Author Topic: Set Disc Error  (Read 1434 times)

Platinumfungi

Re: Set Disc Error
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 12:19:08 PM »
Great! If he offered to pay for repairs then I'd make a list of expenses and send it to him asap. Hope that works out  :clap:

I can take some photos tomorrow if you need, but I'll try and run through what you should do here.

- Place your Duo R upside down on a soft surface and remove the torx security screws.

- Flip the Duo back over, so it's right side up now, and carefully start to lift the top half off the bottom half. I say start to, because on the cd-rom side of the system there is a small wire that attaches the top and bottom halves. So, as you lift the top half off, locate that wire and be careful that it doesn't get damaged. You won't be able to totally separate the two halves because of the wire, but that's fine. The wire is long enough that you can just prop the top half up with something while you look around the inside.

- Locate the cd-rom/laser area. You'll find a large piece of off white plastic covering a large portion of it. Look along the bottom of this off white plastic piece and locate the small clips that hold it in place. Gently pull this plastic piece straight up (while gently freeing those clips if need be). Set the plastic piece aside.

- You'll now be able to see the laser in full view. Locate the two black philips head screwdriver ports at the right hand edge of the two metal rails that the laser is attached to. Turn the philips head ports to open them.

- Once you have the philips head ports turned and opened, you can gently pull the two metal rails up (and the laser will come up too).

- Gently move the laser on the two rails so that it is in the center. As you reposition the laser/two metal rails back down into position, make certain you look at the small plastic gears just above the laser and line up them.

- Close the two black philips head ports.

- Click the off white plastic housing back into place. Make sure it's clicked down all the way.

- Put the lid back on and reinstall the torx screws.

While you have the unit open, look at that small wire that holds the top and bottom halves of the case together. Follow the wire to where it is connected on both halves and inspect that everything looks ok. This button/wire is what registers if the "disc tray is open". So I'd imagine it could be stuck, have some dirt in it, etc. Try to clean it if it looks dirty. Gently move it around and see if it seems to function properly. You can remove the small philips head screw that holds the wire to the top half if need be. Just be careful as that small piece of plastic is some what fragile.

That sounds like a lot of things to do, but it's really not. Let me know if you need pictures to help.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 12:24:17 PM by Red Ghost »

lisalover1

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 07:30:54 AM »
It didn't work. The laser just automatically repositioned itself back to the far left when I tried to play a disk. Also, sorry I wasn't able to reply for a while; I was away for a few days.

Platinumfungi

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 01:38:39 PM »
Ok. Just so we all know exactly where you're at, what all did you try?

lisalover1

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 02:22:28 AM »
I've given up trying to repair it myself. I'm just going to try to find a repair shop to fix it. Thank you for your help, anyway.

Platinumfungi

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 04:32:32 AM »
Fair enough, good luck!

Just for reference, Duo_R and myself are actively working on systems if you need us  :P

pcenginesales

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 05:54:43 AM »
Probably not the sellers fault, Duos break in the overseas post roughly 1 in 10 times. I stopped selling them because it was costing me too much, and sending them back to me for repair overseas both ways cost more than the console itself.

I'm offering the mods on my site tentatively, if any break after coming to me for modification I think I'll quit modding them too. No time to keep repairing consoles I've modded, and when the CD fails after I did a video mod I don't want to be blamed.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 05:56:58 AM by pcenginesales »
www.retro-access.com - Modded consoles and SCART cables for retro consoles and computers. We ship worldwide.

Platinumfungi

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 06:28:36 AM »
Probably not the sellers fault, Duos break in the overseas post roughly 1 in 10 times. I stopped selling them because it was costing me too much, and sending them back to me for repair overseas both ways cost more than the console itself.

I'm offering the mods on my site tentatively, if any break after coming to me for modification I think I'll quit modding them too. No time to keep repairing consoles I've modded, and when the CD fails after I did a video mod I don't want to be blamed.

I've had this issue myself when buying cd-rom systems from Japan. I've gotten to the point anymore that when I send a cd-rom based system through the mail, pretty much regardless of what it is, I mark it with "this end up" arrows, fragile, and wrap the thing like it's going to be kicked. A good layer of styrofoam around the system also helps I think.

lisalover1

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 12:47:37 PM »
I sent it to a local console repairer, and he said he got the system to work perfectly when he set it upside-down. I asked him for a video to prove it, and, sure enough, it worked. So, I had him send it back to me. I tried it, and it still doesn't work! It gives me the same error as always. What could be the problem?

pceslayer

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 04:12:42 AM »
can you play a music cd in it?