Author Topic: Game of the Week Club  (Read 5521 times)

sunteam_paul

Re: Game of the Week Club
« Reply #240 on: June 11, 2010, 06:09:47 AM »
WINDS OF THUNDER

The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Gogan

« Reply #241 on: June 11, 2010, 06:58:07 AM »
There's nothing to say about this game.
Its friggin awesome, and that's it. :D
Nothin beats the real thing.

turbogrfxfan

« Reply #242 on: June 15, 2010, 01:27:48 PM »
man I love the crap out of this game...  Prolly some of the best music on the system.....  the bass guitar is frikkin awesomee....  games alot of fun.  I like it better than lords cause of the female merchants voice.  I still gotta finish the last stage..  just gotta spend more time..  I got some pointers from you guys but I forget.
"is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #243 on: June 16, 2010, 02:38:52 AM »
Just an awesome title with beautiful and varied backgrounds, sweet tunes, a plethora of different enemies, and kickass bosses (particularly the armored unicorn thing).  The only thing that might be a bit of a let down for some people is the difficulty level, but it doesn't bother me; I suck and can use a break sometimes.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Tatsujin

« Reply #244 on: June 16, 2010, 04:14:51 AM »
There's nothing to say about this game.
Its friggin awesome, and that's it. :D

QFT!

in every possible criteria a 10 (out of 10)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

ceti alpha

« Reply #245 on: June 16, 2010, 04:54:58 AM »
When I saw this game in Radio Shack bitd it was like seeing the arcade on a console.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

lord_cack

« Reply #246 on: June 16, 2010, 02:26:34 PM »
This game, along with Dungeon Explorer II, were the last two games I bought new in the store before they stopped selling Turbo games in my area. I can't recall a better purchase than these two games....
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

lord_cack

« Reply #247 on: June 16, 2010, 02:29:45 PM »
This game, along with Dungeon Explorer II, were the last two games I bought new in the store before they stopped selling Turbo games in my area. I can't recall a better purchase than these two games....

Well, outside of my Duo itself that is hehe
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

Otaking

« Reply #248 on: June 16, 2010, 09:47:38 PM »
Winds of Thunder is my favourite game of all time bar none.

futurematt

« Reply #249 on: June 17, 2010, 01:19:50 AM »
Winds of Thunder pretty much does it all. For a H-shooter - and I generally prefer V-shooters - it combines stunning visuals with perfect difficulty, amazing sound, allround superb atmosphere and provides I think one of the ultimate shmup experiences on any console. You can't get much better than that. The collusion of sound and action works particularly well here, creating a sparkly, mystical feel to the game, which works as well as in Spriggan or Sylphia.
I think this is a game worth preserving so I don't overplay it - I stick to the original disk as opposed to the easy CDR for instance. I included it in my video Gold PC Engine shooters on my YT channel. Great game of the week.
Systems: PCE white, Core Grafx, CD Rom2 / IFU30, GT, LT, Super CD Rom2. Games: Almost all the shooters and about 50 others and growing! Also into Sega Saturn and Dreamcast shooters.
For HD gaming stuff visit my You Tube channel "Ten Minute Turbo Show" at www.youtube.com/futurematt5

TheClash603

« Reply #250 on: June 17, 2010, 12:37:40 PM »
Well...  I guess there has to be one...

Lords of Thunder is a pretty good game.  Music is undeniably awesome, and the control is pretty tight.  I think the difficulty is spot on, and the speed seems right.

With that said, I do not think it is one of the elite shmups on the system.  I find myself reaching for Air Zonk, Aero Blasters, or Gates of Thunder way before I would consider Lords of Thunder.  Something about the character design of this game kinda rubs me the wrong way to be honest with you.  I almost think this game feels better as a Sega CD game than a Turbo game...

termis

« Reply #251 on: June 17, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
Graphics are awesome with varied scenery, enemies are cool -- especially the bosses.  The power-ups are pretty intense, and the music was bar-none the class above the rest at the time (and still now IMO).

For me, arguably the best shooter for the PCE library.

I almost think this game feels better as a Sega CD game than a Turbo game...

You're definitely in the minority there I think.  Graphically, the PCE version is better for sure, and the music arrangement is a preference, but for me, the softened up rearrangement of the Sega CD version isn't as fitting as raw & edgy PCE track equivalents.

Tatsujin

« Reply #252 on: June 17, 2010, 05:15:06 PM »
I think the same way as termis, exept the fact that for me, it isn't the best shooter for the PCE library. but a damn close one for sure.

I do not know of what could have been done much better in this product. it's an allround perfect game, hence nothing less than an elite shmup.

the Mega CD comparison flawes as well. this game is the pure epitome of PCE shmups! period!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

sunteam_paul

« Reply #253 on: June 18, 2010, 10:36:28 PM »
GOMOLA SPEED

The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

shubibiman

« Reply #254 on: June 18, 2010, 11:02:54 PM »
A funny game that I cleared back in the time when I bought it. I like the musics, they have a strange feel but sound good.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion