Author Topic: Am I screwed? *rant on my "Junk"* CDROM2 Related  (Read 239 times)

milkmanv1

Am I screwed? *rant on my "Junk"* CDROM2 Related
« on: March 16, 2010, 02:54:32 PM »
Ok dudes, I finally found some good deals (of course, thats why they don't work) on the briefcase unit, and CD rom drive I wanted! I got the interface unit with a white PC engine, the PCE works fine, however the interface unit doesn't even power on!!! I never tested it untill today when I got my CDROM2, which was a hassle in itself to get. Well I get it and thats when I found out the interface unit didn't even work. I figured I could test out the CDROM2 without the interface unit, by popping in a cd. I got ABSOLUTELY nothing. Then I opened it up and poked at the Spindle, then I got the Humming sound of the motor running. Still no disk spinning, lukemorse1's video lead me to look at the middle gear, which looked PERFECT, and was intact, however under closer inspection there was a tooth missing. I tried to slide it off, and with almost no pressure at all the gear split in half.

So, now like everyone else, I need to know if there is a fix for this dreaded problem!?!?!?

kattare

Re: Am I screwed? *rant on my "Junk"* CDROM2 Related
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 12:37:42 PM »
Looks like you have two problems:

(1) No power on the interface unit

Is the AC Adapter an original unit?  Can you test it with a meter to see if it's still functional?  Seems like last time I messed around with an interface unit, I had to make a custom adapter to power it.  I do have two interface units here tho, and only need one for my collection.  If yours is dead I'd be willing to work out a trade for one of mine.  Ex: I'd ship you my unit in exchange for $10 + $11 shipping + your broken unit?

If it turns out it's the AC Adapter you need, you can go the radio shack route, or I could make you one for ~$25 shipped.

(2) A broken "golden" gear.

Only real fix for this that I know of is to track down a NEC CDR-35D for about $50 and swap the guts.

I've also had some success swapping in an entire KSS-220 laser + mechanism, but that was $30 parts and ~6 hrs labor.  heh.  I had to move a bunch of caps around on the original board to make room, etc.

Cheers.

Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.