Author Topic: Region Mod woes !@!#@$!@#$  (Read 1603 times)

Duo_R

Re: Region Mod woes !@!#@$!@#$
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 09:35:37 PM »
haha I go the opposite, easiest first (learn the basics) then on to the advanced. If I try to take on something too big and it fails that just frustrates me VS smaller victories building up to the bigger ones.

So your chip is pulling .02 amps, and how much amps is your system pulling (although I find it hard to believe it is making all the amperage and not leaving enough for your low amperage IC.

I usually do everything the hard way first just to learn it.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

pceslayer

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 06:02:58 AM »
haha I go the opposite, easiest first (learn the basics) then on to the advanced. If I try to take on something too big and it fails that just frustrates me VS smaller victories building up to the bigger ones.

So your chip is pulling .02 amps, and how much amps is your system pulling (although I find it hard to believe it is making all the amperage and not leaving enough for your low amperage IC.

I measured the amperage @ the fuse and it was pulling .20 Amps (with no game)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 06:29:56 AM by pceslayer »

pceslayer

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 07:44:35 AM »
so something great just happened   :evil:

The ribbon cable became disconnected from the mainboard!

With no easy way to reattatch it, I guess its time to rewire this damn thing. ](*,)

atleast its only 42 wires  :(
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 07:51:19 AM by pceslayer »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 08:02:03 AM »
I installed one of these on a Duo R and haven't had any problems at all despite using really thick wire in generous quantities. I got my chip from D Lite before the big melt down. I'm not sure if this chip was from the same batch as yours. I don't know where it came from.

If the game just glitches after running for a while, and you didn't bump the system or anything, then yeah it really does sound like an issue with power or ground to the chip.

I would be suspicious of your power supply. The Sega CD one in particular is hella old. If possible, trying monitoring the voltage to the chip as the game freezes up. It may be dropping voltage as the transformer heats up.

pceslayer

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 06:09:29 PM »
I made mine myself...

If I can't get it to work in the next few days, I guess I'll just go grab my TG16 out of storage and use 2 systems.

Duo_R

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 07:28:18 PM »
yeah you won't find a pre-made one anymore. But honestly, you did all this work, why not region switch with an 8pdt? I mean you have all your data wires ready. You just wire and be done. The problem though is the holes you already drilled, but if you backout now the situation won't be much better (a useless switch).

I made mine myself...

If I can't get it to work in the next few days, I guess I'll just go grab my TG16 out of storage and use 2 systems.
Add my YouTube channel:

Duo_R

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 07:35:56 PM »
I take that back, I just noticed on pcenginesales website that she installs region switch chips in the UK. Perhaps she can sell one to you. That would be your best bet for the small PC Engine, especially since you already installed your switch for it.

Add my YouTube channel:

pceslayer

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 06:27:39 AM »
I take that back, I just noticed on pcenginesales website that she installs region switch chips in the UK. Perhaps she can sell one to you. That would be your best bet for the small PC Engine, especially since you already installed your switch for it.

I don't know if I want to attempt another PCB mod.  :|

I'd consider a pushpin or slider switch.... Now that there isnt 2 thick ass grey ribbon cables in there, either method would work for me.

Question though... how would I have to mount that pushpin inside of the unit? epoxy to the case?? or is there a way to mount it properly?

Also I'll post pics of my fix in the other thread I have... nothing fancy... just a ton of wires.

Have a bit more room inside though!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 06:37:04 AM by pceslayer »

Duo_R

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 08:24:02 AM »
the slider switches are no where to be found. However the push buttons are still available but no epoxy needed since they are threaded and can be mounted with a simple screw cap. I can send u photos later. They are just a little bigger size than the older switches I used to use. You need about 2 1/2 inches of clearance directly behind where u install.
Add my YouTube channel:

pceslayer

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 08:27:26 AM »
I deff have the clearance now :)

I'm guessing that screwcap is seperate...?

Linky!

Duo_R

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2009, 10:51:56 AM »
Get the switch here:

http://www.surplussales.com/switches/SWPushB-1.html

this is what it looks like, you need to get screw caps (separate) to thread on though.

PM me if you want more pictures, etc.

I deff have the clearance now :)

I'm guessing that screwcap is seperate...?

Linky!
Add my YouTube channel:

Duo_R

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2009, 10:54:33 AM »
also check the web page in my signature, you will find instructions on how you will want to wire this baby up. I still need to update the guide.
Add my YouTube channel:

pceslayer

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2009, 01:31:09 PM »
Thanks alot Duo!

Is the screw cap the button guard that they offer on the same site?

Could you post a external pic of the switch installed?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 01:37:05 PM by pceslayer »

pcenginesales

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2009, 04:19:54 AM »
I have NEVER had this happen.

What is the exact number on the chips being used?

Also (though should mean nothing) I don't use any board to mount my ICs on. I keep my mods cheap because well, people are cheap and I can't get good money for mods. I solder both ICs together then glue them to the bottom of the board for the HuCARD port.

I use a simple two way switch like yours and very thin wire.

I use a third party 1000mA PSU.

I draw +5 voltage from the + end of the 10uF capacitor on the HuCARD port board (this part should mean nothing however.)

Every single PCE I've modded in this way is also modded for RGB with a full amp circuit. The amp is placed in between the ribbon cable. I don't use a board for that either!

I've modded like twenty of these for customers this year and not a single one has reported an issue.

Now occassionally I do get an interference issue on first screwing a unit together, this is solved by unscrewing, moving wires, moving the amp. I don't understand why these issues would be considered so common as to resort to that enormous switch. Might look OK on a Duo but it's not good on a Core. I see you put a hole in the Core for your IC mod switch, which is the sam place I've put it in the past. The only feasible place really for the 8PDT switch to go in a Core is behind the AV out with the switch sticking out the back (but not too far to plug in a CD ROM unit.) And all the consoles I've seen modded this way had had that config. Plus you can't use the existing hole for a switch in a white engine if you use the 8PDT. Nor can you engineer a switchless mod.

You know what I'm guessing this issue is? The more stuff you cram into a console the more likely you get interference. The less space in the unit, the more squashed it gets when you screw it together. So you keep the parts to a minimum. I don't use the prototyping board. I'd rather glue IC components to existing board then solder onto the legs of the ICs. Keep the wire thin and short. But not too short it can catch and be pulled undone on something.

Here's another issue. The Core Grafx has a metal plate in the casing above the port. I had modded 5 white engines using IC mod before I tried a Core and I short circuited the unit. I didn't take note of the metal plate. The blobs of solder you apply can end up touching that plate. If you bend back the pins in the HuCARD port to do the mod, they DEFINITELY will touch that plate. It won;t damage your console to plain remove the plate (apply heat to where it has been literally applied by melting the plastic casing, melt it off.) Or if you prefer, seeing as that plate is added to prevent interference you can simply cover the mod up with tape.

I think if you made your mod like mine, ie don't use prototyping board, use the same socket mount ICs I do, glue ICs under the HuCARD port, use thin wire, draw +5V from where that capacitor is soldered, you would not have power or interference issues. The only issues you would have would be related to wiring the mod wrong, which is easy enough to do and you'd notice it right away anyway.

Your other problem here is, you are modding a console that's been fixed before. And the crack you had was all around the power in port. You could have some damaged components there which are causing a loss of power and could be affecting this mod.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 07:08:52 AM by pcenginesales »
www.retro-access.com - Modded consoles and SCART cables for retro consoles and computers. We ship worldwide.

pceslayer

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 07:31:13 AM »
@pcenginesales

the chips are MC14551BCP

Can you show a pic of what how you solder the IC's together?

Is it simply bending the legs and stacking them?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 10:53:59 AM by pceslayer »