Author Topic: Fighters Thread  (Read 2125 times)

Keranu

Fighters Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 05:29:39 PM »
Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"
Nope wasn't playing. In the Korean Guilty Gear XX #R videos, that was my Johnny that won and the Sol that lost against Slayer.
 I am the cameraman in all the live match videos, and the loudest one out of the group yelling "HEY! HEY! HEY!" everytime the hits from that super move linked. it's one of those love it or hate it kind of stuff. some think it's annoying and think people that do that are "Japanophiles" (I despise that word with a passion), some think it's just fun silly stuff. It is true, the Japanese picked that cheer up from Muay Thai Kickboxing fights from Thailand (watch Van Damme's "Kickboxer" films) and implemented it into fighting games during long combos and juggle links. Then when Evolution 2003 came around, the Americans were introduced to that cheer during the finals as a Japanese Yun player called "K.O." battled his way to 1st place for 3rd Strike, bumping Daigo Umehara (the guy who fully parried Chun Li's super) to 2nd place.

Wow, I had no idea that the "HEY!" thing had such a story, thanks for the background info :D . As you can see, I have been pretty inactive in the fighting area for a few  years now, hehe.

Speaking of that, anyone familiar with the name "Justin Wong"? I kinda know him. One of the highest ranked players in the USA. Until a few months back, he was the most feared player in the game Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes. For 2 or 3 years he won every tournament in MvC2 he came across.

Haven't heard of him, but I also hate MvC2 and tend to stay away from it whenever possible, so that's probably why.

Quote from: "Tron"
Last Blade, that's the only fighter i've been playing as of late.

I'm just been expermenting with Zantetsu for now.

Ah, excellent game. Last Blade 2 is a little better in the gameplay department, but it totally lacks the level of sweet backgrounds and music that the first one had. Zantetsu is a pretty sweet character to play with, he's a great speed character. My favorite character though is probably Moriya and if you guys know who Yamazaki is in Fatal Fury and KoF and have read this thread earlier of me talking about him, then you'll know why I love Moriya :D . Moriya has a major defense of attack that's just like Yamazaki's snake arm. Not only does this give Moriya great defense, but he also has a nice variety of offensive moves which can give him some very powerful combos, making him a great power and speed player.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

Fighters Thread
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 06:15:14 PM »
It is true, the Japanese picked that cheer up from Muay Thai Kickboxing fights from Thailand (watch Van Damme's "Kickboxer" films) and implemented it into fighting games during long combos and juggle links.
I loved this movie when it came out. I still love it.

"I'll show you a thing or two, American a$$hole." I love that line. I'm pretty sure it's in Kickboxer, though it might be another Van Damme movie :)

Supposedly, Van Damme was did everything he could to promote Kickboxer... like putting flyers everywhere (in L.A. ? perhaps). This was his first film and he had nothing to lose.
  |    | 

TR0N

Fighters Thread
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2005, 10:08:12 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"

Last Blade, that's the only fighter i've been playing as of late.

I'm just been expermenting with Zantetsu for now.

Ah, excellent game. Last Blade 2 is a little better in the gameplay department, but it totally lacks the level of sweet backgrounds and music that the first one had. Zantetsu is a pretty sweet character to play with, he's a great speed character. My favorite character though is probably Moriya and if you guys know who Yamazaki is in Fatal Fury and KoF and have read this thread earlier of me talking about him, then you'll know why I love Moriya :D . Moriya has a major defense of attack that's just like Yamazaki's snake arm. Not only does this give Moriya great defense, but he also has a nice variety of offensive moves which can give him some very powerful combos, making him a great power and speed player.

That's what i like about, LB1 it has more personality then what, LB2 does.

Btw yeah, Moriya is great he's good for "beginers" just like with Kade and body can use those two :wink:

The most fun character i've used for far on LB is, Akari to her moves and the way she acts is.. just so silly :lol:

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Keranu

Fighters Thread
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 10:59:16 AM »
I wouldn't say Moriya is for beginners, in fact I like to consider no character in a serious gameplay fighting game is specifically for beginners just because a well made fighting game like KoF'98 is going to require lots of practice no matter who the character. I would even put Moriya more on the advance user side just because it takes some skill and reflexes to defend with his snake-arms esque attack! Akari is an interesting character. Her DP+any attack moves used to confuse the hell out of me and other people, but after practicing you know how to easily block those damn things! I'm not very fond of her overall though, she's a rather weak character if you ask me. One EXCELLENT offensive character is Lee Rekka, what a combo monster! That guy can do some serious damage!
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

TR0N

Fighters Thread
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 06:23:57 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
I wouldn't say Moriya is for beginners, in fact I like to consider no character in a serious gameplay fighting game is specifically for beginners just because a well made fighting game like KoF'98 is going to require lots of practice no matter who the character.

Well Moriya seem not hard for me to use period.

Then again i've been playing fighters so long that's probably why.

Btw i try not to over analyze fighters.... to much these days, if i did i wouldn't enjoy them any more.

Ninja Spirit

Fighters Thread
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2005, 01:40:33 AM »
Oh man I brought my laptop to the arcade last night (the one y'all saw in those Guilty Gear videos I posted) we was playing KoF98 and Rage of the Dragons non-stop.

Keranu

Fighters Thread
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2005, 12:06:24 PM »
Sweet! Do you have KoF'98 videos recorded? :D

Ninja Spirit

Fighters Thread
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2005, 04:48:28 PM »
As a matter of fact yeah I did, but the problem is, I don't know a program that can let me record emulator movie save states.

Ninja Spirit

Fighters Thread
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2005, 08:11:46 AM »
I have no clue if I'll ever get to play the new Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star fighter in my life ever. Mainstream American gaming is killing my chances.
http://rapidshare.de/files/8847310/hk20051207_nakanosauza-_sauza-__vs_asaba_raou_.wmv.html

akamichi

Fighters Thread
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2005, 04:39:21 PM »
I just played Fist of the North Star last night!  I haven't been playing 2D fighting games much but from the stuff I read, it seems to be like Guilty Gear XX.  After I tried the game, it seemed to me that they took the Guilty Gear engine and tweaked it for First of the North Star stuff.  

I like the game, but I was having difficulty figuring out what the heck was happening.  The computer was using the unblockable charge move on me like constantly and then following it up with some crazy combo.  The place probably ramped up the difficulty.

There are like 3 or 4 indicator bars that mean something, but I don't know exactly what.  One of course is a super move bar.  Then there's some "Aura" bar and a number of blue stars under your life.  Don't have any idea what these things are for.

I'm a fan of Fist of the North Star, but I don't really care for Guilty Gear style of play, so I'm a little torn.  Definitely will need to read up on game more because it does seem like fun.

GUTS

Fighters Thread
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2005, 05:16:48 PM »
That's disappointing that it's like Guilty Gear, I was hoping it would be more like a Capcom fighter since Guilty Gear f*cking blows.

TR0N

Fighters Thread
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2005, 05:26:44 PM »
I guess i should ask has any body played KOF XI yet?

Keranu

Fighters Thread
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2005, 06:31:15 PM »
Nope, I still haven't even played the ones after 2003. The fighting games I mainly play are KoF'98, SF2 (any variation, I guess Super and Super Turbo mainly), SFA3, and maybe Last Blade. KoF'98 to me is the peak of fighting games. I am going to start practicing again and if anyone wants to play me in something on Kaillera, we can set arrangements  :twisted: .

Ninja Spirit

Fighters Thread
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2005, 02:30:16 AM »
Quote from: "akamichi"
I just played Fist of the North Star last night!  I haven't been playing 2D fighting games much but from the stuff I read, it seems to be like Guilty Gear XX.  After I tried the game, it seemed to me that they took the Guilty Gear engine and tweaked it for First of the North Star stuff.  

It's from the same people who made Guilty Gear, Arc Systems.

That's being set up at my local arcade as we speak. Last night, one of my friends let me use the arcade restroom (I get to hang out with them in the arcade even after it closes) and I saw the marquees, move list and the board for it in a box. I was like "oh shit!!!" I'm definitely heading over to the mall this afternoon! I asked one of my friends to bring his camcorder. :P  :P

akamichi

Fighters Thread
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2005, 04:10:33 AM »

I played it a few times.  I don't like KOF as much as I used to.  KOF2002 was the last one I played regularly and that was because I bought the DC version.

One thing that annoys me with the new KOFs is that SNK-Playmore (or whatever their name is now) changed the button layout to a square configuration.  That really irks me because I really like the four buttons in-a-row style from the previous games.

I noticed that KOF XI takes an unusually long time to load the battle.  I guess loading 6 characters takes a while.  As for the gameplay itself, I'll pass.  If you like KOF you'll probably like this game, but I've pretty much given up on the series.  IMO, it's all been going downhill fast since they moved off the NeoGeo hardware.