Author Topic: Game of the Week Club  (Read 5533 times)

Tatsujin

Re: Game of the Week Club
« Reply #135 on: April 05, 2010, 06:53:54 PM »
do you just judge the colors and crisp factor by emulation pics or actually by real hardware? i had few irem PCBs at home back in days, and they looking quite different in real than on those emulation pix you will find on the net.

as for the crispiness, I know what you mean, but believe me it looks much different on the real deal. it gives that typical arcade smoothed picture.
the pce looks great, out of any question, but compared it has no chance.

beside the real strongness of the arcade lies in the graphic details. there is so much more in the arcade to look at. animations, the van is moving, the dirtiness in the car dump etc.parallax.

and actually i like the irems FM music. not the best, but typically irem moody.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #136 on: April 05, 2010, 07:18:27 PM »
nah ive played the actual standup arcade one before a buncha times.   The colors seem chunky to me.  They may have more color to them, but they dont seem to have the same kind of contrast as the PCE one.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Tatsujin

« Reply #137 on: April 05, 2010, 07:35:14 PM »
ok, so taste and opinions do differ sometimes :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #138 on: April 05, 2010, 07:48:46 PM »
ok, so taste and opinions do differ sometimes :)

yep.  I like China Warrior and Hydlide, :)

futurematt

« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2010, 01:06:19 AM »
I was disappointed with Vigilante back in the day (TG-16 launch), because I wanted more depth/length/something. Remember, I also was disappointed with JJ & Jeff.

Now, however, over the years, I have become much more appreciative of Vigilante (and JJ & Jeff).

* Vigilante does have great music that fits the mood of the game perfectly.
* The bosses are unique, and, if you take the time, you can find a different strategy to beat each one.
* I really like the "pastel grittiness" that Vigilante pulls off--it seems like a paradox, but Vigilante's aesthetics are wonderfully rendered (even the thick, black outlines around the sprites don't turn me off). Pastel+Grit=Vigilante.
* THE JAPANESE COVER ART IS ONE OF THE BEST WORKS OF ART. PERIOD. Search the forums for my rantings and ravings on this.
* We never really care about the story in these games, but I think Vigilante does a decent job of "The Princess is in another castle!" and stringing us along. I wish there were some brief cinemas between each stage--the story would be so much more compelling!
* For KUNG FU gameplay, Vigilante is much more fun and enjoyable than, say, KAZE KIRI, which fails to satisfy basic gameplay needs (I feel good when I smash someone in Vigilante, it seems worthwhile and meaningful, there is a visceral feeling--KAZE KIRI lacks all of these qualities).
* FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT USE TURBO SWITCHES WHEN PLAYING VIGILANTE.
* I REPEAT, DO NOT USE AUTO FIRE, YOU HEATHENS. YOU BASTARDS.
* If you do use turbo switches, you're totally stripping all the fun from Vigilante. The game was totally designed to have a "flow" and "rhythm", and in order to do this, you must push the button at variable speeds. This is most evident with the nunchuks! Again, search the forums for my rantings and ravings on Vigilante. Monster Lair, for example, should never be played with auto fire.
* I LOVE ALL THE REFERENCES TO IREM GAMES ON THE BILLBOARDS. MR. HELI!
* STRANGLING! Why don't more games have opponents who attempt to strangle you??!!

Brilliant review, couldn't have put it better myself! Agree wither every point you made.
First look at Vigilante was in the now infamous PC Engine preview in Computer and Video Games (C&VG) in the UK in 1988. The game jumped out and said "buy this system and everything it stands for". Well 20 years on and I have. Almost, well, not quite....no, really hardly at all if I think about it. Anyway it was the beginning of a hobby, an addiction, a lifestyle, that has, well, stood the test of time! Agree that in some ways it outstrips the arcade version. Something in that about the chunky fluid sprites. A long discussion is probably worth having in the future about why chunky graphics are more aesthetically pleasing that high res muckily rendered ones. Oh, I think I have answered that one. Boss game.
Systems: PCE white, Core Grafx, CD Rom2 / IFU30, GT, LT, Super CD Rom2. Games: Almost all the shooters and about 50 others and growing! Also into Sega Saturn and Dreamcast shooters.
For HD gaming stuff visit my You Tube channel "Ten Minute Turbo Show" at www.youtube.com/futurematt5

Emerald Rocker

« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2010, 03:11:13 PM »
Since Sunteam Raul is running late, I'm taking it upon myself to keep this thread running so that it doesn't just disappear while he's out bedding hookers.  At least, that's what I imagine he's doing, because that's a manly thing to do.

This week's game is Axelay.  More specifically, that famous first level SuperGrafx demo of Axelay.  I don't have a SuperGrafx, so I haven't played it, but it looked kind of cool.

LET'S GET GAMING
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

shubibiman

« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2010, 09:30:33 PM »
I've played it on real hardware thanks to my flash card and, what to say? it's just AMAZING. I wish Chris could adapt the whole game. Let's take a vote.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

sunteam_paul

« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2010, 09:30:39 PM »
Since Sunteam Raul is running late, I'm taking it upon myself to keep this thread running so that it doesn't just disappear while he's out bedding hookers.  At least, that's what I imagine he's doing, because that's a manly thing to do.

This week's game is Axelay.  More specifically, that famous first level SuperGrafx demo of Axelay.  I don't have a SuperGrafx, so I haven't played it, but it looked kind of cool.

LET'S GET GAMING

Sorry I'm late, but the hookers had me handcuffed to the bed and lost the key.

ALDYNES

The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Tatsujin

« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2010, 10:20:15 PM »
a good game. wonder of how much in here have played it :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net

shubibiman

« Reply #144 on: April 09, 2010, 10:24:56 PM »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 10:28:07 PM by shubibiman »

Tatsujin

« Reply #145 on: April 09, 2010, 10:41:55 PM »
:pece änschin:
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #146 on: April 10, 2010, 12:13:17 AM »
every time I play alydnes, I feel like I am one with the universe.

There is not a single thing wrong with the game.  No flaws.  Great tunes, great gameplay, great graphics, killer theme!

hot damn its awesome.

esteban

« Reply #147 on: April 10, 2010, 12:16:34 AM »
IIRC (it has been several years): I could never figure out how to kill the last boss in Aldynes. At least, I assume it is the last boss (two metal prongs at top and bottom of screen shoot lazers, a "grey" orb lodged between them).

It was insanely difficult to dodge these laser beams, but I was able to get pretty good at it. Talk about twitch dodging!

Alas, I never identified the Achilles Heel of the last boss, especially because I never knew if any of my shots were registering as hits on the boss (no audio/visual indicators).

:pece änschin:

peeshee ennnjin
  |    | 

shubibiman

« Reply #148 on: April 10, 2010, 12:18:28 AM »
The only flaw with Aldynes is that it was released on the Supergrafx so it didn't get all the success and fame that it deserved. When videogamers talk about classic shooters, they would refer to Thunderforce 3/4 but never to Aldynes. It's time to let the world know!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #149 on: April 10, 2010, 12:45:49 AM »
ITS NOT A FLAW! ITS A FEATURE!

:D