Author Topic: Need a CD unit, 1 or 2  (Read 202 times)

milkmanv1

Need a CD unit, 1 or 2
« on: February 20, 2010, 07:47:11 AM »
Ok guys, heres the quick lowdown, I'm gonna be snagging a supergrafx from nemo, and I realized I STILL don't have a CD unit, I've been wanting to pickup Chou Aniki but My US turbo duo needs Caps replaced (the sound is getting farty) and that can hold off if I can just snag a CD unit. I'd prefer the original setup for my coregrafx..But since I'm getting a supergrafx, the CD rom 2 is A-OK as well.

SignOfZeta

Re: Need a CD unit, 1 or 2
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 06:21:16 PM »
They are all CDROM2s, I think you are talking about the original IFU/CDROM2 versus the SuperCDROM2.

The original (white) unit is fragile, the Super is more expensive. I guess if you have a SGX and you don't mind all the real estate the SGX+SuperCD combo takes up, I'd recommend getting the Super CDROM. The original white unites are dropping like flies and nobody has found a replacement for the gear in them that breaks.

offsidewing

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 12:58:45 PM »
This might be a good way to get your Super CD'ing on...

http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-Engine-SUPER-CD-ROM-Console-CORE-GRA-2-FREE-SHIP0457_W0QQitemZ360233265653QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53df9369f5

They're offering free EMS shipping and 'make an offer.'  I just bought a few odds and ends from 'Hit Japan' and they accepted all my best offers at 50% off pretty much instantly.  Way, way, back in the day I was rocking a Super Grafx/Super CD combo and it was awesome, while it commanded it's own zip code due to the space it hogs in an entertainment center.  Still a pimpalicious set up if you ask me.  I also love the mystery expansion port on the bottom of the SCD unit.

milkmanv1

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 01:06:36 PM »
I might be able to snag a deal on a regular CD rom unit. I'll let you guys know how it pans out.