Author Topic: Was there ever a turbo grafx arcade system?  (Read 748 times)

ParanoiaDragon

Re: Was there ever a turbo grafx arcade system?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 02:36:26 PM »
at least one arcade original was developed on PCE hardware: Bloody Wolf, which used the PCE's CPU and graphics chip (but a custom sound chip), and was ported in 1990 to the home system.

I just remembered that I think there was atleast one other game that ran with the same CPU etc., Tom pointed it out to me awhile ago, though, I can't quite remember what it was.  For some reason, it seems like it had something to do with Indians(Native Americans) or the Wild West or something, though, I don't recall it being all that great.

esteban

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 05:36:31 PM »
at least one arcade original was developed on PCE hardware: Bloody Wolf, which used the PCE's CPU and graphics chip (but a custom sound chip), and was ported in 1990 to the home system.

I just remembered that I think there was atleast one other game that ran with the same CPU etc., Tom pointed it out to me awhile ago, though, I can't quite remember what it was.  For some reason, it seems like it had something to do with Indians(Native Americans) or the Wild West or something, though, I don't recall it being all that great.

Some kiosk, or something...
  |    | 

Tom

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 05:49:27 PM »
No, it was a real arcade game. Some funny game. Tri-punch maybe? Something like that. But only the cpu and as the main cpu (quite a few arcade systems used the huc6280, but just as a sound processor running about 1mhz). Matter of fact, Bloody Wolf arcade board uses two 6280's IIRC. One as the main processor and one as the sound processor (under clocked and doesn't touch 6280's audio hardware either. Just some FM chip and 'nother external audio chip). There's a recently discovered arcade system based on a pce style setup and apparently is very rare. I'm not allowed to say more than that, other then when I get the 'OK' - I'll definitely posted info about it here.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 07:21:17 PM »
I guess it depends on what you consider "PC Engine-based". Since the 6280 is custom, anything using it would be somewhat PCE related (as opposed to something running on a 68000...which was almost everything for 15-20 years) but if it has twice as many of something that the PCE had, its not all that closely related, IMO. Not like a Naomi/DC or PS/System11 which run virtually the exact same code, or the MVS/AES which actually does (most of the time) use identical ROMs for arcade/home.

Tom

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 01:57:47 AM »
I guess it depends on what you consider "PC Engine-based". Since the 6280 is custom, anything using it would be somewhat PCE related (as opposed to something running on a 68000...which was almost everything for 15-20 years) but if it has twice as many of something that the PCE had, its not all that closely related, IMO.

Bloody Wolf is pretty close to the PCE arch, using the same main cpu and video processor (just more vram). Close enough for me to hack the arcade roms to run on a PCE system (but without the full 128k, some of the sprites or sprite frames appear corrupt. And there's no sound). But yeah, something like tri-punch isn't a pce related system just because it happens to use Hudson's '6280 as the main processor (like many people make the same mistake because arcade cab X has a 68k and console/computer X also has a 68k, that they must be similar enough). And then there are systems that use it just for handling sound, which pretty much means nothing at all in common with the PCE/TG. But as far as the 6280 being custom, there were a lot of custom and clone processors out there BITD for arcade systems. Just because a machine says 68k in mame, doesn't mean it's motorola's version or even stock. Hudson licensed out all three of its chips from the PCE machine (that's how the PCE was built in the first place, they licensed the chips and the design it to NEC) , but so far only the '6280(cpu) and the '6270(video processor) have shown up in arcade systems. The third chip, the '6260, wasn't really needed in arcade/standalone setups. The '6270 is perfectly capable of generating all the display and timing signals (and special custom resolutions too, both horizontal and vertical) and using external palette ram of any color/bit depth. Anyway, there could be other non arcade applications where the '6280 was licensed for.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 02:16:16 AM »
Some kiosk, or something...

Nu-kote paint kiosk?  But... where do I put the quarters?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 03:25:58 PM »
I have been out of the loop and slowly reading all the posts that I've missed... well, imagine my surprise when I saw this:

There's a recently discovered arcade system based on a pce style setup and apparently is very rare. I'm not allowed to say more than that, other then when I get the 'OK' - I'll definitely posted info about it here.

DUDE, I'm giving you the official "OK" to proceed. Now, please share!

:)

|    | 

alexsduo

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 10:14:59 AM »
 I don't think the type of company distinction was important, I did not bring it up, I was just responding to what someone was talking about, I was not labeling anything..

"Developing games for the lowest common denominator (i.e. - console) and then trying to port it to arcade machines would most likely result in rather lackluster games that paled in comparison to other arcade titles"

I was saying quite the opposite, that IF a sweet ass game was played IN the arcade it may have resulted in more NEC sales, if it were ported to the console, and more potential buyers would have been acclimated to it...  I was not talking about games from the tg moving to the arcade.  It seems that today Sony/MS are willing to sell consoles at a loss, in order to sell games, accessories, and etc.  So, I think NEC could have payed some cash to get get the rights of great arcade games ported to the TG.. I have not played pac-land, or space harrier arcade, but I have to assume that they were similar to the turbo grafx pac-land and space harrier.  Although, the hardware was different, the controls were different, the size of the arcade v the TG was different, I understand that.  All I am talking about is the SOFTWARE... If someone saw space harrier/pac-land/bonk and played it in the arcade, and then realized that a Turbo Grafx had the same named game (even if it was somewhat different, ran on different hardware, etc.) it may have sold more TG16s..

I don't know much of anything about the arcade TG, but I don't think I was talking about how arcade games are made, or the hardware.  My point was just that I thought I thought NEC could have gotten a commercial advantage, by introducing gamers to games, that would be ported, or that had already been ported to the TG, by the sheer recognition of the game, name of it, and so on...
Manuals needed: Airzonk
hu: MC, PCE: Zero Wing

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 01:49:33 AM »
I was saying quite the opposite, that IF a sweet ass game was played IN the arcade it may have resulted in more NEC sales, if it were ported to the console, and more potential buyers would have been acclimated to it...  I was not talking about games from the tg moving to the arcade.

That is exactly what the following sentence intimates:

NEC could have released any game in their repertoire, or licensed it out, to be released on some kind of arcade hardware to try to sell home consoles.

As already noted, NEC wasn't an arcade game developer.  Consequently, all games in NEC/Hudson's repertoire started on a console (PC Engine, PC-88, or whatever).  That isn't to say that they couldn't have licensed other companies arcade games to make console ports, which they did numerous times for the PCE library.

My point was just that I thought I thought NEC could have gotten a commercial advantage, by introducing gamers to games, that would be ported, or that had already been ported to the TG, by the sheer recognition of the game, name of it, and so on...

You seem to have missed this, so I'll repeat myself:

So you're saying that the US library was small and weak?  Holy shit, that's genius!  Why didn't anyone else notice that before?  :lol:

It's a given that the US library sucked; not just in arcade ports but also in nearly every other category (everything but shmups, really).  The PCE, on the other hand, had many of the same ports found on the MD and SF, and not so coincidentally, it was actually competitive.

In other words, your shrewd insight is less than shrewd and not terribly insightful.  You may as well have started a thread telling us that the sky is blue.

alexsduo

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 06:50:43 PM »
So, we will have to agree to disagree.

but I will quote you, and respond to it.

necromancer: "That is exactly what the following sentence intimates:"

@ necromancer: I am not sure what lingerie has to do with anything!!!!  Please be more specific, do you mean panties, thongs or brassieres?

necromancer:  "As already noted, NEC wasn't an arcade game developer.  Consequently, all games in NEC/Hudson's repertoire started on a console (PC Engine, PC-88, or whatever).  That isn't to say that they couldn't have licensed other companies arcade games to make console ports, which they did numerous times for the PCE library."

@ necromancer:  I don't think I said that NEC was an "arcade game developer", I said they could do this, and then you agree that they (pc engine) did license games, so I am not sure what the problem is, or why you are quoting me...

necromancer: "So you're saying that the US library was small and weak?  Holy shit, that's genius!  Why didn't anyone else notice that before?  LaughingIt's a given that the US library sucked; not just in arcade ports but also in nearly every other category (everything but shmups, really).  The PCE, on the other hand, had many of the same ports found on the MD and SF, and not so coincidentally, it was actually competitive."

@ necromancer:  I never said the US [hu] library was small and weak, you did.  I think 94 or so titles is not so small (unless compared with the NES, or Super nintendo).  Yeah, some of the games are weak, but your words, not mine.  Someone else seemed to agree with my earlier point.  I was not saying that the games were so few and bad  and that is why NEC didn't take off.  I was stating that I thought NEC would have fared better if they licensed or ported [some of the weak 94 games] into the arcades, so people could recognize them [as they completely failed in terms of advertising] and I felt that the fact that people were playing the games [however shitty] would have been good advertising for them to sell games and or systems.  I don't think the games were so bad and few that no one knew about them, a huge problem was the advertising, and in my opinion, a lack of arcade games featuring turbo grafx 16 games, was also to blame. 

And just because a game is weak, does not mean that it did not sell.  ET for the 2600 sold around 1.5 million cartridges, and I can assure you it sucks.  People buy games for all kinds of reasons, whether to play, collect, gift and etc.  I understand and appreciate that the lack of advertising in general crippled the NEC TG and the games made for it, but I thought just having people play some of the games in the arcade could have helped..

necromancer:  "In other words, your shrewd insight is less than shrewd and not terribly insightful.  You may as well have started a thread telling us that the sky is blue."

@ necromancer:  If my comments are less than shrewd, and not terribly insightful, then my people can judge my comments as such, I don't see how your comments on my comments are helpful or productive. 

Well if I was to start a thread telling you the sky is blue, it would actually be the wrong forum, as this is about NEC/PC Engine hardware, software, and etc, not meteorology.  I am sure there are forums for that as well.  Also that would be a false statement.  The sky is not blue, it can be blue, it can be gray, white, red, pink, orange, or a mix of all of the above.

If you think the lack of arcade games had no effect on NEC, then say so, or argue otherwise, tell me why the lack of arcade games did not have an effect on the eventual outcome of NEC's TG...

Manuals needed: Airzonk
hu: MC, PCE: Zero Wing

lord_cack

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2010, 10:31:56 PM »
Just my brief (maybe alittle long) opinion....

I was never an arcade guy really. I grew up in the age when arcades were huge. But, those were never the games that drew me to a system. The games I played in the Arcade were those I couldn't get at home. So, maybe my point isn't valid but, I think that porting Turbo games to Arcade for the most part wouldn't have made much of a difference. Especially, since were talking about the American titles. By the time frame we are talking about (early to mid 90's) the shmup had been pretty well been pushed out of alot of arcade (atleast in my area so I suppose in a lot of other areas) by fighting games and side scrolling action titles, which the TG had very few of. Most of the titles that were released in this country would have failed I imagine in the arcade setting since they failed at home (which was because of much more than just bad games, it was poor design, piss poor marketing, and there was also the licensing issue of the early home gaming market to consider) especially when you take into consideration many of the top quality titles were released in a very short time frame (92-93) and were CD titles as well. Which brings up another issue of cost, the system as a whole (base plus CD attachment) cost a great deal considering that for a very similar product you could get just the SNES or Genesis (in the US of A that is). So I think what your are purposing would have pretty much been a failure. Because while the Genesis was certainly (originally anyway, as eventually Sonic sold this system well and they made a home to arcade port of that and it failed so its doubtful that a similar situation would have helped NEC) sold by arcade titles, the SNES's sales were pushed by original titles (Mario/Zelda/Metroid) and boosted by arcade ports (just an opinion I hold though I think it holds up well). I think Home to Arcade conversions would have failed.... 8-[ Am I babbling now  :shock:... just checking but I think I made my point.
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

rag-time4

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
I think, in regards to the Genesis, it was more about the sports games personally. 
I think that having Altered Beast as a pack-in was what got the Genesis going... Which ties to alex' point.

The TurboGrafx-16 didn't even get a port of Altered Beast.

Interestingly, it was the CD-ROM port of Fighting Street that got me interested in the Turbo, though the price was too high for my parents to buy it for me at that time.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 01:20:07 PM »
Quote from: Necromancer
Consequently, all games in NEC/Hudson's repertoire started on a console (PC Engine, PC-88, or whatever).  That isn't to say that they couldn't have licensed other companies arcade games to make console ports, which they did numerous times for the PCE library.

PC-88 is not a console!, dumbdumb!

:)

Alot of Hudson's roots also go back to the MSX

*cough* bee cards ftw *cough*

I think the point OP is trying to make is, maybe it didn't do so hot here because you couldn't go to the arcade and be like

OH MAN, BLAZING LAZERS. COOL!

or

SHIT MAN, SHOCKMAN, GIMME QUARTERS!

and then go buy the console and home version.....

you could however do that with Sega/NES games....

"ooo! TMNT!  double dragon!  Altered Beast! WOOOOO"

etc.

Around my hood at least, arcades were and still are pretty popular.

look at how they marketed atari!  Arcade action for your home :)

Asteroids, Defender, Joust, all for the home!

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Pcenginefx

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2010, 09:45:03 PM »
I think this thread needs some photos...

//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2010, 08:59:03 AM »
I think this thread needs some photos...

Wherever did you find that slice of awesomeness?