Author Topic: Just beaten Ys I, II, and III  (Read 584 times)

Press_Run

Just beaten Ys I, II, and III
« on: January 09, 2009, 04:17:19 PM »
Hey all!

I did it! As of last night, I've officially beaten Ys 1 and 2 for the Turbo CD (on my PC-Engine Duo-R). Man, it was freakin sweet kicking Darm's butt and the first time in a long while I really enjoyed an ending so throughly and happily.  :mrgreen: Games like these should be given a second look at cause they definitely have the right polish and execution most games these days wish they had.

Shortly there after, I popped in Ys III and stoked how much the quality has improved compared to the previous installment and played the heck out of it....for one day.  :shock: Was surprised how quickly I blazed through it and expected to occupy my interest for at least week. All-in-all, I throughly enjoyed it like the last one but ended all too soon.  :(

Anyway, with Ark of Napishtm beaten, I have beaten every kind of Ys game brought over to the US.  :dance: :dance: :dance: With that and a little review, I can finally commence with my Ys 3-part project video review for the upcoming release of Legacy of Ys I and II for the DS.  :D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 04:43:11 PM by Press_Run »

ParanoiaDragon

Re: Just beaten Y's I, II, and III
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 04:24:42 PM »
I....hate to point this out, but, there's no apostraphe in Ys.  Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine.  Anyways, I suggest picking up Oath in Felghana & Origin as well, wonderful games!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 04:36:58 PM »
Congrats; the Ys series is solid gold.  I suggest you pick up Ys IV and the translation patch (or a faq if your Duo doesn't do CDRs).  8)
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Press_Run

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 04:44:02 PM »
I....hate to point this out, but, there's no apostraphe in Ys.  Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine.  Anyways, I suggest picking up Oath in Felghana & Origin as well, wonderful games!

Fixed. Hope it put your mind at Ys.  :wink:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 04:58:58 PM by Press_Run »

Keranu

Re: Just beaten Ys I, II, and III
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 07:16:11 PM »
Ys Book I & II has my favorite story progression in any video game. The climax and ending is such bliss.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

spenoza

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 03:23:10 AM »
Sweet! The pun even uses the correct pronunciation... I can't believe I enjoyed that so much. I'm such a dork.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

ceti alpha

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 03:27:06 AM »

Fixed. Hope it put your mind at Ys.  :wink:

haha. Very well executed.  :clap: :mrgreen:

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

sunteam_paul

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 04:20:12 AM »
Sweet! The pun even uses the correct pronunciation... I can't believe I enjoyed that so much. I'm such a dork.

Ease? That's not how it's pronounced. It's like as in Geese.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Nintega

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 05:14:12 AM »
I wish I can play the Turbo version of Ys III. I have the Genesis one instead. The prices of used copies are over the top. Last time I saw one go for $80.

MotherGunner

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 05:15:05 AM »
Ah the age old argument.

I too thought it was pronounced "EESE" (like in EAST without the T)
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

MotherGunner

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 05:19:23 AM »
I wish I can play the Turbo version of Ys III. I have the Genesis one instead. The prices of used copies are over the top. Last time I saw one go for $80.

That's crazy, I just picked one up in November for $20 Best Offer accepted.  Keep looking man, you shouldn't pay more than $25 for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330288291349&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=&salenotsupported
-MG

sunteam_paul

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 05:33:25 AM »
Ah the age old argument.

I too thought it was pronounced "EESE" (like in EAST without the T)

Correct. I used to pronounce it Why's when I had it on the Sega Master System, but since then, I have learned better from the speech in the game visual scenes. Once you play the PCE/TG version it really clears up all that confusion!
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 01:53:13 PM »

Ease? That's not how it's pronounced. It's like as in Geese.

Close enough, pun appreciated  :D

MotherGunner

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 02:21:06 PM »
Anything that rhymes with

Just can't be good!
-MG

spenoza

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 02:40:50 PM »
It's close enough for my. It wasn't "wise", and as long as it isn't that, I'm OK with it.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c