art from all four games distributed symetrically across 4 quadrants. The auction was for the HuCard only, so there was no packaging or manual. Do you have package / case / manual?
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2005, 05:12:24 PM »
I didn't notice if this was posted yet, but the femme versions and expressions in the Bonk games got changed in the North American versions.

Snatcher also got toned down in the Sega CD version, which was for the most part, a port of the PCE version.

The one game that should've been altered for a U.S. audience but wasn't, is Bravoman. What were they thinking bringing it out over here at all(instead of one of the many other great HuCards that needed zero translating)?

I also don't remember if anyone mentioned Natas from Dungeon Explorer 1 & 2. I forget if his named was actually Satan in the original. I also forget if Judas was in the original.

I read through 4 pages before mentioning the middle finger in Cosmic Fantasy 2 and got beaten to it in one of the last posts. :?  

It was unusual for WD to keep CF2 as the title instead of just calling it 'Cosmic Fantasy' like they did with Shockman/Suibubuman 2. That was cool.

But if they weren't responsible for the hour-long boss fight after stepping off the boat, then they should've fixed it. :x

I still can't remember much of exactly what's been listed already
but Sadler's cigarette was removed from the Genesis version but I'm pretty sure it was kept in the Turbo CD game.

I like how Shouryuken, Hadouken, etc was replaced by "Street Fighter!" in the U.S. arcade version of Fighting Street/SF I.

esteban

Re: Censoring / Sanitizing North American Games
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2005, 05:18:34 PM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
The nazi party, IIRC, simply took this existing symbol, and slightly altered it (why? would they do this... i can't remember).

They didn't. The swastika is an old Aryan religious symbol. Just as Japan used Shinto as a state religion as part of their agenda in WW2, Hitler and his Nazi party used the swastika and other Aryan symbology as part of theirs. It's merely a religious thing. Of course, since stories are often misconstrued and mistold, especially in countries which fought against the Nazis, the symbol became one of evil rather than the good symbol that it was to millions of people for centuries.[quote]

The Nazi's actual logo is of a swastika turning a particular direction, tilted and encased in a circle. Although they also used the tilted swastika without the circle for some three dimensional purposes...
Hah! I never heard about the Pokemon Swasitka fiasco.  The same culturally-ignorant folks who demanded for the symbol to be removed from the Japanese Pokemon card would be equally offended by the tacky manji ornament that adorns the wall of my favorite restaurant.  I think I mentioned it: it's a super-colorful fiber optic manji that slowly rotates.  Awesome.
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2005, 05:29:15 PM »
[/quote]Ahhh....  what games are on the 4-in-1 sports HuCard? I've never seen that!  The Puzzle 4-in-1 is similar to a regular HuCard (not raised) with the cover art from all four games distributed symetrically across 4 quadrants. The auction was for the HuCard only, so there was no packaging or manual. Do you have package / case / manual?[/quote]

The only system I have hooked up ready to go right now is my RX and it doesn't want to play it either right now.

As far I can remember, it has USA Basketball, Super(?)Volley Ball, Hot Blood High School Soccer and maybe the dodgeball was also Hotblooded...

http://members.shaw.ca/justin_cheer/4in1.jpg

I found it as a lone HuCard at a local fleamarket. It's been taped on the sides to hold the shell in place.

The cool thing is that I've never seen a rom for it online. Maybe it houses 4 seperate roms and thats why they come up randomly.

I'd really like to get ahold of the Famicom HuCard.

esteban

« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2005, 05:42:51 PM »
First of all, BlackTiger, THANKS!  You injected some life into this old thread!

I didn't notice if this was posted yet, but the femme versions and expressions in the Bonk games got changed in the North American versions.
Ahhhh! I don't know about this: more info please!  And feel free to post / email me screenshots!

Snatcher also got toned down in the Sega CD version, which was for the most part, a port of the PCE version.
Excellent, can you think of any specfic examples?

The one game that should've been altered for a U.S. audience but wasn't, is Bravoman. What were they thinking bringing it out over here at all(instead of one of the many other great HuCards that needed zero translating)?
I think they were hoping that this would appeal to folks as a distant (very distant) relative of  the MegaMan franchise (which was really hot at the time... didn't MM2 just come out? or maybe MM2 came out later and my theory is baseless :D)

I've never played Bravoman for too long (perhaps I'm afraid the HuCard will corrode my console if I leave it in it?)... I know there is corny dialogue in it (Hi! I am Japanese telephone box!), but does it ever get "dirty" or "risque"?

I also don't remember if anyone mentioned Natas from Dungeon Explorer 1 & 2. I forget if his named was actually Satan in the original. I also forget if Judas was in the original.
Oh, I totally forgot about this. IIRC, someone wrote a LETTER TO THE EDITOR about this! I think they were mildly concerned!  Hahahahahahaha!  I'll post a link if it's from TurboPlay, but it might have been VG&CE or GamePro or something....

It was unusual for WD to keep CF2 as the title instead of just calling it 'Cosmic Fantasy' like they did with Shockman/Suibubuman 2. That was cool.
Yeah, same with Valis 2 and Final Zone 2... I always thought that the "2" was kept because it made the games seem more substantial (hey, if they made a sequel, this must be some series!)

I still can't remember much of exactly what's been listed already
but Sadler's cigarette was removed from the Genesis version but I'm pretty sure it was kept in the Turbo CD game.
Yes, I think you are correct.  This is very kool, since this is a Turbo vs. other platform comparison. I wonder if there are any other examples like this (differences across U.S. versions)?

I like how Shouryuken, Hadouken, etc was replaced by "Street Fighter!" in the U.S. arcade version of Fighting Street/SF I.
I totally don't remember that! Pretty funny :)
  |    | 

esteban

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2005, 05:48:13 PM »
The only system I have hooked up ready to go right now is my RX and it doesn't want to play it either right now.

As far I can remember, it has USA Basketball, Super(?)Volley Ball, Hot Blood High School Soccer and maybe the dodgeball was also Hotblooded...

http://members.shaw.ca/justin_cheer/4in1.jpg

I found it as a lone HuCard at a local fleamarket. It's been taped on the sides to hold the shell in place.

The cool thing is that I've never seen a rom for it online. Maybe it houses 4 seperate roms and thats why they come up randomly.

I'd really like to get ahold of the Famicom HuCard.
Wow, thanks for the pic, that's quite interesting!  The ROM on that is unique, because there would have to be some sort of code to instruct the console to randomly select a game.  The actual ROMs for the games are the same as the standard releases, I'd reckon, but the 4-in-1 definitely has at least a little bit of extra code.  When I'm on my other computer, I'll upload a nice pic of the Puzzle 4-in-1 HuCard. You'll dig it, it looks pretty nice, actually.
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2005, 06:11:14 PM »
ck_Tiger"]I didn't notice if this was posted yet, but the femme versions and expressions in the Bonk games got changed in the North American versions.
Ahhhh! I don't know about this: more info please!  And feel free to post / email me screenshots!

Here you go.

This is the real Bonk-

Why'd they change it? :? [/img]

esteban

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2005, 06:14:44 PM »
THANK YOU!!!!!  oh man, I love how cute femmebonk is!  seriously! so this is Bonk 3 HuCard (JP vs. US), correct?  I assume that Bonk 3 CD underwent a similar change when it was released in North America.

But what about Bonk 1 and 2... they were left intact, correct?

At PCECP, I found:

PC Genjin 3 (HuCard)
PC Genjin 3 Taikenban (HuCard) -- Promotional

and no Japanese CD release of PC Genjin 3.

The US version of Bonk 3, apparently, adds a "battle mode" (as well as Redbook audio).

So what's the deal, I am confused!
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2005, 06:17:35 PM »
THANK YOU!!!!!  oh man, I love how cute femmebonk is!  seriously! so this is Bonk 3 HuCard (JP vs. US), correct?  I assume that Bonk 3 CD underwent a similar change when it was released in North America.

The first pic is Bonk 2, the second is Bonk 3.

Bonk doesn't femme-it-up after eating meat in the original PC Denjin, but there are probably other differences still.

esteban

« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2005, 06:29:17 PM »

The first pic is Bonk 2, the second is Bonk 3.

Bonk doesn't femme-it-up after eating meat in the original PC Denjin, but there are probably other differences still.
AWESOME.  See my previous post, I added a query about the Bonk / PC Genjin series in general. Again, THANKS :)
  |    | 

GUTS

« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2005, 07:55:04 AM »
On the swastika thing, the second Goemon game on N64 had the manji (?) symbol turned into hearts for the US version, but in the instruction manual it clearly shows the original symbol.  I guess whoever did the manual based it off the Japanese version and didn't know Konami was going to edit it for the US, haha.

twor2005

« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2005, 07:59:37 AM »
I was just playing through Cadash (local version) and noticed a mermaid with no nipples. The import might provide a little more. This would be consistent with Working Designs' "no nipples" policy.

edit: Nope I was wrong. I'm really digging Cadash by the way. Its like a more serious and challenging Dynastic Hero/Wonder Boy.

esteban

« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2005, 09:49:45 AM »
Quote from: "twor2005"
I was just playing through Cadash (local version) and noticed a mermaid with no nipples. The import might provide a little more. This would be consistent with Working Designs' "no nipples" policy.

edit: Nope I was wrong. I'm really digging Cadash by the way. Its like a more serious and challenging Dynastic Hero/Wonder Boy.
Hey, thanks for checking that out, I appreciate it.  Cadash is fun. We need more games that incorporate NINJAS into the typical D&D party.

Quote from: "GUTS"
On the swastika thing, the second Goemon game on N64 had the manji (?) symbol turned into hearts for the US version, but in the instruction manual it clearly shows the original symbol. I guess whoever did the manual based it off the Japanese version and didn't know Konami was going to edit it for the US, haha.
Ha! You'd think someone would have spotted that before it went to the printers :)
  |    |