Author Topic: Favorite/memorable game moments  (Read 424 times)

esteban

Re: Favorite/memorable game moments
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 01:59:21 AM »
I have too many. So I'll list a few...

Getting *this close* to (maybe) beating MegaZone in the arcade, when I was a young lad. Still haven't beaten it.

AfterBurner in the aracade. It was exhilarating!

Freezing enemies and hopping on them for the first time in Metroid. Years later, I shed a tear when playing a particular segment of Valis III, as well. Hats off to freezing enemies and using them as stepping stones!

Beating Robocop in the arcade on one quarter. Granted, it was an easy game, but it was fun as hell, and it captured some things well (ED-209). :)

Double Dragon on NES = great music, plus it was fun as hell. Then, Double Dragon II on NES just made things even better! DDII on NES gave Streets of Rage a run for its money. No joke. I love SoR, but DDII was awesome. And, I am sorry, the the arcade versions of Double Dragon were weaker than their NES counterparts. TRUTH.

I loved the story in Ninja Gaiden. Then, getting to the last boss in Ninja Gaiden, only to say WTF? What do I do?

Playing the refreshingly wonderful goodness that was SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 (USA) and BIONIC COMMANDO back in the day.

Getting to the last boss in Bayou Billy, only to choke. Repeatedly. A few hits shy of victory.

Beating Cobra Command on NES for the first time. A game that I initially thought was crap, but slowly realized was an unsung masterpiece.

|    | 

spenoza

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 12:07:51 PM »
I guess I forgot about that "greatest memorable moment." It was the time I spent reading about the Turbo Grafx 16 and then finally bringing one home and opening the box. Taking out the game HuCard and being fascinated by the size and thinking that, "I am holding the game in my hand." I actually had to put it in my shirt pocket, just because. There was just a certain thrill there that I never recovered from.  :dance:

OK, I will admit to having done the shirt pocket thing, too. Also, I should note that I keep my loose HuCards in a plastic trading card deck box.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Mathius

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 11:08:43 AM »
One of the first games I played when I got my TG-16 was Dungeon Explorer. Since then every time I hear the music it reminds me of when I got into the TG-16/PC Engine, and how it was opening up a whole new world for me. It's a feeling that's hard to explain, but I am sure you all here know what I am talking about.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

nodtveidt

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 03:12:43 AM »
Discovering the "freeze" trick in Keith Courage for the first time, then winning the game for the seizure-inducing ending. This was 1992.

Completing Fantasy Zone for the first time. Loved that game.

Finishing Exile for the first time, wishing Rumi would come back because damn, she's hot and I wanted her.

Experiencing the awesome heavy metal soundtrack of Lords Of Thunder, and then consequently squashing the game three days later.

Finally conquering Sinistron and Sidearms. Each took about six months' time. Shame that both lack real endings.

The first time playing Turrican, and then again when I finally beat it. 3-2 held me back for the longest time...ironic considering it's the shortest level in the game...or at least the shortest path to the exit.

First time playing Ys I & II. What an awesome opening cinema, and such incredible music that always set the mood just right, especially that first temple and its wizard boss.

Just about everything about Cosmic Fantasy 2.

Finishing China Warrior three times in a row for the first time, and being told to "Give Up!".

henrycsc

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 02:16:53 PM »
I'd have to say my favorite moment was the first time playing Dragon's Curse and beating the prologue boss thinking that it was going to be not much of a game then realizing that all the character's strength was now stripped and I would have to build back up to where I started.  That concept was so new to me and such a great approach that it was one of the first (if not the first) TG game I ever beat to 100%.  Was it a cross-console game - yeah - but I didn't care - still don't.  I used to take it with me when I traveled, playing it on the plane with the Turbo Express. 

Also, when I was in grad school, I had an office that I took my gaming setup.  A group of about 15 of us would have lunch sessions of bomberman every day.  5 Players ROCKS! 
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.