Author Topic: Censoring / Sanitizing North American Games  (Read 3596 times)

Keranu

Censoring / Sanitizing North American Games
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2005, 01:20:34 PM »
Does anyone here remember the last town in Exile with all the naked people? I haven't played the Japanese version, but I strongly assume that there is some perverted dialog leaking around, especially when you save that chick because Sadler kind of said something perverted already, but I forgot.

And as far as Bravoman goes, I don't see how people consider it a bad game really. I think it's a pretty straight-forward solid platform game, nothing makes it awful really. Of course I would have rather chose another game to be brought out here, but I am not ashamed of poor Bravoman.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2005, 04:58:01 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
Does anyone here remember the last town in Exile with all the naked people? I haven't played the Japanese version, but I strongly assume that there is some perverted dialog leaking around, especially when you save that chick because Sadler kind of said something perverted already, but I forgot.

And as far as Bravoman goes, I don't see how people consider it a bad game really. I think it's a pretty straight-forward solid platform game, nothing makes it awful really. Of course I would have rather chose another game to be brought out here, but I am not ashamed of poor Bravoman.
If folks can follow up on Keranu's Exile lead (naked, raunchy folks... that wasn't the island of Baccus or Bakas or Bachus or however they spelled it, was it?)

And I'm going to pull out Bravoman in the next week or two and give it another chance, OK?  Seriously.
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2005, 06:32:55 PM »
Awesome, I think you might agree with me Steve about Bravoman since we seem to share similar tastes in the poor man's games. I wouldn't say Bravoman is a generic title too, because it has some unique gameplay bits to it like how Bravoman can stretch out his limbs (this is especially fun when doing multiple jump kicks in air) and the horizontal shooting stages (like Shubibin Man 2). Also the art style in the game is pretty original if you ask me, along with the hilarious "BRAVO!" yell every time he punches.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

twor2005

« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2005, 09:47:48 PM »
Who can forget Van's uncle: "Is that a spear or are you just happy to see me?"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Keranu

« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2005, 10:50:05 PM »
Haha, is that in CF2? I don't quite remember that one.

akamichi

« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2005, 12:20:43 AM »

Bravoman was a very popular arcade game in Japan when it came out.  I'm not sure what the appeal was for them, but I thought the game was interesting for the time.

It's pretty surprising how many arcade translations are on the PCE.

Keranu

« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2005, 01:47:36 AM »
Yes the PCE has tons of arcade ports and they are all pretty close and great if you ask me.

nodtveidt

« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2005, 02:48:30 AM »
In Exile, the isle of Eleusis does indeed feature many nude people. Eleusis is based on a tropical island from history which was exceptionally hot, so people didn't usually wear clothing (it wasn't necessary) and when they did, it was very light clothing (light robes, etc). Both Exile and Exile II had locations based on actual locations of the world (Exile II was more obvious in this respect). But there are no "perverted" comments in the English version of the game (I wouldn't know about the Japanese version since I don't know a whole lot of Japanese, plus I don't even have the Japanese version). Yes, they're naked, but calling them "raunchy" is downright mean. :( That would be like me calling everyone who showers "raunchy" because you're naked when you do it. :P I don't understand why today's society has such a problem with people being nude...

Ya, that comment about the spear is from Cosmic Fantasy 2, and it's right in the beginning of the game before Van goes to the tree.

lord_cack

« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2005, 04:03:25 AM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
In Exile, the isle of Eleusis does indeed feature many nude people. Eleusis is based on a tropical island from history which was exceptionally hot, so people didn't usually wear clothing (it wasn't necessary) and when they did, it was very light clothing (light robes, etc). Both Exile and Exile II had locations based on actual locations of the world (Exile II was more obvious in this respect). But there are no "perverted" comments in the English version of the game (I wouldn't know about the Japanese version since I don't know a whole lot of Japanese, plus I don't even have the Japanese version). Yes, they're naked, but calling them "raunchy" is downright mean. :( That would be like me calling everyone who showers "raunchy" because you're naked when you do it. :P I don't understand why today's society has such a problem with people being nude...

OH yeah, we can have drugs, gangs, and people getting beaten bloody....but we better not see any nipples or forget it....see thats america....we accept violence but not nature.... :?
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

lord_cack

« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2005, 04:37:14 AM »
Awesome, I think you might agree with me Steve about Bravoman since we seem to share similar tastes in the poor man's games. I wouldn't say Bravoman is a generic title too, because it has some unique gameplay bits to it like how Bravoman can stretch out his limbs (this is especially fun when doing multiple jump kicks in air) and the horizontal shooting stages (like Shubibin Man 2). Also the art style in the game is pretty original if you ask me, along with the hilarious "BRAVO!" yell every time he punches.

I think that Bravoman is alot like Rayman...a fore father of Rayman of sorts.......only Bravoman's body parts stretch not just hands that go flying across the screen....
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

esteban

« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2005, 08:24:35 AM »
Yes, they're naked, but calling them "raunchy" is downright mean. :( That would be like me calling everyone who showers "raunchy" because you're naked when you do it. :P I don't understand why today's society has such a problem with people being nude...
I know! I'm sorry, I was speaking in the voice of the "Mr. and Mrs. Censor" when I said that!  Of course I totally agree with you :).  My personal views on this, and many other related issues, are far-out-to-the-left progressive (I might upset some folks here, so I'll keep it to that... though my viewpoints will be revealed when I finish my article).

Ya, that comment about the spear is from Cosmic Fantasy 2, and it's right in the beginning of the game before Van goes to the tree.
This I actually remembered! THANK YOU FOR THE SCREENSHOTS from Exile and CF2, by the way!!!!!!!!!!
  |    | 

nodtveidt

« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2005, 10:14:49 AM »
Quote from: "stevek666"
I know! I'm sorry, I was speaking in the voice of the "Mr. and Mrs. Censor" when I said that!  Of course I totally agree with you :).  My personal views on this, and many other related issues, are far-out-to-the-left progressive (I might upset some folks here, so I'll keep it to that... though my viewpoints will be revealed when I finish my article).

Ah okay, that makes more sense now. :D Thanks for the clarity. I'm pretty left-wing myself, the difference is that I could care less if it offends people...mainly because the right-wing brings about censorship and propaganda that displeases me, and if they're not going to change their closed-minded ideals then I'm not going to change my open-minded ideals. :D

esteban

« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2005, 12:45:20 PM »
Ah okay, that makes more sense now. :D Thanks for the clarity. I'm pretty left-wing myself, the difference is that I could care less if it offends people...mainly because the right-wing brings about censorship and propaganda that displeases me, and if they're not going to change their closed-minded ideals then I'm not going to change my open-minded ideals. :D
:). Ask Keranu about some of the message board scuffles I've been in concerning politcal / social issues -- with fellow gamers, of course.    I'm pretty sure he witnessed some of them (but he did not partake).  Naturally, it turned out that the folks I respected the most (videogame-wise), turned out to be pretty darn conservative.  Ahhhhhh, the craziness.
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2005, 12:57:10 PM »
:D

twor2005

« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2005, 02:20:25 PM »
Steve you might want to avoid lengthy conversations with the guy who did the ys translations if you don't want them spoiled by association.  :wink:

Heck I can't even get the things to work. But I'm sure thats my own lack of skills, and blank cds. Ys complete looks to die for too. And I could deal with Ys 4 and xak.