Author Topic: Favorite/memorable game moments  (Read 422 times)

spenoza

Favorite/memorable game moments
« on: April 23, 2010, 08:59:50 AM »
I think it would be nice for us all to chronicle memorable game moments I'll start by sharing one.

One of the most unnerving yet awesome game memories I have is of playing Aeroblasters. I had finally managed to make it through the speed sections of stage 2 and was sitting too close to the TV. When the level 2 boss entered the screen and the background started weaving a figure 8 I could barely fight the boss because the background was making me dizzy.

What do you guys remember most?
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Favorite/memorable game moments
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 09:09:23 AM »
There are two memorable moments that immediately spring to mind: Ys Book I & II's opening sequence with a stormy sky over Darm tower nearly made me jizz in my pants the first time I saw it, and if robots had tear ducts, I would've cried when Laura bought the farm in Cosmic Fantasy 2.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

spenoza

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 09:57:46 AM »
You know, however banaal (and in places buggy) the gameplay in CF2 was, the story was anything but average. I agree, that moment was pretty bad-ass. There's just something crazy about an RPG hero who gets his ass kicked TWICE and keeps going. Not only that, but his sole desire for setting forth isn't to save the world, but merely to get the girl, and in the end he has to let the girl go to save the world. Hah! Take that, evil empire!
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

TheOldMan

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 03:58:45 PM »
I personally will never forget playing Power Golf with my son-in-law, telling him it was pretty close (at the time) to a real golf game. His response ? "Prove it. Hit a hole-in-one".

My next shot was on the short hole surrounded by water; I dropped it inches from the hole. And his jaw almost hit the floor :-)

Never did actually make a hole-in-one, though. Lots of near misses, especially on that short par-3, though.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 04:15:12 PM »
Playing bonk for the first time when I was very young (5-6), being really into the music, really into the non-typical platformer setup (no jumping ON the enemies!), and then getting hooked on PCE for life :D

My other most memorable moment is probably when I got my CD-ROM unit, put in CF2 for the first time, heard that intro music, and basically got wood.

I still think that song is awesome.   
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Obfuscate

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 12:37:23 AM »
In high school in the summer I played on a traveling softball team and we'd get RVs to travel to differant states to play national tournies and I'd hook up my Duo and we'd play alot of Bomberman 93 and World Class Baseball.

lord_cack

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 12:50:08 AM »
Agrees with Necromancer, the opening sequence for Ys Book I & II. The lightening storm, followed by that tranquil music and then.... "Ys the ideal utopia...." I had no idea what to think I was floored.

I place that one so I high, I can't even think of what any other moment would be....  I agree that Cosmic Fantasy 2 had a bunch of great moments. The first time I played Gate of Thunder was a great moment. Lots of other great moments....
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

TheClash603

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 04:19:25 AM »
Some of my favorite game moments involve me skippinng school and playing Double Dragon, TMNT, or Street Fighter at the local bowling alley arcade as an awesome rebellious kid.

TurbografxKid

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 07:24:21 AM »
Some memorable moments for me was,
The first time I played through Samurai Ghost, the level with the giant centipede, was in awe by that and thought it was so cool.

Playing gate of thunder and was so overwhelmed by the music and gameplay.

spenoza

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 08:31:03 AM »
Hmmm... The video bits from Ys and others never really had me "wow"ed. I mean, they were cool, but I guess I was just too used to having a CD ROM on my early Mac. I played Myst about the time I got my CD unit. They were well scripted, but none of them blew me away. Well, except maybe the intro to GoT. For some reason that was just cool.

offsidewing

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 09:23:12 AM »
There are two memorable moments that immediately spring to mind: Ys Book I & II's opening sequence with a stormy sky over Darm tower nearly made me jizz in my pants the first time I saw it, and if robots had tear ducts, I would've cried when Laura bought the farm in Cosmic Fantasy 2.

That whole Laura thing still chokes me up almost 20 years later.

Liquid Snake

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 01:06:59 PM »
- first time playing Y's books 1 & 2 on Turbo Duo
- first time playing Ninja Spirit hucard game.............WOW
- first time purchasing PC Engine games + adaptor - pricey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My happy meal box is empty~~~

Play-Asia

Tatsujin

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 06:34:54 PM »
1st time encounter with R-Type Level 1 Boss. Le Fear!!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

greedostick

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 09:15:54 PM »
Finally beating the Pyramid in Spellcaster for the Master System. It only took like 10 years. That was before the internet.

The first time I bought and finally got to play The Last Blade on my Neo Geo Arcade Cabinet.

Playing though Final Fantasy on NES. It was the first RPG I ever played. Then being blown away by Final Fantasy IV (2) on SNES. Lots of Final Fantasy memories. The world being destroyed in 3. And then in 7 getting pissed cause Cloud would flip out and have Shit Fit and prevent me from saving for a hour when I was ready for bed. He was good at that. Also wandering around the outskirts of Coral Prison on that really long bridge. I loved the music in that part of the game.

Final Beating Secret of Mana with my buddy Jerry.

Loving every moment of Landstalker for Genesis. Especially they Crypt riddles and even when I was pissed off wondering in Greenmaze. Probably the only maze in a game I ever enjoyed playing. Landstalker is awesome!

The first time I teleported to visit Brenna the Fairy Maiden in Dynastic Hero. It has such relaxing music. And then almost crying when I had to sell my english copy to my friend when my engine in my car broke. I'm never gonna get that one back.

Making it to the final stage in Kid Icarus and being surprised it was a shooter. Same thing happened in Spellcaster.

Playing Halo 2 online all day everyday with my homeboys from the Neo Geo forums.

Finding the magic flute in Super Mario 3 for the first time after holding down on the white block.

Getting married in Phantast Star 3: Generations of Doom. Was the only RPG I had back then. And i'm glad, cause I really enjoyed it. If I picked it up a few years ago I never would have gave it a chance.

Finding Dark Sol for the first time in Shining in the Darkness. And is still to this day the only dungeon crawler in my eyes worth playing.

Making it to the final boss in Ninja Gaiden on NES and losing and having to start all the way back at that Jacquio fellow. That was frustrating. I still hate all birds to this day cause of ninja gaiden.

Playing Ninja Combat, NAM 1975, and Samurai Shodown 2 at Krogers when I was little wihile my parents shopped. I would have a handful of quarters every week from not eating lunch at school so I could play.

Shiek's theme in Ocarina of Time, and wondering the Lost woods in Link to the Past.

Wandering around in ICO trying to save Yorda while holding her hand. Ico was such a original game. It really is a work of art.

Climbing a Colossus for the first time and stabbing it.

I could go on all day. Video gaming, had and always will be what has made me the person I am today. If it wasn't for RPG's I probably wouldn't be such a good reader.

TurbografxKid

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 01:51:31 AM »
I guess I forgot about that "greatest memorable moment." It was the time I spent reading about the Turbo Grafx 16 and then finally bringing one home and opening the box. Taking out the game HuCard and being fascinated by the size and thinking that, "I am holding the game in my hand." I actually had to put it in my shirt pocket, just because. There was just a certain thrill there that I never recovered from.  :dance: