Author Topic: PC Engine video problems  (Read 508 times)

dritske

PC Engine video problems
« on: February 02, 2009, 10:43:12 AM »
Hey guys,

I have a PC Engine with composite AV mod. I haven't been playing for a while but today my fingers were itching again so I connected it again.
Unfortunately the picture is pretty distorted with horizontal distorted lines scrolling up all the time. It seems to be less but not gone while there's no audio, like after the title screen music.

I really don't know what's happening because it used to work. I'm using the same TV as before, tried other cables already.
I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out here..

Thanks!

drits
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 08:41:48 PM by dritske »

SNKNostalgia

Re: PC Engine video problems
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 11:50:07 AM »
Sounds like a bad/loose connection, most likely with the ground connection. Open it up and see if a wire is disconnected to the video jack or where it is connected to on the pc board. The ground is the outer part of the RCA jack, which is the ( ) of this (o) .

Platinumfungi

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 06:19:39 AM »
I'd agree with SNK. Sounds like a bad connection.

Did you do the AV mod / or are you familiar with the premise of how the jacks are hooked up? If so just open it up and double check all the connections. Look for bad solder joints or anything that looks loose.

It would probably be a good idea to go ahead and reflow all the solder spots.

dritske

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 12:25:33 PM »
Sorry for bringing up my old topic again, but I still haven't figured out what's going wrong.

I checked for loose connections and bad soldering joints but haven't found any. I rechecked again today (after many years) because after moving to my new place I opened my boxes with retro gaming systems again.

Here's the result when I power on my PC Engine with the great Jackie Chan:

Here's a picture of the inside of this little broken marvel:

Hoping I can still fix it...

Thanks!

PS I didn't do this mod myself. I bought the console this way at gamedoctorHK.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 08:53:58 PM by dritske »

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 05:30:10 AM »
Corrosion everywhere on those solder connections and traces. Might as well de-solder everything on the PCB, cleanup those areas and check for eaten through traces. Also, might be a good idea to get your video and audio from the source instead of the expansion pin-out. You can always send your system off to someone here in the tech/mod discussion forum and it should be no more than a $10-15 mod plus shipping since the jacks are already in place.

I would go ahead and S-video mod it while you are at it. Ends up looking 3x better with the newer S-video mod, but it will cost you maybe $30 more.

Edit: It looks like some repairs where done with that mess on the bottom left. I would just send it off to someone to take a look at it right away.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 05:32:53 AM by SNKNostalgia »

thesteve

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 08:16:58 AM »
make sure your using the right power supply
that looks like AC on the power line

dritske

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 09:00:39 PM »
I'm gonna look for someone in Europe (I'm from Belgium) who can fix it, but I think it's going to be hard to find someone. Anyone here who can make me an offer?

@thesteve: I'm using a 9V DC power suppply (actually it's the one from my Roland SPD-S which also works on my SMS & SMD). Do you mean the previous owner toasted it with using the wrong power supply?

NightWolve

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 09:08:18 PM »
I believe he means he doesn't trust the power supply that you're using. Looking up the power needs, yeah, the original supply for a PC Engine is 9 V and needs to be able to handle at least 650 mA. If steve thinks that AC is coming through, then his troubleshooting advice is to try another 9 V power supply. It sounds like it's not doing a good job of converting your AC to DC, and smoothing it (old diodes or old smoothing capacitor or perhaps with your 220 VAC situation in Europe, the step down converter to 120 VAC could be another factor).

dritske

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 11:10:35 PM »
I'm using this power supply (the EU version):
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PSB120

i just tested with another power supply, something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-supply-adaptor-Master-System-black/dp/B005POHXO2

Unfortunately still giving the same result.

wildfruit

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 11:29:50 PM »
The polarity on a mega drive adapter is the opposite of a turbo one. I don't know if pce is reversed also?

NightWolve

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 11:49:52 PM »
Oh OK, both of these have stepping down ability from 240 VAC, you don't have a separate adapter inbetween. Looks like the problem is likely more with the unit then. :/ (It wouldn't power on at all if the polarity was wrong, and I think that would've permanently damaged it too).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 11:53:54 PM by NightWolve »

thesteve

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 10:27:34 AM »
are you using RF or the composite mod?

dritske

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 12:45:19 PM »
I'm using the composite mod.

thesteve

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 08:14:17 PM »
Try RF, see if it's different

dritske

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 11:07:23 PM »
With RF still the same problem (or even worse actually probably due to NTSC-J signal?).