Author Topic: Fighters Thread  (Read 2126 times)

nodtveidt

Fighters Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2005, 05:18:39 AM »
KOF started going downhill after 2000, IMO. 2001 was a very cheaply made game and had even cheaper gameplay. 2000 was quite interesting; the Zero storyline was quite cool. 97 and 98 are still the crown jewels in the KOF franchise though, without a shadow of a doubt. The Orochi storyline was very neat. :) I do like 96 (Goenitz is probably the coolest boss they ever came up with), but 94 and 95 lacked polish and have that "old SNK" feel to them...aka "here's a rush-job game with the absolute cheapest gameplay you could ever want". I guess you can't always get it right on the first try. :D

The Last Blade is a very well-done game, but its sequel leaves a lot to be desired. Kaede is probably my favourite character to play in the original, especially after "awakening" him.

One often overlooked game from SNK land is Ninja Master's. Now...why they spelled it "Master's" is beyond me...that's not correct use of the apostrophe. :D But the game is very well-done and very polished. It has a very unique combo system and a very weird special system, and its two bosses are very badass. :) Definately worth looking into if you haven't ever played it.

Keranu

Fighters Thread
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2005, 06:01:06 PM »
Quote from: "Akamichi"

One thing that annoys me with the new KOFs is that SNK-Playmore (or whatever their name is now) changed the button layout to a square configuration. That really irks me because I really like the four buttons in-a-row style from the previous games.

Yes! Four buttons in a row is a MUST for me when it comes to KoF! Actually I don't really play the KoFs after '98 (although my friend who is even more into it than me insists that 2002 is better, but I haven't played it much), so maybe the gameplay won't rely on the four button in a row layout as much.

Here is my KoF review list:

KoF'94 - A start, to say the most :D . The concept of KoF was outstanding by making a fighting game combining all of these SNK characters from all sorts of games, including Ikari Warriors, Athena, Fatal Fury, etc... Anyways, this game sucks.

KoF'95 - Gameplay still sucks, but new characters and cool start for the Orochi storyline makes this game better than '94. Still nothing I'd really spend my time with.

KoF'96 - Story and character improve again (Geese, Krauser, and Mr. Big is the COOLEST team of all time, I wish they could come back!). Gameplay is starting to gain some new ideas and you can see how it's becomming a bit like the gameplay in the next two following games, but unfortunately the gameplay is still pretty ass when it comes to supers.

KoF'97 - When it comes to the best overall KoF game, this is it, no doubt. This game concludes the Orochi story and does a fantastic job, along with a great soundtrack (though they don't play music much in the game). A decent character selection is available in this game, but it's not as good as the next game to come :D  and the gameplay is outstanding, but still just not quite as good as the next game to come.

KoF'98 - Alright, definitely a graphic improvement here since it's the first KoF to use GIGA Power, but the backgrounds are terrible. Music is the same as '97 for the most part, so that's a plus as well. But please, don't play a KoF game for graphics, story, music, or whatever; play it for the gameplay and this is the game to show why. This game supports a MASSIVE 38 character selection (including many extra versions, which could sort of be counted as totally different characters) with incredible balance between them all (my only exception really would be Rugal), and the same fighting system as '97. Not only that, but this game is just about bug free. There are a few infinite combos that are known, but trust me, these can't be pulled out of your ass like in KoF'2001. The gameplay is just so perfect in this game that I can't touch any other KoF game.

KoF'99 - Everything except the graphics in this game totally suck, and even the backgrounds are pretty retarded for the most part. I like to call this the worst KoF game sometimes.

KoF'2000 - Improvement over that '99 shit, but this game still isn't so great. The gameplay is just nothing compared to '97-98 still.

KoF'2001 - A VERY interesting KoF game, and made with Eolith. This is a game I just like to mess around with every now and then in Practice mode to pull off huge combos with strykers, but don't take this is a serious KoF game because this game is loaded with bugs :D .

KoF'2002 - Haven't been able to play this game a whole lot, but my KoF buddy insists that this is the best, even better than '98. This game does look promosing indeed from what I have played, but I haven't been able to put nearly enough hours into this game as I have with '98 to say it's better. Howerver it does seem to be the best KoF after '98 for sure.

KoF'2003 - Only played a few times at a arcade and it seemed pretty bad, though the graphics just keep improving.

Haven't played any KoF games after 2003 but as you can see from my point of view, the graphics have been getting amazing over the years, but the gameplay is constantly decreasing.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nodtveidt

Fighters Thread
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2005, 01:30:53 AM »
97 is the best IMO because it's the only one that actually "feels" like a tournament. Part of that is the usage of music...or the lack of music, more like! The crowd sounds, the music way off in the background in some stages (like USA and Monaco), etc. That all gives such a tournament feel to it. Also, it doesn't have the uber-dorky "taunt phrases" when you win....those are SO stupid in every fighting game that uses them. What I really thought was cool about it is that they tried to make it look sorta like a TV broadcast. The intro is definately the icing on the cake...no other KOF has such a cool intro. KOF2001's intro is pretty cool but not quite as cool...and it saddens me to think that the intro is the best part of 2001. :cry:

Ninja Spirit

Fighters Thread
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2005, 05:46:20 AM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
The intro is definately the icing on the cake...no other KOF has such a cool intro. KOF2001's intro is pretty cool but not quite as cool...and it saddens me to think that the intro is the best part of 2001. :cry:

Lemme guess. Angel's ass shot right?  :lol:

Keranu

Fighters Thread
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2005, 01:34:45 PM »
That ass shot was super hot. Damn that was a video game chick that actually had a fine ass. I gotta have a lil thickness on my women.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Michael Helgeson

Fighters Thread
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2005, 06:18:34 PM »
Spent alot of time on Art of Fighting 3 today.I really love the play system on this game.It really relies more on brawling then the other 2,much less projectile trowing,and the combos are great.To me it feels like the Killer Instinct of NeoGeo.So glad I bought this game!

nodtveidt

Fighters Thread
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2005, 11:28:50 AM »
I finally had a chance to check out KOF2002 today. Definately an improvement over 2001 by leaps and bounds, but dammit...Rugal AGAIN...BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING. It was interesting up to that point. Good to be able to play the Orochi team again. :D

Ninja Spirit

Fighters Thread
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2005, 03:22:04 AM »
Here's a old 3rd Strike match video I dug up where the Japanese whore out that "AYE AYE AYE" alot.

Oh man! that is soooo damn funny! It's been over a year since I was introduced to that and it never gets old. Best thing since the "Mexican Wave".

Keranu

Fighters Thread
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2005, 12:30:13 PM »
Haha, Mexican Wave. Will check out video later.

Ninja Spirit

Fighters Thread
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2005, 05:29:12 AM »
OMG one of my friends busted out a 30 win streak on KoFXI last night! His Gato is freakin' awesome!

PS

I found what I 've been looking for for quite some time

A real Muay Thai kickboxing match with "EY's" in it.

Acutally this is Tae Kwon Do fighter against kickboxer in Helsinki Finland.

esteban

Fighters Thread
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2005, 11:09:53 AM »
You folks might have seen this:
http://www.cooless.com/mkvssf2.html

Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter 2
It's awesome (high production quality too!) -- and this is coming from someone who isn't a fan of the genre!
  |    | 

Keranu

Fighters Thread
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2005, 11:56:19 AM »
Haha, radical.

TR0N

Fighters Thread
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2005, 07:37:05 PM »
Quote from: "stevek666"
You folks might have seen this:
http://www.cooless.com/mkvssf2.html

Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter 2
It's awesome (high production quality too!) -- and this is coming from someone who isn't a fan of the genre!

Old news now when is some body gonna make a, Fatal Fury vs SF video :wink:

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Keranu

Fighters Thread
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2005, 07:10:14 AM »
Samurai Shodown vs Last Blade.

Ninja Spirit

Fighters Thread
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2005, 07:24:39 AM »
That vs thing can get a little cheesy most of the time.

I hear people going around talking about "Sammy vs. Capcom"...

I just can't see that happening.

Bare handed characters against weapon based characters? I dont know....