Author Topic: Turbografx-16/Turbo Duo Collecting Reference  (Read 3582 times)

Emerald Rocker

Re: Turbografx-16/Turbo Duo Collecting Reference
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 08:13:04 PM »
But you already said you aren't documenting all the inserts.  You even said you were going to add a note to the top saying your page doesn't have all of that information.

I was going to point out more contradictions in your statements, but then I remembered that the entire purpose of your site is to show off your collection.  In other words, you don't care if it's helpful or not (by the way -- it's not).  You're trying to pretend it's a public service so that it doesn't look so self-serving.

I guess when people spend so much money on US Turbo games to build an instant collection, they really want to show it off.  You own The Addams Family -- color me impressed!  You are clearly a True Turbo Fan.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

RoyVegas

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 08:58:32 PM »
But you already said you aren't documenting all the inserts. 

When I said inserts I meant things like the investigation notes from J.B. Harold, the play sheet for John Madden Duo CD Football and the Keith Courage comic.  Like I said, if you don't find it useful then don't use it.
All is well. :)

Windancer

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 09:36:14 PM »
Your site says that Bomberman 93 came with a plastic insert.  However, it actually did come with a case.  When you bought the game, the seller swapped it out (probably to keep the case for himself).

So, your page is wrong.  And it could be wrong again in the future, since it's dependent on honest sellers.  Which is why to REALLY know for sure, you'd have to buy everything new.

No actually you are wrong. Bomberman 93 did in fact come with a plastic insert not a jewel case.

BTW Roy Great Job on the website nice big pics and short explanations good stuff
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 09:39:21 PM by Windancer »

Windancer

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 09:44:42 PM »
But you already said you aren't documenting all the inserts.  You even said you were going to add a note to the top saying your page doesn't have all of that information.

I was going to point out more contradictions in your statements, but then I remembered that the entire purpose of your site is to show off your collection.  In other words, you don't care if it's helpful or not (by the way -- it's not).  You're trying to pretend it's a public service so that it doesn't look so self-serving.

I guess when people spend so much money on US Turbo games to build an instant collection, they really want to show it off.  You own The Addams Family -- color me impressed!  You are clearly a True Turbo Fan.

Well I do know for a fact that Roy is a true Turbofan we have got together a few times with Oldskool played some turbo for hours and enjoyed his mini arcade. Goodness over at Roys House :) . All I can say is awesome! We did a gang beating on keith courage and played some dungeon explorer II and some Cadash. I say we go through Adams Family next time we get together ahh its nice to have some turbo friends living so close :P

Sparky

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 02:16:32 AM »
It seems to me that the real purpose of the site is less to provide new information, and more to show off pictures of your collection.

ya thats what i got out of it as well...but hey some people may find it useful.
But i think a good idea is there, a collecting/gaming reference page on here would be a good service....  just say'n :)

geddon_jt

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2009, 02:38:10 AM »
Jeez, so much hostility. I, for one, enjoy looking at the high res pics of these games. Nice job, Roy.

TheClash603

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 03:44:37 AM »
Jeez, so much hostility. I, for one, enjoy looking at the high res pics of these games. Nice job, Roy.

I concur!  I am missing quite a few pieces in my collection, and this website is helpful for me to see what I am missing.  Thanks!

MrFulci

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2009, 08:00:18 AM »
....  Also, you aren't mentioning which games came with "Turbo Gear" advertisements and stuff like that, which would be very important.  To be sure, I think you'll need to purchase your games new/shrink-wrapped.  Otherwise, unscrupulous sellers could pull a bait-and-switch with the insides.

Funny story about those Turbo Gear ads. i once had 2 sealed copies of Super Star Soldier. One was open for years, I kept the box and what was inside it, a turbo gear advert. Later, i sold my open copy, and opened my still shrinkwrapped 2nd copy to keep as my own. I recall noticing that one included a different advert inside, the single sheet adverts. Always thought it was funny, both new copies, bought from TZD years ago, and different adverts in each one.

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

jperryss

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2009, 02:59:35 PM »
Could I make a suggestion? Maybe make the front page a list of links to the individual games (or at least the first letter) instead of loading up all 150 of them at once? Two benefits with that:

-It saves A LOT of bandwidth.
-It makes it possible for someone to provide a link to a specific game (ie, wanting to show someone the contents of a certain game) w/o resorting to hotlinking).

RoyVegas

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2009, 03:15:32 PM »
Could I make a suggestion? Maybe make the front page a list of links to the individual games (or at least the first letter) instead of loading up all 150 of them at once? Two benefits with that:

-It saves A LOT of bandwidth.
-It makes it possible for someone to provide a link to a specific game (ie, wanting to show someone the contents of a certain game) w/o resorting to hotlinking).

I found out how to do this and changed the format of the whole site.  Granted the front page is EXTREMELY plain right now but its all up and working like you asked.  You can also click on a picture if you wish to link one directly.  Thanks for the input!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 06:34:07 PM by RoyVegas »

turbofan1

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 01:00:30 AM »
Pretty cool site.Your collection looks pretty accurate to me.Don`t no why Emerald Rocker giving you such A hard time.I think I`d hit the ignore button.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 05:57:11 AM »
Interesting site, but I have a few suggestions:

-  You shouldn't show cases for those that didn't have 'em.  Sure, people can read that they're reproductions, but that's too much work for some people and others might not be able to understand English very well.  Perhaps you could add a note on the home page and link to a separate page for reproduction cases with where to find empty cases, how to make labels, etc.

-  It'd be more user friendly if you had an alphabetical listing of every title on the homepage along with a thumbnail of the manual (or box).  Either that, or make a site map out of Mr. Nanto's poster and post it above the alphabetical links on the homepage.

Champions Forever Boxing should mention that the other version was red (and provide a pic if someone can oblige).

Bonk's Adventure came with a sheet of stickers.

Hudson's CD Game Music Collection '93 is not complete, as you're missing the single page front cover

-  Retail Ys I & II is not complete, as you're missing the box.

You're trying to pretend it's a public service so that it doesn't look so self-serving.

Maybe Roy is showing off a little bit, but who gives a shit?  There's still some pretty useful information to be had there, and I don't see your bitching as being a service to the community in any way, big or small.  Tell ya what, chief: Roy's site does indeed suck and has been scheduled for deletion by the interwebz godz, you are totally awesome, and you are now free to move on with your life.  :roll:

I think I`d hit the ignore button.

"Ignore" is for weenies.  :D
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

RoyVegas

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 07:43:41 AM »

-  You shouldn't show cases for those that didn't have 'em.  Sure, people can read that they're reproductions, but that's too much work for some people and others might not be able to understand English very well.  Perhaps you could add a note on the home page and link to a separate page for reproduction cases with where to find empty cases, how to make labels, etc.

I was planning on just removing the pictures with the cases as I got the proper packaging.  I can take some more pics without the cases and correct that soon so it's more accurate for the time being.

-  It'd be more user friendly if you had an alphabetical listing of every title on the homepage along with a thumbnail of the manual (or box).  Either that, or make a site map out of Mr. Nanto's poster and post it above the alphabetical links on the homepage.

An alphabetical listing I can do.  As for the thumbnails, I'll have to check into how to do that, please remember html is all new to me.

Champions Forever Boxing should mention that the other version was red (and provide a pic if someone can oblige).

Bonk's Adventure came with a sheet of stickers.

Hudson's CD Game Music Collection '93 is not complete, as you're missing the single page front cover

-  Retail Ys I & II is not complete, as you're missing the box.

The red version of Champions Forever is in the mail and due to arrive any day.  Once it does I'll get it up there.

Nice catch on the Bonk stickers, I'll note it on there.

I think I will be removing the CD music collection disc from the list as its not a game.  Maybe I will make a misc. section eventually showing it.

I'll get the Ys I&II box issue fixed.

I'll get to work on this stuff tonight when I get off work.  Thanks for taking the time to find the issues and post.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 09:03:17 AM »
Even though I'm "anti-collector" (or whatever) and I don't do US versions of PCE games, I still don't get all the hate from the green one.

I think the idea of documenting inserts (real inserts, like maps, not useless shit like reply cards and ads for Turbo merch that are more or less the same from game to game) is a very good one. The best way to get this capability into the hands of the common user though, IMO, is to ask the guys at PCEDaisakusen to add some sort of feature to accommodate it. That site is f*cking awesome, IMO, and I'm sure they would be interesting in adding some extra check boxes or something to their database. I suggested the "this game completed" thing and they added it in a few days. PCE games came with even more free crap than US ones, and I still wonder about some of it. Did all copies of Yuna 2 come with that cool foil sticker, or just the first run? People ask about Tengai 1 once in a while. Exactly what came with each version, etc. What RPGs came with maps and charts, that kind of thing.

[EDIT] I spoke/wrote too soon. Now that I've actually looked at the site, and I'm remembering who RoyVegas actually is (high rolling Fantasy Island guest star, multiple copies of overpriced games that have never been played, etc) I can see where Emerald Rocker was coming from. This pretty much does look like a "brag" site, and while the argument that people would like to know what exactly comes with every game is totally valid, I think the best way to make that info usable is, as I said, to work with PCED to work it into their site which already catalogs almost everything valid already and is much more useful in general. Also, it doesn't make we want to puke my f*cking guts out, even though the guys that run that site have collections just as ridiculous, so that's something there. Also, when Roy eventually sells off his collection Crazy Dion style (as nearly all megacollectors eventually do) what will become of the site? I think PCED is here to stay...or at least as "here to stay" as anything on the internet can be.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 09:17:02 PM by SignOfZeta »

RoyVegas

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 07:22:59 PM »
Added a bunch more boxes today.  I got them this afternoon and opened each box.  When I opened the Impossamole box it had a set of Impossamole stickers in it.  Never seen them before, their pretty cool.  I also noticed that on the Tale Spin box was a sticker that said "Free Poster Inside".  Does anyone ever recall seeing a poster that came with Tale Spin?