Author Topic: It's MML time.  (Read 3167 times)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: It's MML time.
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2010, 10:58:26 PM »
Yes you'll see there that each converter added its own unique style format.... mostly just a buncha useless crap that sections off each "channel" or section, and once you are familiar with MML you will notice what is actually MML and what is just a bunch of junk you don't need to worry about. :D   The not-needed stuff, is mostly just specifics to THAT converter and possibly player (3MLE for example.... goes with the Mabinogi game which uses MML files)

They are all pretty much what you would need.  You just have to yank out the MML data itself.

Tinymm would just require you to take whats between the (ch1=======) and place in .channel section of a squirrel file.

The same goes for 3MLE MabiMML.  just grab what is between the [channel ] markers, and ignore the /* M */ stuff, and anything else that begins with a /.  Those are just comments in that editor that mark off each measure of the song, and important bits of info for THAT player only.

don't use that thread one. its far too much work to copy and is a mess.

and the 3ML3 Mabinogi one too....

if this isn't clear to you still, please let me know and I will help more!

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

hcf

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2010, 11:25:56 PM »
Thank you! I will try TinyMM and 3MLE with MabiMML style again, and I will report my results.

It's curious: I found this 3MLE program, but I didn't know that Mabinogi was in fact a game  :mrgreen:

hcf

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2010, 04:25:33 AM »
I have tested both methods, and the results are a bit discouraging. They DO work indeed (both TinyMM and 3MLE with MabiMML style) but as you said, there is a lot of crap that we must remove (Squirrel dislikes it). After removing all that stuff and replacing the CHANNEL sections, the MML compiles and in fact the game PLAYS music!!! But it is not well synchronized (the tempo is not good, and the voices are not synchronized one with the others). Maybe all that crap is not entirely unusefull  :mrgreen:

For example, I see that there are some characters like ^ or ~ that generate errors. I must try it a bit more, because maybe there is a way to work if we guess the equivalence between this MML styles and the standard one from Squirrel...  :D

TheOldMan

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2010, 05:10:00 AM »
hcf. Going by what you posted earlier, yeah, you do need to change some stuff. the ^ is actually a tie, so something like c4^16 needs to be changed to c4&c16. note that you have to put the note name in for squirrel. I didn't see any ~'s, so I have no idea what they mean...possibly a slur?

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2010, 05:31:39 AM »
I have tested both methods, and the results are a bit discouraging. They DO work indeed (both TinyMM and 3MLE with MabiMML style) but as you said, there is a lot of crap that we must remove (Squirrel dislikes it). After removing all that stuff and replacing the CHANNEL sections, the MML compiles and in fact the game PLAYS music!!! But it is not well synchronized (the tempo is not good, and the voices are not synchronized one with the others). Maybe all that crap is not entirely unusefull  :mrgreen:

For example, I see that there are some characters like ^ or ~ that generate errors. I must try it a bit more, because maybe there is a way to work if we guess the equivalence between this MML styles and the standard one from Squirrel...  :D

strange.
~ and ^ are not normal.   We use ^ with squirrel for some of the PCE specific commands.  If something is using it for a note-tie, that is wrong. :(

if you would like, post the squirrel file you are trying to compile and play here, and we can see whats up!

I'm sure its just a few hiccups that come with learning a new language, and also with converting and pulling the data out of a different converter.

Though, the out of sync issues may also (and are probably) caused by stray characters that are not supposed to be in the file.  The compiler will ignore them, but in the process may ignore things you actually need as well (if they are after the ignored character with no spaces), depending where the incorrect characters are at.

generally, if the compiler mentions any errors about ignoring characters, it is best to locate and fix all of these problems before you test the song out, or it will probably be incorrect!

hcf

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2010, 10:09:34 PM »
Please, don't misunderstand my words in my other post: Squirrel works greatly, in fact I have compiled some of your samples and the sound is impressive!!

Obviously, the errors appear when I try to convert MID files to MML, because as you said, all the converters add special characters which are not standard, so Squirrel doesn't know what to do with that stuff. But this is not a fail of Squirrel at all!!

I am going to do several tests with some MID files, and I will try to remove all the special characters. Then, I will post here my results. And maybe, then I will need your advice :)

Thanks again!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2010, 10:20:42 PM »
Please, don't misunderstand my words in my other post: Squirrel works greatly, in fact I have compiled some of your samples and the sound is impressive!!
Oh! no worries!  I was commenting on the converters themselves, not anything you said! :)

I am going to do several tests with some MID files, and I will try to remove all the special characters. Then, I will post here my results. And maybe, then I will need your advice :)

Thanks again!

Good luck, and thank you for your kind words thus far regarding squirrel!  :)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2010, 10:48:31 PM »
Also, I can't release the .mml file of this tune quite yet.  I'm saving that for after the local show by me..

until then, here is an MP3 of it, for your listening pleasure!
http://www.aetherbyte.com/downloadables/Aetherbyte.mp3

its like the one from before, only better.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2010, 05:26:32 AM »
neato burrito.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

touko

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2010, 06:06:08 AM »
Also, I can't release the .mml file of this tune quite yet.  I'm saving that for after the local show by me..

until then, here is an MP3 of it, for your listening pleasure!
http://www.aetherbyte.com/downloadables/Aetherbyte.mp3

its like the one from before, only better.

WOW, incredible !!!
arkhan signing the best music library for homebrews ...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 07:27:06 AM by touko »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2010, 09:41:13 PM »
:D

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2010, 10:55:44 AM »
Ohhhhh shit! Somebody get this dude a record deal

Sounds like shooter music to me

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2010, 11:48:19 AM »

what music? lol the one i posted?

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2010, 12:15:04 PM »

what music? lol the one i posted?

Yeah your newest one

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2010, 01:11:49 PM »
why thank you. :)

It was all done with Squirrel, obviously!

Proof that you can do pretty elaborate stuff.  Volume fades, arps, vibrato, and all that :)

its a pretty clean looking MML file too.  Makes heavy use of macros so its more organized.