Author Topic: Arcade Card Pro or Duo?  (Read 688 times)

sicboy057

Arcade Card Pro or Duo?
« on: May 05, 2010, 01:46:21 PM »
I am the proud owner of a PCE Duo RX and a Super Grafx with a CD-Rom2. Can I purchase the Arcade Card Duo to have it work on both systems or do I need to buy a Pro and a Duo? :-k
Looking for: Ys I&II Map | Bomberman 93 Manual | Sapphire Obi

SignOfZeta

Re: Arcade Card Pro or Duo?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 03:06:09 PM »
You'll need the Pro for the SGX+CDROM2. The Pro will work with either system.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 08:10:56 PM »
what zeta said.

and, sell me the sgfx+scd

then you can get the card for the duo, and not have to worry! :D
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

termis

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 11:53:59 PM »
Basically, the Pro will work on any setup... That said,

With this setup (SGX + Super CD-ROM2), you can also use the Arcade Card Duo version and save a bit on the cash.

With this setup (SGX + RAU30 + CD-ROM2), you must use the the Pro version.

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 07:57:46 AM »

With this setup (SGX + RAU30 + CD-ROM2), you must use the the Pro version.

I know this is an old thread BUT why are those two systems above mating?  I am not sure what is happening UNLESS the Supergrafx is using the other consoles CD port?  IDK NEC is crazy with their hardware, makes Sega's ad ons tame.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 08:20:28 AM »
I know this is an old thread BUT why are those two systems above mating?  I am not sure what is happening UNLESS the Supergrafx is using the other consoles CD port?  

There is only one console there, the SuperGrafx.  The box sitting in the IFU next to the CD drive (where a PC Engine would normally be found) is part of the RAU-30 adapter, which is needed because the SGX obviously wouldn't fit in the IFU.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 08:48:19 AM »
I know this is an old thread BUT why are those two systems above mating?  I am not sure what is happening UNLESS the Supergrafx is using the other consoles CD port? 

There is only one console there, the SuperGrafx.  The box sitting in the IFU next to the CD drive (where a PC Engine would normally be found) is part of the RAU-30 adapter, which is needed because the SGX obviously wouldn't fit in the IFU.

Beyond crazy.  That setup needs the pro to run 3.0 software I am guessing?  NEC must have developed hardware on the fly, the "Ed Wood" method for sure.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 09:27:34 AM »
Beyond crazy.... NEC must have developed hardware on the fly, the "Ed Wood" method for sure.

Not really, as the SuperCD was the intended (and better looking) CD add-on for SGX systems.  The RAU-30 was only for the few people that already had a briefcase setup, and clunky though it may be, what choice did NEC have?  Fitting the additional SGX hardware inside the already svelte PC Engine case wasn't feasible, so it had to be bigger (though perhaps not quite as big as it is); it was either this solution, drive the cost up with a different interface unit, or deny the upgrade path altogether.

That setup needs the pro to run 3.0 software I am guessing?

It would require the exact same system cards as if there were a PC Engine being used in the briefcase (i.e. - a Super System Card for SuperCDs and an Arcade Card Pro for Arcade CDs).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

SignOfZeta

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 12:04:28 PM »
Not really, as the SuperCD was the intended (and better looking) CD add-on for SGX systems.  The RAU-30 was only for the few people that already had a briefcase setup, and clunky though it may be, what choice did NEC have?  Fitting the additional SGX hardware inside the already svelte PC Engine case wasn't feasible, so it had to be bigger (though perhaps not quite as big as it is); it was either this solution, drive the cost up with a different interface unit, or deny the upgrade path altogether.

The SuperCDROM2 wasn't released until two years after the the SGX, after the SGX had gone out of production. The only upgrade possible, intended or otherwise, was the IFU CDROM2 via the comically huge interface adaptor.

Not that it matters. If anyone wanted CDROM2 compatibility they were probably just using a PCE. That is, they probably already had one. The price of a CDROM2 and a SGX was so insanely high that whoever was in this market almost certainly had a PCE laying around.

I think its safe to say that virtually nothing about the SGX made any sense and the guy in charge of green lighting it was probably fired rather quickly after it failed massively.

esteban

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 02:11:19 PM »

The SuperCDROM2 wasn't released until two years after the the SGX, after the SGX had gone out of production. The only upgrade possible, intended or otherwise, was the IFU CDROM2 via the comically huge interface adaptor.

Not that it matters. If anyone wanted CDROM2 compatibility they were probably just using a PCE. That is, they probably already had one. The price of a CDROM2 and a SGX was so insanely high that whoever was in this market almost certainly had a PCE laying around.

I think its safe to say that virtually nothing about the SGX made any sense and the guy in charge of green lighting it was probably fired rather quickly after it failed massively.

|    | 

rag-time4

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 11:33:23 AM »
Beyond crazy.... NEC must have developed hardware on the fly, the "Ed Wood" method for sure.

Not really, as the SuperCD was the intended (and better looking) CD add-on for SGX systems.  The RAU-30 was only for the few people that already had a briefcase setup, and clunky though it may be, what choice did NEC have?  ...

Here's where you're DEAD WRONG Necro!!!

The SGX + SuperCD setup is awful looking!! Not only that, but the big vacuum setup won't fit on any tv stand known to man, then or now! The IFU + RAU + SGX setup has the benefit of old school styling (which looks far better) as well as more storage flexibility! You can drill a hole in your tv stand and pass the cable through!

8) 8) 8) :P

SignOfZeta

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 12:23:14 PM »
I agree. The IFU is best. When you're dealing with stuff his huge and conspicuous it's best to just go all the way. Rock out with your cock out, as they say.

Both setups are bonkers, but the SuperCDROM2 set up is really REALLY deep and kind of weird. Game systems back then we designed to sit in the floor between you and the TV (hence the short cords) and not be entombed in some cheap fake wood coffin thing like what was so popular in America at the time. However, even then, I have to think that in a Tokyo apartment it might have actually been difficult to even fit a SGX+SuperCDROM2 between you and the TV.

And to think, the PCE was soooo small. They kind of changed direction there...

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 01:27:38 PM »
all the awesome attachments and add ons are just part of what made the NEC consoles unique and totally rad!
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

esteban

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 02:18:25 PM »
...and not be entombed in some cheap fake wood coffin thing like what was so popular in America at the time.

STATUS: I love the words you chose to capture true "Americana" So damn true.
  |    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 06:15:15 PM »
The best thing about the current trend of huge-ass 60" TVs is that they forced people to get rid of all that lacquered pine, mirror shelving, beveled/frosted glass doors, and maddeningly inaccessible rear access ports. The "entertainment center" was incredibly offensive on levels both artistic and technical. Too large to clean behind, too heavy to move, incredibly restrictive, and all together 100x too midwestern Grandma.

"Sorry, you can't can't buy an Pioneer Elite series LD player because its .5" too wide for cubbies permanently built into your shed-sized shelving unit.

f*ck you, Art van.