Author Topic: Netflix streaming for Wii  (Read 850 times)

esteban

Netflix streaming for Wii
« on: March 28, 2010, 03:17:08 PM »
Hey folks. You might have heard that Netflix Discs for Wii Arrived in Homes recently.

I wish I had known about this sooner, because I would have requested one sooner, instead of a minute ago:

I already use Roku for my other TV's, but I have a TV in a guestroom with no fancy streaming options, so now the Wii will provide a bit more fun.

Hopefully, once the Netflix licensing agreement/contract with Microsoft changes, PS3 and Wii users won't have to use the silly discs.

|    | 

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
Re: Netflix streaming for Wii
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 05:31:02 PM »
we've been doing this with the 360 recently- pretty damn cool stuff!  Is the Wii just as good?

SignOfZeta

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 08:59:45 PM »
Oh, I guess I should check the mail box. I'm going to use the hell out of this.

EDIT: It wasn't out there.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 09:02:38 PM by SignOfZeta »

Tatsujin

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 10:19:47 PM »
what do you guys stream?
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

esteban

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 12:34:13 AM »
what do you guys stream?

Netflix has a decent selection of crappy movies and television shows available to stream to your computer/hardware. The funny thing is that I love the second- and third-tier garbage :)

Some recent stuff I watched via Netflix streaming:
The Day of the Triffids (1981- BBC miniseries) -- I re-watched this... I just friggin' love it. I watched it as a kid on PBS and I am so happy to see it again.
Pierrot Le Fou (1965) -- What can I say? I like Godard and all the gorgeous, frustrated people he has in his films.   
Masculin Feminin (1966) -- ""
Band of Outsiders (1964) -- ''
Carnival of Souls (1962) -- good stuff!
entire series of Pink Panther (1969-1979) animated cartoons (fantastic! I think I like them more now than when I was a kid)
entire series of Fraggle Rock
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Howard the Duck

Using Roku: Netflix videos, Pandora, MLB.com, twit.tv. 

|    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 07:47:38 PM »
People who like whatever the newest blockbuster POS is will not like Netflix instant so much, but for me, its fantastic.

Recently (in the last year) watched:

All of Knight Rider, Cosmos, Yes Minsiter, Around the World in 80 Days (Michael Palin version), The Story Teller (both series) Red Dwarf, and The Good Life.

A lot of Waiting for God, Inspector Gadget, All Creatures Great and Small, Faulty Towers, Ripping Yarns, Doctor Who, Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Also, Blues Brothers, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, DC Cab, and a bunch of other movies.

esteban

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 01:37:37 AM »
People who like whatever the newest blockbuster POS is will not like Netflix instant so much, but for me, its fantastic.

Recently (in the last year) watched:

All of Knight Rider, Cosmos, Yes Minsiter, Around the World in 80 Days (Michael Palin version), The Story Teller (both series) Red Dwarf, and The Good Life.

A lot of Waiting for God, Inspector Gadget, All Creatures Great and Small, Faulty Towers, Ripping Yarns, Doctor Who, Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Also, Blues Brothers, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, DC Cab, and a bunch of other movies.

Hahahhahaa. I haven't watched some of those shows for years. Good stuff :) .  I see you might be a current/former PBS junkie like myself. Ripping Yarns used to play on WNYC here in NYC... I remember an episode about an East Berliner making a plane out of toilet paper to escape? He had many opportunities to escape, but was so obsessed with completing his plane he stayed in East Berlin? I think that was the best episode, IIRC.

Too bad Blakes 7 isn't available. I bought a lot of VHS tapes back in the day when PBS stopped airing episodes... but I don't think all of the seasons were released in North America.

|    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 06:23:51 AM »
Its not so much PBS as it is BBC, but yeah, as an American I'm familiar with that stuff mostly because of PBS.

Ripping Yarns isn't that awesome, but its a lot better than Jabberwocky. I've never seen Blake's 7. I'd like to.

I also watched Quark, the whole thing, even though its awful. I guess I just like TV from the 70s.

esteban

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 06:30:17 AM »
Its not so much PBS as it is BBC, but yeah, as an American I'm familiar with that stuff mostly because of PBS.

Ripping Yarns isn't that awesome, but its a lot better than Jabberwocky. I've never seen Blake's 7. I'd like to.

I also watched Quark, the whole thing, even though its awful. I guess I just like TV from the 70s.

Yeah, I remember being disappointed by Ripping Yarns back in the day. I haven't seen Quark, I should check that out.

I love 70's-80's TV. Good stuff.

You should definitely check out Blakes 7, if you can watch it in sequence and the quality is decent. I wouldn't ruin your experience by watching crappy video quality, though, because it deserves better!

Also, if you've never seen Secret Agent Man (Danger Man in UK), then you deserve to treat yourself. I loved it as a kid, and I personally prefer the "solve problems via wits instead of brawn" philosophy to the show! It's great :)

|    | 

Vecanti

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 03:56:27 PM »
Is the Wii just as good?

I got my disc today and it looks really good.  I had big doubts that Wii could play Netflix smoothly.  I used ORB to stream movies from my computer to the Wii for a while and it's pretty awful.  I can watch movies on my phone with ORB and they look great, but the Wii just couldn't do it. 

Very excited about this.   Watch a lot of stuff like MS3K.  There are faily new movies on their like the Proposal.  I watch a lot of Sci-fi stuff, but there is quite a good selection of TV shows on there I think. 

It's pretty nice though.  Best $8.99 I spend a month. 

esteban

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 04:18:19 AM »
Is the Wii just as good?

I got my disc today and it looks really good.  I had big doubts that Wii could play Netflix smoothly.  I used ORB to stream movies from my computer to the Wii for a while and it's pretty awful.  I can watch movies on my phone with ORB and they look great, but the Wii just couldn't do it. 

Very excited about this.   Watch a lot of stuff like MS3K.  There are faily new movies on their like the Proposal.  I watch a lot of Sci-fi stuff, but there is quite a good selection of TV shows on there I think. 

YAY! When did you request your disc? Maybe I'll get my disc today.

I'm excited because the Wii is just sitting there, hardly used, and now it will be useful :)

|    | 

Vecanti

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 10:00:01 AM »
Is the Wii just as good?

Very excited about this.   Watch a lot of stuff like MS3K.  There are faily new movies on their like the Proposal.  I watch a lot of Sci-fi stuff, but there is quite a good selection of TV shows on there I think. 

YAY! When did you request your disc? Maybe I'll get my disc today.

I'm excited because the Wii is just sitting there, hardly used, and now it will be useful :)

A month and a half ago maybe?  I saw it on Slashdot and went and requested it right away. 

It showed up on my Netflix accout Wednesday and it showed "Shipping for Thrusday - Wii Disc" or something like that. 

esteban

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 11:50:48 AM »

It showed up on my Netflix accout Wednesday and it showed "Shipping for Thrusday - Wii Disc" or something like that. 

Crap, I haven't seen it on my account yet. I only requested it a few days ago... BASTARDS! Send out that disc already...

|    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 01:52:08 PM »
I assume they are waiting for another production run of the disc. I signed up for mine about a month ago and haven't gotten a shipping notice yet either. I remember them telling me about the PS3 disc (which I've never used) before they sent it to me.

esteban

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 03:14:13 PM »
I assume they are waiting for another production run of the disc. I signed up for mine about a month ago and haven't gotten a shipping notice yet either. I remember them telling me about the PS3 disc (which I've never used) before they sent it to me.

Yeah, I just called customer service (less than a minute on hold!) and they told me they do not have an ETA for my disc. They are still sending out discs for all the folks who signed up when the offer initially opened up.

The service rep said we would definitely get an email notice before it ships.

I was really hoping to get this disc in a few days... but I don't know if that will happen.
  |    |