Author Topic: Red Frog's "TZD", gone?  (Read 309 times)

MrFulci

Red Frog's "TZD", gone?
« on: September 24, 2009, 05:28:09 PM »
I just noticed that tzd.com doesn't load to redfrog anymore, the domain is gone, and I don't even see redfrog online anyplace.

Did they already clear out the remaining TZD stock, and shut down?

I saw a thread on here mentioning they are no longer on ebay, but not much else. This thread here, http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=5528.15

I've been out of the loop on pceningefx.com for some time, I'm curious what happened. It would be interesting to hear if TZD, after changing hands, has finally reached "The End".

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

nectarsis

Re: Red Frog's "TZD", gone?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 05:36:15 PM »
They've been dead for sometime now.  Had 2-3+ accts on Ebay, then those disappeared, and slowly their site died off as well.  IIRC there was a thread about them not responding to emails/phone calls anymore awhile back.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 02:43:16 AM »
If we're lucky, Red Frog was pulled into a quantum singularity, never to be seen again.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

sunteam_paul

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 02:51:27 AM »
Perhaps Red Frog was eaten by Hypnotoad.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

nat

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 04:59:04 AM »
All things considered, what a sad end for TZD. Redfrog's "take" on the site was pathetic; Steve should have simply liquidated the stock and closed the domain himself, giving TZD a dignified end.

esteban

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 11:37:59 AM »
Money is money, as Adam Smith would say.

All things considered, what a sad end for TZD. Redfrog's "take" on the site was pathetic; Steve should have simply liquidated the stock and closed the domain himself, giving TZD a dignified end.

'twas a sad demise for TZD, indeed.

I know "business is business" and that the domain was certainly part of the value of TZD when it was sold, but I am forever banishing the Redfrog era of TZD from my mind.

|    | 

nodtveidt

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 12:56:09 PM »
I banished all of TZD from my mind long ago. Redfrog ruined everything, but that wasn't before it was also discovered that TZD was sitting on many gems that would have been bought up by other customers for a fair price. What was once the last bastion of pure TTI gaming goodness was turned into an ugly scar on the face of the TG's legacy. There is no longer any hope of dignity for TZD. nat is completely right.

exile

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 12:16:44 PM »
I remember having a lengthy conversation with Steve, about how he had saved one of each game in case anyone got a defective game that they sold. I offered to pay double the cost on some of the rare titles but he simply said he wouldn't part with them unless serious money was offered. I wonder if the Red Frog dude got those games as well as the back stock?

nectarsis

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 12:23:58 PM »
SOOOO which one was it...for exchanges, or holding out for BIG $?  Funny as if he still had these right towards the end..was he going to exchange for certain defective games the store prob didn't stock for years?
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

exile

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 06:09:42 PM »
Either way I'm sure he had the foresight to hold them for lucrative purposes.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 04:05:15 AM »
I wonder if the Red Frog dude got those games as well as the back stock?

He did; they were sold on ebay.

SOOOO which one was it...for exchanges, or holding out for BIG $?  Funny as if he still had these right towards the end..was he going to exchange for certain defective games the store prob didn't stock for years?

Can't it be both?  Logically, he may have set aside a copy of each title for exchange, then just never sold 'em after stock sold out.  Besides, the Turbo was a pretty big part of his life for a long time, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was loathe to part with 'em and was keeping 'em as part of his private collection (at least until he decided to call it quits on the whole shebang).  If he was just trying to make a pile of dough, he would've kept more than one copy and wouldn't have sold every other copy for cheap.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

exile

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 07:55:37 PM »
I'm sure you are right necromancer. I'm not upset if he did save em to make some bread, I'm just bummed I got to pay top dollar for games that are not worth the inflated amount. The collector in me wants an original copy, but after checking out the roms of some of the elite rare titles, I can't stomach paying 200+ on games that are twenty years old. sigh