Author Topic: 8PDT Slide and Push Button Switches for Region Modding!  (Read 784 times)

override

8PDT Slide and Push Button Switches for Region Modding!
« on: April 01, 2009, 08:52:13 AM »
Hello,

Hello to all,

I have been researching alot on Region modding my TG-16 for playing Japanese Imports! Card Converters are expensive and very "rare". Im sure almost everyone knows that virtualy any system can be region modded but the case with most people is not knowing how or finding someone who can mod them. There are three ways that I know of to mod the Turbografx systems.
Modding the system is quite simple as so that the only difference is 8 pins that are reversed and by simply unreversing them you are able to play import games or use an import System Card without a converter.

The simplest way is to buy (if you can find em) an 8PDT switch and rerun/solder the 8 huconnecter pins to it so that you can switch between USA/JAP modes! This can also be done with 8 SPST switches which frankly is unreasonable and more costly @ about $2.99 a switch at RadioShack.

The second way is to buy a premade PCB chip and solder the pins to the chip then to a SPDT Switch or a DBDT switch.

The third way is making your own PCB with IC's and pretty much running it the same as above.

These all involve cutting holes out on a spot in the system to mount the switch (usually the side). Oh and I forgot to mention these are slide switches you can also use pushbutton switches. Ok here is the whole reason of the thread.

Since it is so hard to find single buy 8PDT or even 4PDT switches I was wondering if I bought bulk in these switches how many people would be interested in buying them for this or any other project they see fit OR (kinda what Im really going for) with a video or photos of a successful Region Mod done by yours truly would any of you be interested in letting me do the mod? The best deal I have found yet is 77 8PDT slide switches @ $1.62 each. I will be willing to make this bulk purchase if I can get enough people interested!

I think my resale price would be $3.00 + S/H each on the 8PDT Switch and 3 switches @ $2.25 + S/H. As soon as I get a chance to make a video of me turning a system into a Region Modded System I will modify this thread with a link to it.

I hope I can get some people interested in this! I am only messing with the Turbografx systems right now. Eventually I want to get into all systems! I would like to become a mod guru! Well thanks to everyone who supports this!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: 8PDT Slide and Push Button Switches for Region Modding!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:28:52 AM »
If your bulk buy falls through, you can pick 'em up singly from Surplus Sales (hometown proud, yo!), though obviously not at a reduced price.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

override

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 12:53:20 PM »
If your bulk buy falls through, you can pick 'em up singly from Surplus Sales (hometown proud, yo!), though obviously not at a reduced price.

Thanks for the advice!

I know of this website and I actually was trying to stay away from the push button switch....I dont like it as much.....I do have one question though I was going to order one neways and a LED to put next to it and two IC's and a PCB for the more technical region mod and was wondering....Have you ever purchased off the site? I went to pay with credit card and there is nothing that shows the page is encrypted so I dont want to send my cc# across the net without encryption protection.....I emailed the guy that I guess owns the store/site and he never emailed me back saying it was a safe connection or not. I would like to know this is a trusted site before I just throw my credit card # out at em'.

Thanks,
Robert
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 02:07:40 PM by override »

Duo_R

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 03:55:37 PM »
Welcome to the boards Override......

The simplest way is to buy (if you can find em) an 8PDT switch and rerun/solder the 8 huconnecter pins to it so that you can switch between USA/JAP modes! This can also be done with 8 SPST switches which frankly is unreasonable and more costly @ about $2.99 a switch at RadioShack.
8 SPST - this shouldnt even be considered

The second way is to buy a premade PCB chip and solder the pins to the chip then to a SPDT Switch or a DBDT switch.
No one is making the premade PCB's anymore

The third way is making your own PCB with IC's and pretty much running it the same as above.
yup

Just buy a pushbutton region switch as Necro stated. $5 a switch for something that works just fine doesn't really justify a bulk order on slide switch (which who is making that anymore???). Even if my old source is making those, it really isn't worth doing an order with pushbutton easily obtained (unless someone needs alot). Who is the source?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 03:59:57 PM by Duo_R »
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

override

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 05:06:58 PM »
Welcome to the boards Override......

Thanks for the Welcome!!! :-"

8 SPST - this shouldnt even be considered

Im sorry I dont know what I was thinking it was (5) SPST Switches (I think) He mounted them on the cover for the expansion slot....I may be a little off but I have seen it....Infact here is the link

Im probably off on this one but atleast you can see something of what Im talking about...

No one is making the premade PCB's anymore

Premade PCB Chips are still made....There is one site I have found them at for sale.....Although I have not tried to buy one yet. Check www.multimods.com

Just buy a pushbutton region switch as Necro stated. $5 a switch for something that works just fine doesn't really justify a bulk order on slide switch (which who is making that anymore???). Even if my old source is making those, it really isn't worth doing an order with pushbutton easily obtained (unless someone needs alot). Who is the source?

http://www.seniorindustries.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=82MS2R1

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 05:27:56 AM by override »

Duo_R

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 05:28:55 PM »

Premade PCB Chips are still made....There is one site I have found them at for sale.....Although I have not tried to buy one yet. Check www.multimods.com
That is D-lite, no one has heard from him lately as you may have heard. Feel free to send him some $$$ and see what happens.

This is the switch I use now (I used to use old slide switch, u can see pics of it in the web page in my sig):

I am curious on the price u got, not a bad deal. I just think you will have a hard time getting more than 30 purchased on a group buy.

m sorry I dont know what I was thinking it was (5) SPST Switches (I think) He mounted them on the cover for the expansion slot....I may be a little off but I have seen it....Infact here is the link

Im probably off on this one but atleast you can see something of what Im talking about...
My gawd, that is the worst mod ever!!!!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 05:31:50 PM by Duo_R »
Add my YouTube channel:

override

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 07:36:56 PM »
I am curious on the price u got, not a bad deal. I just think you will have a hard time getting more than 30 purchased on a group buy.

I was quoted 77 slide switches @ $1.62 each! I am going to see if the electronic dealer here in my town would be willing to purchase this bulk deal and then I will have access to these when I need em.....They guy said he would look around for the switch but has yet to get back to me....Prolly a sign he is not interested [-X. Neways I am going to go ahead and stick with the push button for now....The more I think about it the more I think I will like it! Im gonna throw an led in with it and Im still deciding how and where I want to mount both of em...I might go ahead and do the RCA mod....Not sure.....BTW Im looking for a copy of Ys I and II for TG....If you got one you want to get rid of lemme know if not but you know of one Id like that too!

Thanks

Fakk2

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 11:19:51 AM »

That is D-lite, no one has heard from him lately as you may have heard. Feel free to send him some $$$ and see what happens.

This is the switch I use now (I used to use old slide switch, u can see pics of it in the web page in my sig):

m sorry I dont know what I was thinking it was (5) SPST Switches (I think) He mounted them on the cover for the expansion slot....I may be a little off but I have seen it....Infact here is the link

My gawd, that is the worst mod ever!!!!

Can you install this push button switch for region mod on a PC Engine PAC for LaserActive?

override

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 12:10:58 PM »
Fakk2,

I dont see why you couldnt just so long as you need a reversing switch...DPDT or Double Pole Double Throw - Dual ON-ON - A pair of on-on switches
which operate together.
A DPDT switch can be wired up as a reversing switch for a motor, or circuit or even region modding such as reversing the pins on a TG system!

Check out this link for a pic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DPDT-symbol.svg

Duo_R

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 04:00:27 PM »

Can you install this push button switch for region mod on a PC Engine PAC for LaserActive?
yes but i personally wouldn't
Add my YouTube channel:

pceslayer

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 07:11:36 AM »
I'm sure you could, but considering how rare and expensive those units are...

well I wouldn't do it   :?

override

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 07:29:55 AM »

I'm sure you could, but considering how rare and expensive those units are...

well I wouldn't do it   :?

You should investigate your findings a little bit more....The pushbutton version of the 8PDT switch is not "rare" you can find them on several websites! They are not "pricey" as you say...The pushbutton switch is only $5.50 each at this WEBSITE!

The slide switch is only around $1.50 - $2.00 each but are hard to get in singles...Most places I have found you have to order these in bulk....Such as 77 pieces @ $1.62 each. Im sure you could find a site to sell them singles but they would prolly cost about $5.00 aswell.....

UNLESS OFCOURSE.........You are talking about the actual PC Engine PAC....then yes those are very very rare and expensive and I doubt I would do it either.... :D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 07:31:30 AM by override »

Duo_R

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 07:42:31 AM »
he's talking about the PC Engine PAC
Add my YouTube channel:

override

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 08:23:03 AM »
I just had the most awesomest thing happen to me today!  :dance:  :clap: :clap:  :-"  :D

I checked my mail today for parts, new phone, new laser for TG, etc. and found to have my new phone!!!! Also I recieved a package from Senior Industries! I got three 8PDT Submini Slide Switches!!!! :P I didnt pay for them or pay shipping either!

Well now that I posted that little bit of information for those who had a chance to view and read it now can do the same if they want too! I dont know what your results will be but it worked for me....Im in the process of talking with a gentlemen at the local electronics store about ordering the bulk buy and see if he will let me buy them as I need em!

If I happen to get him to order them then I will let you guys know and I will distribute them evenly! Hope this thread helped out some guys!

I will be willing to let go of one of the switches I got!...I want to keep two of em tho' just incase I mess one up....Offers anyone?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 10:30:43 AM by override »

Duo_R

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 08:29:02 AM »
great switches, require a little more skill to install but they are awesome.

Pic of one installed:

and the pre-wiring:

http://www.geocities.com/duo_r@sbcglobal.net/files/switch.jpg

Now is it the "right angle version like the one in the pic?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 08:32:07 AM by Duo_R »
Add my YouTube channel: