Author Topic: PCECP google ads  (Read 374 times)

esteban

PCECP google ads
« on: April 28, 2005, 02:17:47 PM »
hi folks.  at least a week ago (maybe 2) I noticed that www.PCECP.com started running google ads at the bottom of the page.  I was kind of surprised, but that is the kind of resource site that might generate some income for bt garner / mind rec, so it will most likely be invested back "in the community", so to speak.

Ideally, I'd love ad-free internet, but it has already been commercialized (unfortunately) and realistically I know that the google ads probably won't even begin to compensate for the time / labor / expenses incurred with running a site (let alone a homebrew company).

That's it.  :)  Well, I could go off on a poltical discussion about the fact that we, the public, technically OWN the airwaves and the internet, and yet large corporations are the ones who make billions off of it.  But that's a whole other discussion :)
  |    | 

Pcenginefx

PCECP google ads
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 11:16:35 AM »
For those long-time visitors to Pcenginefx.com, I've experimented with banner ads many times in the past.  My main beef with them are that they get in my way with site design, thus why I only had them up for a short while.  I've always paid for Pcenginefx.com with my own money, and will continue to do so when other sites go bye-bye....
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

GUTS

PCECP google ads
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 02:43:00 PM »
Haha is anyone still making billions off the internet?  I thought that ended in the 90s.

I wonder if those google ads are generating anything, I was always under the impression that you barely made dirt off of banner ads like that.

twor2005

PCECP google ads
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 03:20:14 PM »
Yeah I doubt PCECP gets enough hits to generate anything more than a few cents a month if anything.  I would imagine this site beats it by a wide margin, though this isn't exactly yahoo either.

I don't think we've ever technically owned the internet the way we own (ed) the airwaves, since it came about in different times. But we will own the internet someday I think.  :wink:

bt

Re: PCECP google ads
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 01:48:20 AM »
Yeah I doubt PCECP gets enough hits to generate anything more than a few cents a month if anything.

Very true.  In the 2 years that google ads have been running, the "net income" for PCECP has been
a grand total of.... $58.83 (and no, since google does not even pay you until you reach $100).

The ads were mainly put up as a way to help with the hosting costs (which total about $400 annually).
So doing the simple math will easily show you that this is not the way to break even.

At this point it is more curiosity to see how long it will take to reach $100, rather than anything else.. and in all honesty, right now I am feeling that once that is reached, the google ads will probably go away since they are not really helping in the way that I hoped (?) they would.

FM-77

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 03:36:48 AM »
I recommend getting Adblock Plus, then totally blocking http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com - the plague of the Internet. Google Ads.

Get Adblock Plus here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

It requires Firefox, but you're already using that excellent browser of course.

Here's some adblock lists you can subscribe to. By getting the first two, including the fourth, you'll block pretty much any ads on the Internet.

http://adblockplus.org/en/subscriptions
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 04:08:46 AM by Seldane »

nat

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 08:35:21 AM »
A little late on the draw, eh, bt?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 09:38:09 AM »
Nat - what the hell are you talking about?  What's two years between friends, eh?  :lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

bt

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 10:17:41 PM »
A little late on the draw, eh, bt?

No, it would have been rather pointless to proclaim the failure (or success)
of something like this 4 weeks after it was started.

2 years though, I think gives a pretty good idea about trends.

nat

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 05:07:39 AM »
So you bookmarked the thread two years ago with the intent of returning to it yesterday?  :lol:

bt

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 06:22:36 AM »
So you bookmarked the thread two years ago with the intent of returning to it yesterday? 
Yup.  I am just the epitome of organization.

-bt

lkermel

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »
I personally do not mind google ads. They are usually small and not 'right in your face' like others.
I have added google ads to my site and tried to integrate them to the overall design as much as possible, so they're not disturbing. And they indeed help me with the hosting cost and I do not think there's anything wrong with this. I'm not against sites using ads, really, if they are well integrated and if it helps them to stay alive and well...

esteban

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 03:55:03 AM »
I personally do not mind google ads. They are usually small and not 'right in your face' like others.
I have added google ads to my site and tried to integrate them to the overall design as much as possible, so they're not disturbing. And they indeed help me with the hosting cost and I do not think there's anything wrong with this. I'm not against sites using ads, really, if they are well integrated and if it helps them to stay alive and well...
I know what you're saying, but I'd rather get a handful of folks to donate money directly to a site than have a site "soiled" with advertisements. I have received more money from direct contributions in $1 - $10 amounts than I'd ever, ever, ever see with google ads. Of course, folks with better, more popular sites would probably make more money with advertisements. My wife, for example, gets a few hundred dollars a year from "adbrite" and she doesn't even have a particularly popular or frequently updated site. Her google ads generated $60 over the course of 2-3 years... but adbrite was a nice chunk of change.

I have no desire to criticize someone for trying to subsidize the cost of running a site...

I just don't like advertisements, myself. This partly stems from the fact that I designed banner ads in one of my past lives... ugghhhhhhh!
  |    |