Author Topic: After a very long time of waiting, new to the scene...  (Read 573 times)

araceli

After a very long time of waiting, new to the scene...
« on: December 16, 2008, 08:35:13 AM »
I have wished to own a tg-16 since playing one when I was younger at my cousins house. I have owned just about every console system there is, but this one always alluded me for some reason. I am definitely sure it was the hugh cards that attracted me partly to it, and the other part I know was the really colorful graphics, and Bonk! I loved bonk. And especially Cadash, and the many working designs games for the system. Well, recently there was a sale of a tg-16 US, turbostick, random game, for like 39.99. Well, like always I was like, sigh, better not spend the money, but then someone in chat was like, you should buy one, seriously, get yourself one. And I was like, you know what, he is right. So I got it a few days ago, and I love it. I got the game Yo Bro, probably the only person on earth that actually likes it.lol. But I am pretty addicted to it.

If anyone can give me any recommendations for games, or any recommendations in general that would be great? Zeon said that I should probably post a thread just asking for recommendations and stuff just to get acclimated to the scene.

Thanks.:D

nectarsis

Re: After a very long time of waiting, new to the scene...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 08:44:55 AM »
Check runinruders stickied thread in PCE thread, and search top 10 threads that have been, all great resources :)
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
Welcome aboard and welcome to Turbo goodness.  You can't go wrong with Dungeon Explorer, Bomberman '93, Neutopia I and II, Dead Moon, Soldier Blade, Galaga '90, Military Madness, Splatterhouse, or the Bonk series (though really just about anything is a step up from Yo' Bro).

Here's a few of the 'Top Ten' surveys (the first two likely being of most interest to you):

Top Ten Turbo Games
Top Ten HuCards
Top Ten CD Games
Top Ten PCE CD Games
Top Ten RPGs

P.S. - I hate it when consoles sneakily make disguised references.  :lol:

P.P.S. - Just playfully bustin' your chops a bit; please don't take offense at the comment above.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Zeon

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 10:27:53 AM »
As far as hu card games go here is my list of hands down must gets broken down by category:

Nonstop Action:

Bloody Wolf *
Ninja Spirit *
Bomberman '93
Devil's Crush - excellent pinball game
Splatterhouse

Strategy
Military Madness

Shooters:

Air Zonk
Blazing Lazers *
Aero Blasters
Galaga '90 *
R-Type *
Super Star Soldier *
Soldier Blade

Adventure/Platform

Bonk's Adventure *
Bonk's Revenge *
New Adventure Island
Parasol Stars

Rpgish

Cadash
Dungeon Explorer - if you get anything get this, excellent game all around, up to 5 players, and cheap to boot *
Neutopia - kinda like the original zelda but much better *
Neutopia II - the sequel that takes a bit of it's own direction
Dragon's Curse

Solid titles:

Nonstop Action:

Alien Crush *
Bomberman
Time Cruise

Racing:
Chase H.Q.
Final Lap Twin *

Shooter:
Fantasy Zone *
Dragon Spirit *
Psychosis

Sports:
Hit the Ice *

Action/Adventure
Chew Man Fu
Keith Courage *
The Legendary Axe *
Legendary Axe II *
Legend of Hero Tonma
Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
Pac-Land *

* means the game can be picked up relatively cheap

This is by no means a complete breakdown of games, just some of the ones I enjoy or find enjoyable, honestly there are quite a few cheap but great games you can pick up. Just look for titles with a * by them. If you want any more info on a certain title I listed, feel free to ask.

Press_Run

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 01:33:02 PM »
Welcome to the forums.

Zeon pretty much put up most of the good games with a few exceptions.

Shockman and Splatterhouse (surpised Zeon forgot to mention THIS game)

If there's a Turbo CD or Duo in your future, then I greatly suggest Y's 1, 2, and 3, Lords of Thunder, and Gates of Thunder.

Zeon

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 07:16:54 PM »
Welcome to the forums.

If there's a Turbo CD or Duo in your future, then I greatly suggest Y's 1, 2, and 3, Lords of Thunder, and Gates of Thunder.

Uhh I did mention Splatterhouse under must get titles in non stop action. I also hesitated to mention Shockman because I can see how someone might not like it. It's definately not one of the first games I would pick up.

Duo_R

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 08:30:50 PM »
Welcome aboard. Working Designs fan eh ? Awesome, I loved the RPGs they imported. I did pickup Cadash and enjoyed it minus the fact that you can't save your progress, but it is a port from an Arcade so that is understandable.

Alot of good suggestions given, I personally would start with Bomberman 93. Just a great game overall, has a 1 player mode, and an even better multiplayer. Of course u will have to get a tap and extra controller(s).

Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

ceti alpha

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 01:15:32 AM »
Hey araceli. I've met you on the shoutbox, but welcome to the Turbo Circus.  :mrgreen: Glad to see you're enjoying your new console catch. :)

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Press_Run

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 01:40:59 AM »
Welcome to the forums.

Uhh I did mention Splatterhouse under must get titles in non stop action. I also hesitated to mention Shockman because I can see how someone might not like it. It's definately not one of the first games I would pick up.

You're right. Damn I was more tired than I thought.  :shock:

See your point on Shockman, but the same can said for other titles like Dungeon Explorer and Fantasy Zone whose graphics lean toward 8-bit than 16-bit. Anyway, to make up for my Splatterhouse bit, try Somer Assault. It's quite a unique niche game. You play as the most unlikely of heroes, a slinky. The experience itself is one of a kind. You should try it out. 

Zeon

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 03:38:36 AM »
You're right. Damn I was more tired than I thought.  :shock:

See your point on Shockman, but the same can said for other titles like Dungeon Explorer and Fantasy Zone whose graphics lean toward 8-bit than 16-bit. Anyway, to make up for my Splatterhouse bit, try Somer Assault. It's quite a unique niche game. You play as the most unlikely of heroes, a slinky. The experience itself is one of a kind. You should try it out. 

YES!!! I freaking love Somer Assault, but so many don't like it for some reason. Glad to know I am not the only one that appreciates it. Now If only I could track down a copy with manual for <$15

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 09:12:48 AM »
In terms of first games to try, I'd recommend the same first games that got me hooked on the thing.

When my Aunt and Uncle gave me their Turbo, I got

Bonk, Neutopia, Vigilante, Super Volleyball, and Alien Crush.   

Then I went and got China Warrior, Keith Courage, and Fantasy Zone.

This was enough to hook me on the Turbo/PCE permanently......

If I had to break it down very carefully though.... the 5 games you should you should play ASAP are....(aside from Bonk since you know that is awesome)

Neutopia ------Zelda clones can sometimes be better than Zelda!
Blazing Lazers/Super Star Soldier --- Seizure inducing shooters are a must
Bloody Wolf--- Contra's forgotten brother
Sinistron or Dead Moon ---Horizontal Scrolling shooters that aren't R-Type/Nemesis are fun too!
Ninja Spirit---- It's like Legend of Kage + Ninja Gaiden + Awesome

OH.

and Silent Debuggers.  That is a must.  Period. Oh man.  You get sci fi adventure, first person shooting action, a neat story, addicting/challenging gameplay, and it looks reallllly nice.

It's a safe bet too that if you find a Turbo Grafx game for sale somewhere, that its good,so buy it.   I can't think of a Turbo game I really hated.  Some were just mediocre (Veigues Tactical Gladiator), but they're still fun to play.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Paisa49

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 01:53:01 AM »
Some were just mediocre (Veigues Tactical Gladiator), but they're still fun to play.

I actually loved Veigues. If you want to talk mediocre, I submitt JJ and Jeff or China Warrior.  :D

araceli

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 03:45:54 AM »
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. For my first game I decided to buy Blazing Lazers. Price definitely factored into my purchase. I will wait to purchase the more expensive games for later. But I think this will be much better than Yo Bro.

hoobs88

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 05:09:27 AM »
I have a few games for sale under this link if you are interested:
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=5781.0
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 10:45:37 PM »
Some were just mediocre (Veigues Tactical Gladiator), but they're still fun to play.

I actually loved Veigues. If you want to talk mediocre, I submitt JJ and Jeff or China Warrior.  :D

JJ and Jeff was lost in translation!

China Warrior though, man.   I can't say for myself, but my friend who was 10ish at the time of its release, said they were amazed by that game.  They had their turbo hooked up to the projector and actually had lifesize sprites on the wall in their living room!    :-D

They knew their nintendo couldn't do that!     
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.