Author Topic: Game of the Week Club  (Read 5498 times)

futurematt

Re: Game of the Week Club
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2010, 12:40:10 AM »
metal stoker is such an awesome game!!!  lets do that!

That was the week before last so you missed it.

The only thing going against it is it's name which in the UK is a common professionaly abbreviation for learning disabilities.

Really? I've never heard that used. Maybe I'm just not 'street' enough.
I often see carvans with Elddis on them though.

Yes, we often say 'LDs' but sometimes you stick the "I" in to kind of make the term less impersonal...they are people after all...and the funny thing is, folk who work with people with LDs (there you go) can make good humour and jokes about it, without being offensive but the rest of us (me included) can't so I'll steer clear of making any further reference to learning disabilities. Anyway, back to games!  !
Systems: PCE white, Core Grafx, CD Rom2 / IFU30, GT, LT, Super CD Rom2. Games: Almost all the shooters and about 50 others and growing! Also into Sega Saturn and Dreamcast shooters.
For HD gaming stuff visit my You Tube channel "Ten Minute Turbo Show" at www.youtube.com/futurematt5

sunteam_paul

« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2010, 04:52:13 AM »
LEGEND OF HERO TONMA

The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

futurematt

« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2010, 08:02:51 AM »
 Legend of Hero Tonma is one of only a few games which utilises the full resolution of the PC Engine. It features at least 33% more pixels on each line, so you are getting a super widescreen game for the price of a 3:4 one. I'd like someone to verify that (see botton).

Anyway, on the game itself, you get a particularly harsh platformer which punishes - fairly I will add - the player's carelessness. Now there's only so many bullets that any crusader can fire from his hand. And in Tonma, without any power ups, that's about three. I suppose it's no different to hack em ups when your moves are on the slow side. Wonderboy in monster land is a good example. How slow the sword. Anyway, with Tonma, it is extremely easy and common to get killed when you are between firing. Those brutes creep up on you from every angle too. You really need to move around alot to avoid them. As with G&G, monsters also come out of the ground and spawn in front of you, so learning spawning points is important.

Onto the design and look - wow, I have got to admit that Tonma delivers a solid, polished performance. Action animation and framerates are impressive. Bullets and other moving parts really do leap around without any judder. I have only got up to level 2 but the graphics and scenery appear very well thought through.

Music is nice, without being brilliant. But that's only my opinion. If I were to sum this game up (which I will as I have spent the whole night on you tube instead of playing any goddam games...!) I would say..."Jeepers, get this slick platform game and don't expect it easy, Montana."

BTW I am literally just uploading a review of HuE for the PSP onto my YT channel, which features this very game. And the reason why is that on HuE's native resolution (cpu mode) you can see how many more pixels you're getting for your buck. Should be up by 4pm pacific state time.
Systems: PCE white, Core Grafx, CD Rom2 / IFU30, GT, LT, Super CD Rom2. Games: Almost all the shooters and about 50 others and growing! Also into Sega Saturn and Dreamcast shooters.
For HD gaming stuff visit my You Tube channel "Ten Minute Turbo Show" at www.youtube.com/futurematt5

runinruder

« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2010, 08:48:46 AM »
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

esteban

« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2010, 08:52:33 AM »
The Legend of Hero Tonma and Karnov (NES) are kindred spirits. They both are wonderful, somewhat quirky games, that are often dismissed as "second-" or "third-tier" titles.

I wish Tonma was more polished... but it is a decent game, nonetheless.

The funny thing is that I have developed a higher opinion of Tonma (and other titles, such as JJ & Jeff) after the 32-bit era. Back in the 8-bit/16-bit age, Tonma and JJ & Jeff were runners-up (if that) compared to their contemporaries. Now, though, having exhausted the 8-bit/16-bit libraries, I can better appreciate many games I previously considered "mediocre".

Of course, the alternative explanation is that I have lost my sense of good taste!

I don't think so, though.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 08:54:22 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

sunteam_paul

« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2010, 10:02:35 AM »
Damn, I completely didn't have time to play Tonma this week, and I was really looking forward to it. However, onwards we must go:

ENERGY

Let's not be biased to only good games in the Game of the Week Club. I challenge you all to play this and define exactly what makes it so bad.
I just felt in a hole!

sunteam_paul

« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2010, 06:42:59 AM »
My god this game is terrible. Does anyone have a clue how the power-ups (when you press select) work?
I just felt in a hole!

esteban

« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2010, 07:28:48 AM »
My god this game is terrible. Does anyone have a clue how the power-ups (when you press select) work?

I suspect runin is the only one!

|    | 

runinruder

« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2010, 12:09:27 AM »
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Tatsujin

« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2010, 02:40:39 AM »
runin has a damn easy job in this thread. he made some excellent (pre-)homework.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

ceti alpha

« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2010, 03:07:47 AM »
Wow! This game looks terrible.  :lol:

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2010, 05:16:48 AM »
Wow! This game looks terrible.  :lol:

And it plays even better.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

turbogrfxfan

« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2010, 12:28:02 PM »
ha ha Seems a little rough
"is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

blueraven

« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2010, 10:05:22 PM »
A little?!?!

It looks horrid.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2010, 10:21:47 PM »
Dang missed the Tonma.  Love that game and the eery, sad sounding music in it.

Energy!

The game is rough as hell.  I still like it.  Mostly because I like the post apocalyptic setting. I really like those kind of games.   I take it slow (you kind of have to since the games all gimped).  I get into the atmosphere.   Even if the game is rough, it sure does have a neat feel to it.

Its crummy in comparsion to alot of PCE games (Mostly all of them),and is pretty -made-in-a-garage- feeling, but I still thought it was fun.  I paid 3$ for it and included it in my order of a ton of other crap, so I pretend I never paid to ship it here.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.