Author Topic: Game of the Week Club  (Read 5539 times)

runinruder

Re: Game of the Week Club
« Reply #195 on: May 02, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

shubibiman

« Reply #196 on: May 02, 2010, 10:31:35 AM »
If you find that your car "jumps randomly," you're not using the controls properly.

Yeah, right. So what am I supposed to do in order to avoid jumping randomly?  :-k
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

runinruder

« Reply #197 on: May 02, 2010, 10:55:09 AM »
If you find that your car "jumps randomly," you're not using the controls properly.

Yeah, right. So what am I supposed to do in order to avoid jumping randomly?  :-k

The car doesn't "jump randomly."  You make it jump by pressing button I while you're going over 200 km/h.  When you're driving under 200 km/h, button I is a turbo boost.  All you have to do to accelerate is press Up on the D-pad. 

shubibiman

« Reply #198 on: May 02, 2010, 07:14:46 PM »
Ok, I should have read the booklet before playing the game  #-o

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #199 on: May 03, 2010, 05:36:35 AM »
I recognition of me smashing into the side of a taxi on Thursday.....

Did you die?

Knight Rider ain't all that bad.  It's about as close as it gets to Road Blasters (one of my personal arcade favorites) on the PCE.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

sunteam_paul

« Reply #200 on: May 03, 2010, 08:42:32 AM »
I recognition of me smashing into the side of a taxi on Thursday.....

Did you die?

I'm not sure, but my hand keeps slipping through my mouse. Is that a good sign?
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #201 on: May 03, 2010, 08:48:06 AM »
I'm not sure, but my hand keeps slipping through my mouse. Is that a good sign?

Not good, not good at all.  :lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

sunteam_paul

« Reply #202 on: May 07, 2010, 07:23:20 AM »
JIGOKU MEGURI

The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

esteban

« Reply #203 on: May 08, 2010, 02:18:22 AM »
I have JIGOKU MEGURI, yet I have to urge to continue playing Rayxanber II instead. Hmmmmmmmm....

|    | 

runinruder

« Reply #204 on: May 08, 2010, 04:12:39 PM »
I have JIGOKU MEGURI, yet I have to urge to continue playing Rayxanber II instead. Hmmmmmmmm....

Great idea.  Rayxanber II review and screens:

http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/search/label/Rayxanber%20II

Emerald Rocker

« Reply #205 on: May 08, 2010, 04:31:08 PM »
Here is what GUTS said about Rayxanber 2 back on August 24, 2003:

DAY ONE (August 24, 2003)
-----------
Played the first couple of levels last night, and so far it's alright. The graphics are definitely pretty tight for a regular CD game, but there's no intro cinemas so that was a letdown. There's plenty of parallax scrolling (even in the foreground on stage 1), the enemies range from your size up to freakin huge, and they all explode really nicely. The bosses (the two I've seen) are HUGE and take up most of the screen. Through all this there's barely any flickering or slowdown, if any. Now about the meat of the game...

There are no speed power ups, so you're stuck moving at a medium pace, which isn't bad when you're powered up, but when it's just you and your pea shooter it sucks. And about the powerups, all TWO of them. So far I've only encountered a wide shot thing, and a more powerful fire shot. Neither can be upgraded more than once, which I suppose could be seen as bonus since you'll be dying a lot. When powerups appear they rotate clockwise, and whichever direction its facing when you snag it is the direction your secondary weapons will fire.

Hitting the B button will give your ship a split second speed boost in whatever direction you're holding, but if you use it too much it overheats and has to cool down before you can use it again. This is pretty useful for getting behind enemies or dodging bullets, its just tough to remember its there, it'll take some getting used to. I haven't been able to destroy any enemies with the thrusters that fire when you use this, but maybe I just haven't been close enough.

Things I dont like about it- R-Type style checkpoint system when you die, no cinemas (at least so far), slow ship speed, and your main gun never gets any more powerful (it always a pea shooter). Mainly the checkpoint system is the only thing that really bugs me, everything else I can deal with easily.

Overall I feel it's a pretty solid game, but nothing really sets it apart from all the other shooters out there, but this may change once I get good enough to beat a couple more stages. I can see this game really giving you a sense of accomplishment if you beat it since it's all about skill, no BOMBS or invincible options to absorb enemy fire.
DAY TWO (August 25, 2003)
-------------
Ok well I'm pretty much done then, the game is just too damn hard and not fun enough to make all the practice worthwhile. Checkpoints really suck.
DAY THREE (August 26, 2003)
-------------
I have better things to do than waste all my time practicing a game that isn't much fun to begin with. Like play HALO JIGGA YEAH.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

shubibiman

« Reply #206 on: May 09, 2010, 01:24:14 AM »
Jigoku Megrui is just too hard for me. But it's a good game.

esteban

« Reply #207 on: May 09, 2010, 05:14:10 PM »
Here is what GUTS said about Rayxanber 2 back on August 24, 2003:

DAY ONE (August 24, 2003)
-----------
Played the first couple of levels last night, and so far it's alright. The graphics are definitely pretty tight for a regular CD game, but there's no intro cinemas so that was a letdown. There's plenty of parallax scrolling (even in the foreground on stage 1), the enemies range from your size up to freakin huge, and they all explode really nicely. The bosses (the two I've seen) are HUGE and take up most of the screen. Through all this there's barely any flickering or slowdown, if any. Now about the meat of the game...

DAY TWO (August 25, 2003)
-------------
Ok well I'm pretty much done then, the game is just too damn hard and not fun enough to make all the practice worthwhile. Checkpoints really suck.
DAY THREE (August 26, 2003)
-------------
I have better things to do than waste all my time practicing a game that isn't much fun to begin with. Like play HALO JIGGA YEAH.

Yeah, I remember that. NO JOKE! But it didn't concern me, since I'm in the minority (I don't mind the conventions of old-skool shooters, yes, that's right, they're shooters). "Shoot-em-ups"? Bah humbug!

|    | 

Keranu

« Reply #208 on: May 09, 2010, 05:18:50 PM »
(I don't mind the conventions of old-skool shooters, yes, that's right, they're shooters). "Shoot-em-ups"? Bah humbug!
Yes someone agrees with me! None of this "shmup" crap either. Internet memes suck.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #209 on: May 09, 2010, 05:33:52 PM »
(I don't mind the conventions of old-skool shooters, yes, that's right, they're shooters). "Shoot-em-ups"? Bah humbug!
Yes someone agrees with me! None of this "shmup" crap either. Internet memes suck.

:)

The sad thing is that I have used the term "shoot-em-up" so folks didn't think I was saying FPS.

Word up, by the way.
  |    |