Author Topic: Your ethnicity  (Read 1904 times)

rolins

Your ethnicity
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2005, 03:17:44 PM »
Quote from: "stevek666"

1. After a really yummy dinner, my mom makes some popcorn and serves it. I guess we wanted something to snack on, but that was light. The Swiss folk are loving the popcorn. Totally intrigued by it, in fact. They keep asking, "What is this?" By the time we managed to explain that it was popped corn, they have eaten handfuls of the stuff.

"Corn?"
"Yeah, popped corn."
"Oh." Eating stops.
"Don't you want any more?"
"No, that's OK."

It turned out that they considered corn to be "pig's food" (as in, pig on a farm") and they never ate the stuff. What??? Anyway, they really were turned off to it, just by finding out it was corn.

I know, how could they be anti-corn?  I didn't think of it at the time, but if I were evil I would have given them snacks made from corn meal

You're not only one. I encounter the same situation when I invited my neighbor's grandfather to our BBQ party 7 years ago. He just arrived from China and it was his first time in America. I offered him some corn and he declined. I found it odd and disrespectful. I thought everyone loves corn.

"Why are you giving me pig food?"
"huh...Pig food? I'm sorry you don't like corn?"
"Corn is used to feed pigs."
"We'll here in the U.S. corn isn't for pigs. It tastes very good. Please try it."
[cheww....cheww....chew]
"This is corn?! This is good."

I loved the expression on his face after he bit into that corn. I like that old man. The jokes he said at party are funny as hell, and damn he sure can eat a lot of BBQ chicken and sirloin steak.

Michael Helgeson

Your ethnicity
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2005, 05:35:39 PM »
Im mixed,German,Norwegian,and Irish.
White.Whatever indian we have in my family tree has all but thinned out to nothingness over the past 300 years.

MotherGunner

Your ethnicity
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2005, 07:45:42 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
Nice to see this thread back because I am interested as well.

Ninja Spirit, you say you know Hispanic PCE gamers? I'm not sure if I know any, but most PCE gamers seem to be white and Asian (specifically Japanese).

One thing I have always been curious about is the large fanbase of PCE fans in France. I mean the system was never even released out there, so what is it exactly that attracted them to importing a PC Engine? Rather odd, I'd say.

Wrong!  I am Latino!  From El Salvador.  Now living in CA.

Im also a US Army Veteran,  3rd Infantry Division
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Kaminari

Your ethnicity
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2005, 06:32:16 AM »
Yum, caramel popcorn!

Steve, I'm rather surprised your Swiss relatives never ate popcorn though. The problem with American food is that it's so widespread you'd think every culture has embraced it! In some parts of the world, food can be a cause of diplomatic incidents. If I were to offer you a plate of frogs or snails and you were to throw up on it, I might be very upset ;)

[Note: that was just a fictitious example. I hate frogs and snails. But I heard the Japanese love turtles.]

Well, it might be disconcerting to be offered popcorn at the end of a meal (I'd rather gobble up a bowl of the thing watching a movie), but I find nothing really unusual here -- unless it was raw corn you were talking about? Now I could understand the reaction...

Keranu

Your ethnicity
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2005, 06:04:21 PM »
My brother had frog legs once and said they were nasty. I have a very interesting taste in food, I might actually like them myself. However when it comes to food, nothing beats a Chicago-style deep dish pizza with spinach. (although you shouldn't even have to say spinach because that's a tradition!)
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

TR0N

Your ethnicity
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2005, 07:30:49 PM »
White my ancestors were german.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

TR0N

Your ethnicity
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2005, 07:35:08 PM »
Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"
Man that reminded me during the Sega Saturn days when Electronics Botique here in the USA were selling Saturn imports, particularly anything from Konami, Capcom and SNK.

That  reminded me when, Babbages did the same sell Saturn imports.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

esteban

Your ethnicity
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2005, 07:51:24 PM »
Quote from: "Kaminari"
Yum, caramel popcorn!

Steve, I'm rather surprised your Swiss relatives never ate popcorn though. The problem with American food is that it's so widespread you'd think every culture has embraced it! In some parts of the world, food can be a cause of diplomatic incidents. If I were to offer you a plate of frogs or snails and you were to throw up on it, I might be very upset ;)

[Note: that was just a fictitious example. I hate frogs and snails. But I heard the Japanese love turtles.]

Well, it might be disconcerting to be offered popcorn at the end of a meal (I'd rather gobble up a bowl of the thing watching a movie), but I find nothing really unusual here -- unless it was raw corn you were talking about? Now I could understand the reaction...
Yeah, I think my relatives lived in a rural area... but they didn't strike me as country bumpkins, by any means. But, no, they thought popped corn was wacky.

Anyway, here's a new question for you folks: Do you celebrate Halloween? All Saints day? All souls day?

We recently celebrated Halloween here in the States and it occurred to me that only certain regions might celebrate this. Hmmmm....  like parts of France, maybe, and parts of the UK (Ireland), maybe?
  |    | 

mamonohunter

Your ethnicity
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2005, 12:45:06 AM »
In Sweden we imported Halloween some years ago. We celebrate it with decorations, candy begging, mischief, horrormovies and parties! Its very fun ^^

Kaminari

Your ethnicity
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2005, 02:32:01 AM »
Quote from: "stevek666"
Do you celebrate Halloween? All Saints day? All souls day?

All Saints Day on the 1st, and Souls Day the 2nd -- though nowadays, people usually mourn the dead on the 1st and just forget about the saints.

Halloween gained some marketing grounds a few years ago when it was freshly "imported" in France, but it seems the interest has been on the wane lately. In Brittany however, we traditionally celebrate the Samain (Irish Samhain), despite the efforts of the Church to turn this folklore festival into a Catholic experience.

GUTS

Your ethnicity
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2005, 06:06:24 AM »
I personally can't stand Halloween here in the states; it was awesome as hell when I was a kid (who doesn't remember dressing up as a bum at the last minute because you didn't have a costume?) but now that I'm an adult it's just an excuse for people to dress up like dipshits and get drunk.

Keranu

Your ethnicity
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2005, 12:41:50 PM »
I've never liked Halloween, even when I was a kid. I stayed away from Trick-or-Treating.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

doomfarer75

Your ethnicity
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2005, 03:22:09 PM »
Wrong!  I am Latino!  From El Salvador.  Now living in CA.

Im also a US Army Veteran,  3rd Infantry Division[/quote]

Right on dude. I am Infantry as well, most recently the 3-172nd INF (MTN) out of VT Guard, and a year ago returned from a tour over in the 'Stan.
"Look to your knives now, and 'ware the foeman."- The Doomfarers of Coramonde, by Brian Daley

http://www.brian-daley.com/default.htm
http://www.charlesatlas.com

esteban

Your ethnicity
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2005, 05:48:51 PM »
In Brittany however, we traditionally celebrate the Samain (Irish Samhain), despite the efforts of the Church to turn this folklore festival into a Catholic experience.
Yeah, Samhain is the way Halloween ought to be -- brooding and scary (at least, that's how it was back in the day). I don't know what a modern Samhain celebration would be like,though. No animal or human sacrifices, I'm sure :) .  

In Sweden we imported Halloween some years ago. We celebrate it with decorations, candy begging, mischief, horrormovies and parties! Its very fun ^^
See, I would have never guessed  this. That's awesome :) . How is Halloween understood? As a novelty that is largely foreign, or as something that has become interwoven with Swedish culture? Is there a "Swedish twist" on Halloween... you know, by tapping into the history and culture of Sweden?

Quote from: "GUTS"
I personally can't stand Halloween here in the states; it was awesome as hell when I was a kid (who doesn't remember dressing up as a bum at the last minute because you didn't have a costume?) but now that I'm an adult it's just an excuse for people to dress up like dipshits and get drunk.
Oh, I totally agree. Thankfully, with my daughter, I celebrate Halloween as a kid would :) I never dressed up as a bum, but I loved dressing up as a lady (this might not surprise you). Fake eyelashes, wig, pantyhose... awesome. When I was a kid, it was the one day out of the year when you could get away with stuff like that ;). My aunt and grandma donated their old wigs to me... they looked pretty good for being 15 years old.

Quote from: "steve's anecdote for the day"
Anyway, that reminds me: My brother, who kicks ass, always thought that the college year books were even more pathetic than high school yearbooks... so he wasn't even going to bother getting his picture taken for his graduation. But then, in a moment of inspiration, he suddenly changed his mind and went to the photoshoot.

He wouldn't tell me why he suddenly changed his mind. I forgot about it.

Then the glorious day arrived when his college year book arrived. My mom and I, being the girls that we are, flipped through all the pages to see the kids we knew.

When I got to my brother's picture, I almost died: He was wearing one of the old wigs I used to wear during Halloween, BACKWARDS, on his head. At this point, the wig was pushin' 30 years of age.
  |    | 

mamonohunter

Your ethnicity
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2005, 01:29:32 AM »
See, I would have never guessed this. That's awesome  . How is Halloween understood? As a novelty that is largely foreign, or as something that has become interwoven with Swedish culture? Is there a "Swedish twist" on Halloween... you know, by tapping into the history and culture of Sweden?

It was a novelty and still are in different respects. It´s young people that have been taking Halloween very positive while the older people seems to not take it to seriously. The reason why Halloween was imported was that we wanted something new for a try but also the fascination for american culture as most of the inspiration how to celebrate it comes from american movies and such. I guess that its also because many parents like the whole idea when the kids can go out having a good time begging candy in "scary" costumes. But they dont like their kids doing mischief with eggthrowing and firecrackers etc  :lol:, it´s the same thing with Easter Saturday.