Author Topic: Very First PC Engine/Turbo Game Ever Played?  (Read 1059 times)

tru

Very First PC Engine/Turbo Game Ever Played?
« on: April 29, 2010, 10:46:01 AM »
My very first was Keith Courage in Alpha Zones...

It came packed with with the TG-16 and I had also bought Bonks Adventure the same day...

I remember firing up KC and had a blast... then popped in Bonks Adventure and played until the sun came up...

I would think that most people who bought a tg-16 new first played KC first... so might as well also say the second one as well if that was the case...

First Hu-Card: Keith Courage in Alpha Zones
Second Hu-Card: Bonks Adventure
First CD Game: Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Very First PC Engine/Turbo Game Ever Played?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 11:08:33 AM »
I can't recall what the first game was that I played in-store or at someone else's home, but I believe that Gate of Thunder was the first game I played that I owned.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

runinruder

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 11:27:06 AM »
First game: Keith Courage in Alpha Zones
Second game: The Legendary Axe
Third game: Victory Run
First CD game: It Came from the Desert

I posted an essay about my early Turbo experiences, with pictures and all, right here:

http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/2009/07/original-six.html
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Otaking

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 11:32:50 AM »
Can't remember the exact very first game, my friend at schools older brother had bought an imported pc engine (around 1988 ish), I went round to his house to play it and played a selection of games, Kato and Ken sticks out in my memory as the toilet humour was novel for the time and R-Type was was incredible!
Anways I was blown away by the little white machine and it got me heavily into video gaming, up untill that point my experience of gaming other than the Arcades was 8 bit home computers like the Sinclair Spectrum and Commodore 64 and they were a load of Bollocks.

lord_cack

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 12:21:25 PM »
Dungeon Explorer, Bonk's Revenge, and Keith Courage.

Dungeon Explorer was fun but I felt a little let down. I had not checked into it and was expecting more RPG than Action RPG.... but was still decent fun.

Keith Courage, meh

Bonk's Revenge, I played it like mad
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

ceti alpha

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 01:03:49 PM »
I honestly think the first Turbo game I played was Fighting Street on the demo unit in Radio Shack. The first game I owned was Keith Courage, of course.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Tatsujin

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 01:07:50 PM »
I think it was Bloodia (:lol:)in a department store. Sure I already knew that the PCE was much more capable than this :lol:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

nectarsis

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 01:37:43 PM »
I do remember some demo kiosks in local EB Games/Gamestop/Babbage's/Funcoland bitd...but not any game in particular.  First games I owned/played were Neutopia 2, and Veigues Tactical Gladiator (much better game of the 2).
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

rag-time4

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 01:47:59 PM »
The first Turbo game I remember playing was Battle Royale.... and what a first impression! :^o

My next door neighbor had a TurboGrafx... the only time any of my friends had one. Other early plays include China Warrior and Legendary Axe II. Axe II was the only game of the lot that I thought was decent.

lord_cack

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 02:11:01 PM »
Oh, I take that back, I did play Air Zonk on a Kiosk in Toys R Us, way back.... not sure if it was the first game I played but it was close....
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

Liquid Snake

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 02:23:09 PM »
first US hucard game: Keith Courage in Alpha Zones
second US hucard game: Ninja Spirit
first US CD-Rom game: Gate of Thunder
first JPN CD-Rom game: Xanadu
My happy meal box is empty~~~

Play-Asia

tru

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 03:05:49 PM »
My next door neighbor had a TurboGrafx... the only time any of my friends had one.

At least you knew someone that owned one... even today I talk of the system and my friends are "The what?!?"

And they still think they are gamers... lol

Even in the game stores of the bigger surrounding cities I rarely see anything Turbo related... Guess thats Wisconsin for you!

saintfu

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 03:18:34 PM »
In order to decide which console I should buy in 1989, I asked the game store keeper show me some shooting games on PCE and Genesis, he played Thunder Force II, and Tatsujin on Genesis, and then played Blazing lasers on PCE. I finally bought PCE and Blazing laser home, it costed me total 120 bucks.

nectarsis

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 03:24:31 PM »
My next door neighbor had a TurboGrafx... the only time any of my friends had one.

At least you knew someone that owned one... even today I talk of the system and my friends are "The what?!?"

And they still think they are gamers... lol

Even in the game stores of the bigger surrounding cities I rarely see anything Turbo related... Guess thats Wisconsin for you!

LOL Wisconsin has been TG dry ever since I can remember.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

termis

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 01:16:19 AM »
I still remember - there was this little electronics store off of 8th and Vermont in L.A....  (don't remember the name - but it's long gone now).

They had random games up & running, and I recall that Vigilante was game they had going when I first went in there.  I recall being rather impressed with the graphics.  (I mean, compared to the NES, it's no surprise)

I think Monster Lair III was the first CD-ROM game I tried out (at the same store), though it could've been Fighting Street...

edit:  Wait, I distinctly recall playing Kato-chan Ken-chan in Korea on a bootlegged, Playchoice-like, time-limited arcade system, and that was before I ever played any TG16...  So KCKC it is.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:20:51 AM by termis »