Author Topic: Game of the Week Club  (Read 5519 times)

shubibiman

Re: Game of the Week Club
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2010, 10:43:22 PM »
Energy sucks in every way. Plays, looks and feels like an early bad NES game.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

ceti alpha

« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2010, 02:28:53 AM »
Dang missed the Tonma.  Love that game and the eery, sad sounding music in it.

Energy!

The game is rough as hell.  I still like it.  Mostly because I like the post apocalyptic setting. I really like those kind of games.  

Post apocalyptic, or Flint, Michigan? 

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

sunteam_paul

« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2010, 07:17:03 AM »
Give it some credit, it has got nice sampled drums.

That's the only thing nice I can think to say.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

sunteam_paul

« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2010, 06:32:52 AM »
POWER DRIFT

I just felt in a hole!

shubibiman

« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2010, 08:26:12 AM »
I loved the arcade and I kinda like this version. But it must be because of nostalgia, as it doesn't control as smoothly as it should.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

runinruder

« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2010, 08:59:08 AM »
I did some pre-homework on this one.  Power Drift review and screens (including one of the extra stage featuring the After Burner craft):

http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/search/label/Power%20Drift
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

rag-time4

« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2010, 05:52:10 PM »
Dang missed the Tonma.  Love that game and the eery, sad sounding music in it.

Energy!

The game is rough as hell.  I still like it.  Mostly because I like the post apocalyptic setting. I really like those kind of games.   I take it slow (you kind of have to since the games all gimped).  I get into the atmosphere.   Even if the game is rough, it sure does have a neat feel to it.

Its crummy in comparsion to alot of PCE games (Mostly all of them),and is pretty -made-in-a-garage- feeling, but I still thought it was fun.  I paid 3$ for it and included it in my order of a ton of other crap, so I pretend I never paid to ship it here.
$3 bucks with free shipping isn't bad.

esteban

« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2010, 06:30:44 PM »
I did some pre-homework on this one.  Power Drift review and screens (including one of the extra stage featuring the After Burner craft):

http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/search/label/Power%20Drift

I was curious, so I had to peek at your review...

Claim first place in every race and you'll gain access to an extra stage in which you'll pilot the After Burner craft.

Hot damn! That's neat. I want to pick up this HuCard now.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 06:32:36 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

exodus

« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2010, 07:18:11 AM »
I played it for a bit yesterday, and confirmed the fact that I don't really like most sprite-based racing games. There's one that maybe Jaleco made that's really awesome, but largely they just make me confused about where the other cars are and what I'm meant to be doing. Power Drift for PCE is no exception. The high gear/low gear thing is cool, but it's not enough to keep me excited about the game, I'm afraid. I do like the wacky character names though, as well as the fact you're basically racing on logs.

exodus

« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2010, 07:18:24 AM »
and the guy on the cover looks like zangeif.

futurematt

« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2010, 04:48:04 AM »
Thank goodness real roads are nothing like the spewing, unpredictable spagetti on this game; it's kind of cool, pimping it round the track, but you never feel totally like you're in control of the buggy. Still prefer it to Mario Kart though (unpopularity comment #1!!!).
Systems: PCE white, Core Grafx, CD Rom2 / IFU30, GT, LT, Super CD Rom2. Games: Almost all the shooters and about 50 others and growing! Also into Sega Saturn and Dreamcast shooters.
For HD gaming stuff visit my You Tube channel "Ten Minute Turbo Show" at www.youtube.com/futurematt5

sunteam_paul

« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2010, 08:08:30 AM »
Damn it all, despite the jerky graphics, scratchy samples, iffy handling and unfair collision, Power Drift gets points in my book for several reasons.

1. The music to Power Drift is excellent. The tunes are classic Sega. The PC Engine version might not have the best sound, but it shouts the tunes out at you as you play and manages to meld all the themes together into one glorious long melody. Combined with the admittedly ropey speech and effects, it does provide the kind of wall of sound that enhances the game.

2. It makes my fingers hurt. After playing you KNOW you have played. I really concentrate while playing, pushing hard on the buttons and getting into the Power Drift zone to get past that one last car. To be sure, you will not fall asleep while playing Power Drift, unlike some other games I could mention.

3. It CAN be fun. Look past all the crap. It doesn't take long to get a feel for it. It is different to every other racer out there and when you are really into it, it is fun.

4. Sega didn't have the balls to convert it. No Power Drift on the Mega Drive, oh no. Credit where it is due, Asmik had a pair of big brass ones to think they could convert such an advanced arcade game to the PC Engine. They nearly succeeded. Just imagine if Hudson had tried it.

It's easy to dump on Power Drift, and it deserves some of it, but certainly not all.
I just felt in a hole!

nat

« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2010, 01:44:09 PM »
I have the "arcade" version for Dreamcast, and it demolishes the NEC version in so many ways I can't really play it without feeling like a dipshit for wasting my time. That's just my humble opinion, however....

esteban

« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2010, 03:07:52 PM »
I have the "arcade" version for Dreamcast, and it demolishes the NEC version in so many ways I can't really play it without feeling like a dipshit for wasting my time. That's just my humble opinion, however....

So, I should pick up the Dreamcast version?

Also, you're no dipstick! Chin up!

|    | 

nat

« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2010, 12:01:18 PM »
If you have a Dreamcast, track down a copy of "Yu Suzuki GameWorks Vol. 1"

It usually comes with a book, although it's possible to find just the collection disc if you're patient and you'll usually save some money that way. The collection includes the arcade versions of Space Harrier, Outrun, Afterburner II, Power Drift and Hang On. In my opinion, an obligatory purchase for Dreamcast owners who are fans of vintage 16-bit SEGA.