Author Topic: RGB Amp design schematic! Hope it helps serve many amps to come!  (Read 774 times)

override

Sup mah peeps!

Ok, thanks to forum member incrediblehark I was able to finally give this amp a test run! He sent me this type transcoder along with his duo so I could test this amp and if it worked, perform the mod on his duo. Well I finally got the scart cable in the mail today so I went to testing with numerous games. This amp provides awesome color, and amazingly greater detail. It takes out the blurriness that is created by the composite when displayed on an HDTV. Im using duojindances duo to PS1 adapter to connect from the duo to the scart cable.

Here is a picture of the amp itself top and bottom for reference:

RGB Schematic, also you can download the PDF below:

Sorry for the glare, I need to redo this at night time...These are on a Samsung 55" UN55D7900 TV in 4:3 Aspect Ratio. If I get the CRT tv I've been wanting I will take more pics on that too.

Composite is first, Component is second:

The colors are much richer and the picture is not smeared looking, the brightness needs to be adjusted for Component, It needs to be lowered so you can see more of the fine details.

Alrighty I ended up getting myself a Sony Trinitron KV-32FS120, here are some comparison shots of Composite and Component in that order.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:24:28 PM by override »

Charlie

Re: My RGB Amp design schematic! Hope it helps serve many amps to come!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 02:14:14 AM »
Nice artwork!

No schematic?  If not, some questions:
1.The 100/16 cap at the left end has both pins marked "GND"?  I think the top one ("GND board" ) should say "PWR board" or maybe "VCC board". Or am I reading your circuit wrong? 

2. "GR"  = (either Green or Gray),  "BL"  = (either Blue or Black).  Also, Purple is not a valid color, it's actually Violet.  So my guess is Violet, Green, Black for 75 ohms?

3. I see "104k 125~G" at the left end, is that a .1uf , 125VAC cap?

4. IC numbers?

5. You don't distinguish the inputs from the outputs.  I'm assuming that those solder points marked "8 Din" are the outputs to a connector?

And, how well does it work?  Get those IC's down and show us!

Thanks,
Charlie

esteban

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 02:18:51 AM »
"IC2" is mislabeled. It should read as "ICU2".

Your welcome.

Schematix4eva
  |    | 

Platinumfungi

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 02:56:19 AM »
Awesome  :clap:

Charlie

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 06:20:20 AM »
>>"IC2" is mislabeled. It should read as "ICU2".<<

Not necessarily, he can call them anything he wants; whether "IC1", "IC2" or "ICU1", "ICU2", is up to him.  (Of course, traditionally they should have the same prefix)

My question was intended to point out that, without a schematic,  we don't know what the IC's are. 

>>Your welcome<<
Thanks, and you're welcome also.

Charlie

override

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
Nice artwork!

No schematic?  If not, some questions:
1.The 100/16 cap at the left end has both pins marked "GND"?  I think the top one ("GND board" ) should say "PWR board" or maybe "VCC board". Or am I reading your circuit wrong? 

A: Im sorry I must have mislabeled it! It is not exactly final but is close enough to finished that I figured I would throw it up! I'll fix it up and repost a new pic! Thanks for the good eye!

2. "GR"  = (either Green or Gray),  "BL"  = (either Blue or Black).  Also, Purple is not a valid color, it's actually Violet.  So my guess is Violet, Green, Black for 75 ohms?

A: Purple (Violet), Green, Black, Gold

3. I see "104k 125~G" at the left end, is that a .1uf , 125VAC cap?

A: .01uF 630VDC

4. IC numbers?

A: Those will be posted......soon

5. You don't distinguish the inputs from the outputs.  I'm assuming that those solder points marked "8 Din" are the outputs to a connector?

And, how well does it work?  Get those IC's down and show us!

Thanks,
Charlie

A: For most that have read up on an RGB mod (assuming if you want to do one you have) then you would generally know you will be replacing the 5 pin din with an 8 pin din. I will be putting up install instructions with pics when I can get around to it! Thanks for the questions and interest!

Charlie

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 12:34:09 PM »
104 is 0.1uf, 103 is .01uf.  However, either will work in this circuit.

>>replacing the 5 pin din with an 8 pin din<<.  I only have a TG16, which I do not believe has a DIN connector at all.

But, I'll wait for your update.

Keep up the good work.

Charlie

override

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 12:50:02 PM »
104 is 0.1uf, 103 is .01uf.  However, either will work in this circuit.

>>replacing the 5 pin din with an 8 pin din<<.  I only have a TG16, which I do not believe has a DIN connector at all.

But, I'll wait for your update.

Keep up the good work.

Charlie

There is another way to tap RGB in a TG console. You have to tap it through the pins on the expansion port I believe....

There is a site by mmmonkey that I believe has a walk through on making a TG RGB capable!

For anymatter It results in case cutting to add an output if my mind serves me right.

Charlie

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 09:51:14 PM »
>>tap it through the pins on the expansion port <<
That is correct.
The rear of the TG16 has a "shell" (empty cover) that could be used to house the amplifier board; you could either tap into the port, or get a connector.  The outputs can come out one of the openings in the shell that already exist for other purposes; the output need not be a  mounted connection, it can be a cable-end connector.

That is a bit of work, but probably cheaper than the usual RBG booster.

Good luck,
Charlie

ooPo

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 03:06:43 AM »
A turbo booster makes a nice place for an rgb mod, if you don't want to open up or cut holes in the TG16.

blueraven

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 06:08:12 AM »
Over, this is Bad@$$.  :mrgreen:

And we don't have a guide on building an RGB amp in the mod section of the forum....  ](*,)

Please modify this post or turn this into a mod/repair guide explaining how to build the RGB amp for teh n00Bs. That way we can send Aaron an email and turn the post into a sticky. Just an idea.

Thanks for all your hard work! Now I have an idea how to build one myself.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

override

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 07:28:56 AM »
Over, this is Bad@$$.  :mrgreen:

And we don't have a guide on building an RGB amp in the mod section of the forum....  ](*,)

Please modify this post or turn this into a mod/repair guide explaining how to build the RGB amp for teh n00Bs. That way we can send Aaron an email and turn the post into a sticky. Just an idea.

Thanks for all your hard work! Now I have an idea how to build one myself.

I do plan on turning this into a guide eventually! Ill modify the first post when its all complete into the guide and have pcengine sticky it! Thanks for the compliments!

papa_november

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 07:29:23 AM »
I'm guessing those chips are dual op-amps of some kind?

Charlie

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 02:34:06 PM »
"I'm guessing those chips are dual op-amps of some kind?"

Possibly NJM2267 (or equivalent)?  The 47/100 caps on the outputs are kind of a hint, and the unusual VCC/GND connections are pretty much a give-away.

Hope his prototype works, hope he allows duplication/copy.

Charlie

Ravij

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 02:45:34 PM »
A: For most that have read up on an RGB mod (assuming if you want to do one you have) then you would generally know you will be replacing the 5 pin din with an 8 pin din.

Hi - does any one in the UK know where I can find one of these now. My regular supplier hasn't been able to get an 8-Pin DIN for ages (I've been trying to pick one up for a few years now) Everywhere else seems not to have them any more.

thanks.