Author Topic: Turbografx-16/Turbo Duo Collecting Reference  (Read 3591 times)

Zeon

Re: Turbografx-16/Turbo Duo Collecting Reference
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2009, 04:32:26 PM »
I couldn't focus too well on the case with a camera. I'll drop it on a scanner if you like.

My duo was also purchased new, direct from TZD with their trade-in offer, when I traded in a TG-16 + $$$ for a new Turbo Duo. I never altered the Y's case. Only case I altered was the 3-in-1, which I received in a jewel case with a white tray, no spine-art.

That is EXACTLY what we did, the TZD upgrade trade in, right when the duo first debuted. That copy you have also happens to look exactly like my pack in copy. I'll need to check to see where the manual was made though

SignOfZeta

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2009, 04:58:11 PM »
Quote from: Zeon
That is EXACTLY what we did, the TZD upgrade trade in, right when the duo first debuted. That copy you have also happens to look exactly like my pack in copy. I'll need to check to see where the manual was made though

The Duo debuted before TZD even existed. Do you mean TTI? I can't remember when the trade in period was.

I think the main point to learn here though is that it seems like Duos bought through regular retail channels had first print Y's CDs (made in Japan, no back insert) and ones ordered directly from TZD (or TTI?) had a second print version (USA made, with insert).

As to exactly why a second run was ever needed in the first place...? Who knows? I had always assumed that with the Duo being a huge expensive flop that TZD was still selling stock from their original 1992 shipment when they finally ran out in 2004 or whatever. Maybe this wasn't the case?

I also wonder, for those that got one of these USA copies of Y's, what HuCard did you get? Recently people have been saying they got stuff like a complete copy of Splatterhouse, but everyone I know got a loose Ninja Spirit. Maybe the Splatterhouse was also something for the later runs?

MrFulci

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2009, 05:13:03 PM »
Quote from: Zeon

The Duo debuted before TZD even existed. Do you mean TTI? I can't remember when the trade in period was.

I think the main point to learn here though is that it seems like Duos bought through regular retail channels had first print Y's CDs (made in Japan, no back insert) and ones ordered directly from TZD (or TTI?) had a second print version (USA made, with insert).

As to exactly why a second run was ever needed in the first place...? Who knows? I had always assumed that with the Duo being a huge expensive flop that TZD was still selling stock from their original 1992 shipment when they finally ran out in 2004 or whatever. Maybe this wasn't the case?

I also wonder, for those that got one of these USA copies of Y's, what HuCard did you get? Recently people have been saying they got stuff like a complete copy of Splatterhouse, but everyone I know got a loose Ninja Spirit. Maybe the Splatterhouse was also something for the later runs?

From what I recall, TTI/TZD did not sell any systems after the Turbo Grafx system was discontinued. They stopped when TTI became TZD. TZD was basically the clearing house for the then dead system. There was some sort of legal reason as to why they could not sell systems. After X amount of time of the TG-16 discontinued, they began to sell systems. TG-16, Express, and Duo.

TZD did offer a trade-in program, and basically an exchange program if your system were busted. Everyone I know who sent in a broken sytem to TZD for repairs, received a new system in return.

I did my trade-in Tg-16 for Duo, when the 800-DUO-THIS phone number was still operational. TZD had the telephone number for at least 2 years after TTI closed.

The HuCard I received, was a New in retail box, shrinkwrapped, Splatterhouse.

I think the only pack-in HuCards were either Ninja Spirit or Splatterhouse. I'm wondering if anyone received a Ninja Spirit also in a retail box?

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

SignOfZeta

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Quote from: MrFulci

From what I recall, TTI/TZD did not sell any systems after the Turbo Grafx system was discontinued. They stopped when TTI became TZD. TZD was basically the clearing house for the then dead system. There was some sort of legal reason as to why they could not sell systems. After X amount of time of the TG-16 discontinued, they began to sell systems. TG-16, Express, and Duo.

TZD did offer a trade-in program, and basically an exchange program if your system were busted. Everyone I know who sent in a broken sytem to TZD for repairs, received a new system in return.

The legal reason was that TZD was contractually obligated to service all the systems NEC/TTI sold, so they had to hold back all those Duos and Expresses so that there would be something to exchange. Total replacement is pretty common with cheaper electronics. Send an iPod in for repairs to Apple and you will get a new iPod. Heck, just send it in for a new battery and you get an new iPod.

As soon as the period of the support contract was expired they sold off the systems. Before TZD did this formally I was at a convention and a dealer there had a small number of US Duos in boxes with no games. I asked him where in the world he got them, and he said he couldn't tell me. Its pretty obvious they came from TZD because not too much later TZD started selling parted out Duos themselves. I'm not sure if this was them "breaking the street date", as it were, or if they just didn't getting around to selling them themselves right away.

Zeon

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2009, 12:52:43 AM »
It might not have been right exactly when the duo debuted, but it was around the time tzd took over to sell tti's remaining stock. I think Fulci is correct about the trade in process. If you had any issues with your tg-16 and you called about it (I believe we were having issues with our turbo tap, go figure) they would try to talk you into trading it in towards a brand new duo retail package.

I don't think this was officially or expressly stated on their website ever, nor in their catalogs, but rather a way for them to move slow selling duos via their repair services. Besides, now that they sold you a new duo, you'll want to buy all those nifty new cd-rom and supercd-rom games. See, profit!  :wink: We never even sent them the faulty tap btw.

When the duo was released, no one in our area sold much, if any, duo/tg-16 stuff anymore. We had to rely solely on mail-order tzd for our turbo goods. We got Splatterhouse too. It was kinda ironic that we already owned Splatterhouse, but wanted a copy of the purportedly more common pack in, Ninja Spirit. We could not find it for sale anywhere after renting it from a mom and pop place twice years prior. In fact that copy is still sealed.  :wink:

Oh and for a blast from the past check out tzd via the wayback machine on archive.org. Trust me, it's great! It goes all the way back to 1996...

RoyVegas

« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2009, 07:53:49 AM »
So I have been looking to pick up U.S. boxes I need and have ran across 4-5 people with boxes for Legendary Axe (the first version).  So far the sellers I have talked to with it have told me the one they have is the one with the white bottom.  Just trying to confirm if the U.S. version of Legendary Axe came with the black background and big white lettering OR if it has a white background with a ton of small black print. Can anyone that has a box check theirs and see which one they have?
All is well. :)

Arjak

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2009, 09:51:05 AM »
Nice site, Roy! I don't know why you've been given crap about it.

I noticed something interesting, by the way. My Meteor Blaster DX Signature Edition doesn't have the sticker on the front of the manual. Still, I wouldn't call that a variation, due to the fact that I got it LONG after the offer ended by writing an e-mail to BT Garner, asking if he had any left, and he made up a small batch, just for me!

I guess that makes me a lucky bastard! 8)

And besides, I actually like it better that way, cause I can see the cover art better.

BT, if you're reading this, thanks for giving a damn about me! I had just gotten into the PCE/TG, so I really appreciate what you did; it means a lot!

Thank you!
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2009, 10:26:16 AM »
I got it LONG after the offer ended by writing an e-mail to BT Garner, asking if he had any left, and he made up a small batch, just for me!

So what number is yours?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

RoyVegas

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2009, 10:42:26 AM »
My Meteor Blaster DX Signature Edition doesn't have the sticker on the front of the manual. Still, I wouldn't call that a variation, due to the fact that I got it LONG after the offer ended by writing an e-mail to BT Garner, asking if he had any left, and he made up a small batch, just for me!

I also got my Meteor Blaster DXs long after also by emailing him.  According to BT, he initially was going to sell 100 of them but he never actually sold all 100 of them.  When I got mine he said the last one he sold was number 56.  I have copys 57,58,59 and 60. 

It should definately be considered a variation.  Not just because of the sticker or signature but the things that are different in the game.  A few things that I can recall are that when you turn on the game the title screen has a personal message and the numbering of the copy you have (which should also match the numbering on the back side of the manual).  Also included in the sig edition are an extra ship to chose from, more audio that isn't in the original and a newer version of Loop if I'm not mistaken.

Here is a pic of the title screen so you can see what I mean.  You can see it says Roy's Personal Copy and in the upper right corner it says 60/100.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 10:44:12 AM by RoyVegas »

Arjak

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2009, 10:29:09 AM »
My copy is #56, so I must've gotten my copy right before Roy.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

RoyVegas

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2009, 07:39:39 AM »
So I have been looking to pick up U.S. boxes I need and have ran across 4-5 people with boxes for Legendary Axe (the first version).  So far the sellers I have talked to with it have told me the one they have is the one with the white bottom.  Just trying to confirm if the U.S. version of Legendary Axe came with the black background and big white lettering OR if it has a white background with a ton of small black print. Can anyone that has a box check theirs and see which one they have?

Sill looking for an answer to this.  Anyone?

hoobs88

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2009, 04:53:08 PM »

Mine has White background and black print.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

RoyVegas

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2009, 05:25:27 PM »

Mine has White background and black print.

Thanks for checking.  I did a comparison and it is confirmed the US Legendary Axe definately DID have a white bottom.

esteban

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2009, 01:52:03 AM »

Thanks for checking.  I did a comparison and it is confirmed the US Legendary Axe definately DID have a white bottom.

I know this may be moot, but what precisely were you trying to verify?

It sounds like you are referring to the bottom cardboard flap. Were there variations in the packaging?

Clearly, I haven't been following this thread, but package variations are interesting to me.
  |    | 

RoyVegas

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2009, 04:11:19 AM »

I know this may be moot, but what precisely were you trying to verify?

It sounds like you are referring to the bottom cardboard flap. Were there variations in the packaging?

Clearly, I haven't been following this thread, but package variations are interesting to me.

The bottom flap is exactly what I was checking on.  Most U.S. box bottoms had a black background with big white writing for the name of the game.  There are a few that have a white flap and tons of small black writing.  I believe most of the French/Canadian boxes had a white bottom.  I just wanted to confirm the U.S. Legendary Axe had the white bottom.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 04:15:54 AM by RoyVegas »