Author Topic: Rag-time4's Duo repair project  (Read 1005 times)

kattare

Re: Rag-time4's Duo repair project
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 05:00:37 PM »
Yikes, I hope the reverse polarity on that one cap didn't cause more damage.  If you powered it on with the polarity reversed there's a 90% chance that cap is bad now tho.  You're lucky it didn't blow up on you.  ;-)  You'll want to snag a new one and try again I think.

Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.

rag-time4

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 06:27:38 PM »
I've installed new 47uf caps, but I'm getting the same symptom: solid color screen with audio hum.

I notice that if I insert a HuCard, I can see some scrolling on screen. There is a horizontal section slightly darker than the rest which scrolls upward.

D-Lite

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 04:51:16 AM »
I've installed new 47uf caps, but I'm getting the same symptom: solid color screen with audio hum.

I notice that if I insert a HuCard, I can see some scrolling on screen. There is a horizontal section slightly darker than the rest which scrolls upward.
Does it change with HuCard?  All the indications are you've got a short somewhere.
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

rag-time4

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 07:51:26 PM »

Does it change with HuCard?  All the indications are you've got a short somewhere.
Dean, the change is only slight. With or without hucard I get a solid color screen with an audio hum. The only change is that with a HuCard, there is a slight scroll in the video. It's like there is a horizontal bar that is slightly darker than the rest of the screen. The dark part scrolls upwards. With no HuCard, there is no scroll.

kattare

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 12:54:11 PM »
I hate to say it, but you may have to go through and pull out your caps, test 'em, check the board out, and re-install 'em.  Not that I think a bunch of 'em are bad, but I think your board may need an inspection for shorts and/or cuts/breaks.

rag-time4

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 02:36:18 PM »
I hate to say it, but you may have to go through and pull out your caps, test 'em, check the board out, and re-install 'em.  Not that I think a bunch of 'em are bad, but I think your board may need an inspection for shorts and/or cuts/breaks.
Kattre, I think you're right. I pulled 3 caps near the sound amp, but I'm gonna stop here and send the Duo over to chop before I cause any more damage. Hopefully he can get it back up and running.

Duo_R

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 12:49:02 AM »
The new 10uf cap should only affect your sound circuit, that shouldn't be causing the no screen issue. however, you do want that cap correctly installed. Once technique I used when I first did this install and lifted the solder pad was I passed through the cap legs through to the bottom of the Duo PCB, and on the underside I reconnected that cap to pad that traced and was more easier to solder to. Take a look on the underside and see if you can find a point like that.
                ____
                |    |   <--- 10 uf Cap
                |__ | 
                 |   | <--- Cap leg
     =========|=========== <--- PCB

/\
                      l
                      l
              Apply Solder Here

So you would apply the solder on the underside when the cap leg passes through a small hole (usually where the original cap passed through)

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 12:51:25 AM by Duo_R »
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

rag-time4

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 11:20:29 AM »
The new 10uf cap should only affect your sound circuit, that shouldn't be causing the no screen issue. however, you do want that cap correctly installed. Once technique I used when I first did this install and lifted the solder pad was I passed through the cap legs through to the bottom of the Duo PCB, and on the underside I reconnected that cap to pad that traced and was more easier to solder to. Take a look on the underside and see if you can find a point like that.
                ____
                |    |   <--- 10 uf Cap
                |__ | 
                 |   | <--- Cap leg
     =========|=========== <--- PCB

/\
                      l
                      l
              Apply Solder Here

So you would apply the solder on the underside when the cap leg passes through a small hole (usually where the original cap passed through)

I got that 10uf cap through the proper holes... but the soldering got a bit messy. In the process of working in that area I may have damaged traces as well.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 02:55:42 AM »
I got that 10uf cap through the proper holes... but the soldering got a bit messy. In the process of working in that area I may have damaged traces as well.

Stop!!  This is the e-police!  Put down the soldering iron and step away from the PCB.  :lol:

It's a bit too late for your Duo-R, but you (and anyone else with a similar lack of experience) might be better served by practicing your soldering skills on a few junk PCBs before risking damage to something good.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

D-Lite

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 04:16:36 AM »

Stop!!  This is the e-police!  Put down the soldering iron and step away from the PCB.  :lol:

It's a bit too late for your Duo-R, but you (and anyone else with a similar lack of experience) might be better served by practicing your soldering skills on a few junk PCBs before risking damage to something good.
I've been cringing through this thread as well.

kattare

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 07:18:43 AM »
Heh, I gotta give the guy credit for tryin' tho.  How many other folks just throw away stuff like this?

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 08:59:31 AM »
Heh, I gotta give the guy credit for tryin' tho.  How many other folks just throw away stuff like this?

I ruined a Turbo Express (it wasn't lighting up anyway) and several game gears trying to soder.
--DragonmasterDan

D-Lite

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2010, 08:33:05 AM »
Oh, I agree.  Still makes me queezy.

rag-time4

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2010, 01:39:28 PM »

Chop told me to practice soldering on junk boards.... Unfortunately I don't have a lot of junk boards laying around. I think I got a lot out of the experience.... now hopefully my Duo can be salvaged!!

Duo_R

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2010, 06:00:27 PM »
Part sale! Part sale!
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq