Author Topic: Ordyne cover: Was the PCE artwork 'too Japanese'?  (Read 648 times)

jperryss

Ordyne cover: Was the PCE artwork 'too Japanese'?
« on: September 20, 2009, 02:24:18 PM »
Just noticed this today (I own the PCE version and had only glanced at the US cover artwork before today). Anyone else find the US cover a bit creepy after looking at the JP version?

JP version at PCECP.com
US version at PCECP.com

This is the only game that comes to mind that the cover art was just 'tweaked' as opposed to being completely redone. I'm sure there are others though.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 02:53:26 PM by jperryss »

nectarsis

Re: Ordyne cover: Was the PCE artwork 'too Japanese'?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 02:32:30 PM »
You steal images from pcecp.com ;)
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

jperryss

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 02:36:23 PM »
You steal images from pcecp.com ;)

I wanted to link to the search results page but it didn't work. It was either point to the URLs (which is what I did), or hotlink 'em, or save 'em to my Photobucket (which I figured would also be stealing).

And I just changed the URL description so anyone who clicks 'em knows where they're going.  :mrgreen:

nectarsis

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 02:41:58 PM »
LOL no, I mean clicking the links shows that message  :P
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

blueraven

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 02:46:03 PM »
LOL no, I mean clicking the links shows that message  :P

I was going to say the same thing, but Nec beat me to it.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

jperryss

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 02:54:38 PM »
Dammit. Funny they worked fine for me until I tried a different browser.

OK, I fixed the links to go to the specific game on PCECP.com, you'll then need to hit the IMAGES tab to view the cover art. No harm, no foul (I hope).

blueraven

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
The only noticeable difference are the heads on the two children/people. The second being heavily Americanized, and sorely sticking out as being edited/updated for US Audiences. I prefer the Japanese Version, and think that yes, the US version is creepy.

I would be willing to bet your reason is why they changed the cover, even though I disagree with their decision.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 04:12:36 AM »
Was the PCE artwork too Japanese, or was it too politically incorrect to show a buck-toothed chinaman sporting a queue?  Then again, they changed the main character as well, so maybe it's a bit of both.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

SignOfZeta

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 05:02:08 AM »
Maybe it just wasn't shitty enough. Considering most PCE->TG-16 covers out there (and most games of the time period) there was evidently some sort of mandate that video game covers were to suck, bad, as often as possible. For some reason SNK didn't do this, but virtually everyone else did.

Considering the style of the day (too make things suck) I would say that they could have done better (ie: made it even worse).

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 08:49:20 PM »
Dammit. Funny they worked fine for me until I tried a different browser.

OK, I fixed the links to go to the specific game on PCECP.com, you'll then need to hit the IMAGES tab to view the cover art. No harm, no foul (I hope).

they worked for you because the pictures were in your cache!

either way, I think both covers blow.  They Americanized a crappy picture, thus making it even crappier
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

ceti alpha

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 02:44:26 AM »
Ordyne is an example of where you really can judge a book by its cover. It's possibly the worst game on both the TG and PCE (the arcade is equally as bad). If it's not the worst, then it's in the top five. The Japanese cover is better, but we're really only separating the very bad from the worst.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

SignOfZeta

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 03:18:48 AM »
What? How many PC Engine games have you actually played? You think Night Creatures or Deep Blue are better that Ordyne?

ceti alpha

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 05:24:19 AM »
What? How many PC Engine games have you actually played? You think Night Creatures or Deep Blue are better that Ordyne?

Well, as I said, if it's not the worst, it's in the top five. I honestly get physically ill playing this game.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Waterclocker

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 08:50:55 AM »
Ordyne is an example of where you really can judge a book by its cover. It's possibly the worst game on both the TG and PCE (the arcade is equally as bad). If it's not the worst, then it's in the top five. The Japanese cover is better, but we're really only separating the very bad from the worst.

Wow!  It's been a while since I've been on.  Ordyne is far from being the worst or even a bad game.  I have fond childhood memories of playing it and it is one of the reason I went back to collecting Turbo/PCE about 8-9 years ago.  It's great playing coop too!  It's got great graphics and it controls well.  Also a good variety of levels.  The only problem I can see is some slowdown occasionally.  Maybe it's a bit to kiddy for you?
My Channel - Pickups, repairs, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CollectingRetro

Needs more OBEY, but I'm working on it.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 09:43:01 AM »
It's got great graphics and it controls well.

The controls are fine, but 'great graphics' is quite a stretch.  Though the weapons are appropriately cute, the enemies are standard shooter fare (at best), and the backgrounds are monotonously humdrum  - making for a game that lacks the charm of a good cute 'em up.  That said, I can't agree with Ceti's assessment that it's in the top five stinkers; not when there's poo piles like Genpei Toumaden, Falcon, Turrican, Energy, or 'insert generic sports title here'.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles