Author Topic: Turbografx Cd Player Won't Spin Disk  (Read 405 times)

Shawnathan

Turbografx Cd Player Won't Spin Disk
« on: March 05, 2009, 01:19:14 PM »
Hello all, this is my first time posting here obviously, but I'm having a problem fixing the Turbografx CD Player portion of the Turbografx CD. I was hoping that someone here has had some experience fixing this problem. When the system is turned on, the CD trys to spin for a second then stops. I hooked the adapter directly to the CD player, but the same thing happens.

WHAT DOES WORK:

As far as I know, the dock part of the Turbografx CD works fine. I used it to have a/v cable support for playing Hu Cards.

The System 2.0 card works I believe, when I turn on the system, the screen turns gray. I'm not sure if it will first go to the Turbografx CD screen before it reads the disk.

The AC adapter works, it's a radioshack unit, but it's the 12v 1500mA adapter that should work with it.

The CD player turns on, the red LD displey comes up with the digit 0, that's it though.

The motor isn't dead, I hooked a 9v battery up to it to test it.

I can see a red light in the lens, so I think the laser is working.

WHAT DOESN'T WORK: (As far as I know)

The lens doesn't run up and down and attempt to read a CD.

The CD player doesn't spin the disk.

I'm sorry if there was a similar post on this subject, I searched the forum but came up empty. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Came to chew bubble gum and kick ass, but I don't know how to chew

Shawnathan

Re: Turbografx Cd Player Won't Spin Disk
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 06:33:31 PM »
Okay, well, I got the Cd player to work. When it is docked and I turn the system on, nothing happens. Not even number on the cdplayer. All I get is a blank screen. But, when I press play on the CD unit, it will play the sound track from a game.

It doesn't matter if the systemcard is in or out, it does the same thing. So my guess is it could be the Dock, or the systemcard.

But could it be the dock that's bad? Because I can play regular Hu cards just fine through the dock. Maybe it's still the cdplayer? Has anyone had an similar experiences with this?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 07:40:25 PM by Shawnathan »

Shawnathan

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 04:25:30 AM »
Ok, I have two questions that will help me get this TG-CD running again. Because I still don't know if it's the dock, the cdplayer or the system card now.

-Will the turbografx CD menu come up before it attempts to read the cd game?

-Will the system turn on as soon as I power it on? Will the red number at least show?

All I get is a grey screen when I have the system 2.0 card in. But when I put in, let's say Bonk's adventure, it works beautifully with the dock and A/V cables.

pceslayer

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 04:16:37 AM »
Ok, I have two questions that will help me get this TG-CD running again. Because I still don't know if it's the dock, the cdplayer or the system card now.

-Will the turbografx CD menu come up before it attempts to read the cd game?

-Will the system turn on as soon as I power it on? Will the red number at least show?

All I get is a grey screen when I have the system 2.0 card in. But when I put in, let's say Bonk's adventure, it works beautifully with the dock and A/V cables.
The system card should appear first and you have to press run before it will attempt to access the CDROM. I believe the CDROM will display PC in red when a game is being accessed.

HU games work and you can atleast play music (wich rules out the laser) so it sounds to me like your system card isn't working...

Try cleaning your system cards contact with rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 04:55:30 AM by pceslayer »

Shawnathan

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 05:14:41 PM »
Awesome, thanks! I'll try that right away. I'll post the results soon!

EDIT: The system card is definetly not working, thanks alot for the info though. I had no idea if the had to read to see if there was a system card in the slot first or not. I'll post in the sales/trade forum to see if anyone happens to have a spare system card laying around. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 05:23:13 PM by Shawnathan »

Duo_R

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 11:06:07 PM »
I  have yet to find a hucard that is actually toast. Most likely your hucard slot is really dirty. and your Sys card is also a little dirty and it wont play. Check the pins, do they look different on the sys card VS other games? if you search u can find some threads on cleaning the hucard slots. What I often do if I am too lazy to clean, is pop the game all the way in, then pull it out slightly. The Power switch might barely pass the hucard, but often this is a cheap little trick to get the game to work.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Shawnathan

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 04:44:25 AM »
I don't think the hu Card slot is bad, because I can still play regular hu Card games with the dock and a/v cables. I've tried cleaning the system card a few times.

But yeah, the system card does look different. When I look at a game card, there are a few pins in the middle that have smaller looking pins coming from the back of them.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 05:14:24 AM »
But yeah, the system card does look different. When I look at a game card, there are a few pins in the middle that have smaller looking pins coming from the back of them.

I don't have mine sitting in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that's normal.  I think Duo_R is talking about the color of the pins the level of corrosion.  What have you tried cleaning your syscard with?  Sometimes you have to get pretty aggressive, such as an alcohol wet sand.  It might sound abusive, but at this point you don't have much to lose, considering the card ain't working anyway.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Shawnathan

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 12:02:58 PM »
All I've tried was rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab. I've also heard of using a high polymer eraser too, I'll try to scrub a little harder and see what happens. The system card has been sitting for years, so you're probably right. The color of the pins seem to match other hu Cards. Thanks for helping me out guys!

Duo_R

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 01:14:06 PM »
they gotta be a golden shimmer!  :dance: Careful with cotton swabs, that leaves little cotton fibers behind. Also, have u researched how to clean your hucard slot?

All I've tried was rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab. I've also heard of using a high polymer eraser too, I'll try to scrub a little harder and see what happens. The system card has been sitting for years, so you're probably right. The color of the pins seem to match other hu Cards. Thanks for helping me out guys!
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Shawnathan

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 05:46:35 PM »
I found a deep scratch on the back of the system card 2.0. I believe that is why it isn't working. I don't know I didn't notice this before. I went ahead and bought a new one, if this isn't why the tgCD isn't working correctly I'll just return it. Thanks again for the info guys!